Cleaning

Camille617
Level 1
Westmont, IL

Cleaning

I and my family are currently at an airbnb and it's really bothering how unclean our Airbnb is. We are paying cleaning fees for a wipe down..... there's a rug in the living room that's dirty. It look like it hasn't been vacuumed in years. We have a toddler with us so he's on the floor more than any of us. My main suggestion is can Airbnb create their own cleaning team to go to these properties before guest check in and if the owners deny to allow Airbnb to clean on their behalf they should be charged additional fees as it doesn't look like the cleaning fee is being used properly. I went in the bathroom to switch out the toilet paper and the new roll had throw up on it. 

3 Replies 3

@Camille617   Airbnb has over 6,000,000 listings spread throughout 191 countries. They hardly have enough staff to answer a bloody phone, let alone send cleaners into every corner of the world to check for dusty rugs. 

If you check in to a home and find that it hasn't been adequately cleaned - regardless of whether you paid a cleaning fee - your first step is to contact the host about the issue. They might propose a resolution, such as to send their own cleaner (or come themselves) to touch up the problem spots. If the host refuses to resolve the issue, you may contact Airbnb to cancel your booking for a refund so that you can relocate. 

If a home is habitually left unclean, this tends to be reflected in the reviews - be sure to check those carefully when you're choosing a listing. Airbnb doesn't do home inspections and it never will - if you're among the first guests at a new place, you are the inspector.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Camille617  It isn't realistic or part of their business model to hire what would have to be hundreds of thousands of cleaners across the world to clean Airbnbs.

However, if the Airbnb you are in is not clean, then you should contact the host, tell them of the specific issues, and presumably, they will offer to send their cleaners or come and reclean themselves.  If the host is not responsive you should be able to cancel your reservation and Airbnb will give some limited assistance in finding a new place.  You could also just cancel and then ask Airbnb for a refund, but this is a little more risky, sometimes they will side with you and sometimes with the host.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Camille617  Airbnb is an online company. They don't have any agents who physically deal with the listings and they never will. It's like expecting Amazon to send someone to your house to inspect an item that you claim arrived damaged.

Do be aware that if you decide to continue to stay somewhere that isn't acceptable for some reason, rather than cancelling and leaving, the assumption is that it was acceptable enough for you to stay. You can't continue to stay and then expect to be refunded after the fact.ave

Just leave an honest review to warn other guests.