Community Spotlight: Alice-and-Jeff0

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Community Spotlight: Alice-and-Jeff0

Community Spotlight 3

Hello everyone,

It has been a little while since we have had a Community Spotlight, we have previously spoke with @Gerry-And-Rashid0 and @Andrea9, so I am very pleased to be able to share the third feature in the series. To recap for those of you who is unfamiliar with this, Community Spotlight is where we ask a member of our community a few questions and get to know them a little better. 🙂

This month we will be speaking with...Alice.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 17.30.14.png
Durham, NC

*Click on the spoiler tabs to read more!   

How long have you been hosting for and why did you first start?

We just passed our 2-year anniversary in March.  We started really for altruistic reasons.  When Jeff was getting his PhD, he’d go off to other campuses to do experiments and they would put him up in the worst hotels.  Literally, there would be women knocking on the doors, “Hey buddy, would you like some company or drugs or maybe both?”  One had the auspicious name of “The Glass Slipper”.  We thought, since we’re so close to Duke University, that maybe we could provide a better place for a Graduate Student than having to stay out by the highway in a Super 8.  

Read more
We set up our profile on Airbnb, hit “post” and had our first reservation a few hours later for a guest checking in that night.  We’ve been non-stop ever since.  The funny thing, it took us almost a year to get our first Graduate Student so our guests have been varied, unique and in Durham for all kinds of reasons.  We’re very fortunate, not only that we have the space to provide a quiet, comfortable room for all types of travelers, but that we have met so many wonderful people as a result. 

Tell us a little about your listing

Our historic home, built around 1905, is quietly tucked away in historic Morehead Hill, a Durham, NC neighborhood just southwest of the city center. While we have renovated other older homes, we did not do this one. We purchased it after it had been completely gutted and updated in 2013 and we’ve continued to make changes as we’ve owned it. Overall the home is just shy of 1600 sq/ft, with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. The guest bedroom, which has a full-size bed and an attached, private, full bath, is located in the front of the house, just inside the front door for ease in coming and going plus providing privacy for our guests. They are welcome to all the common rooms in the house – especially the back porch, which is the big win. 

Read more
You can’t tell from the front, but the house starts out at grade and by the time you get to the back, you are on the second floor, so the screened-in porch is a lovely, elevated haven in the middle of our backyard green cave. For our guests who like to walk to local spots, we’re only 10-minutes to Downtown, DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center), Durham Bulls Stadium & Duke University. The Durham Co-Op is only 5 blocks away and by the end of the June, we will also have a new restaurant (Grub), Frozen Yogurt shop (Local Yogurt), and coffee shop across the street from the Co-Op.  Durham is under a great deal of renovation and reclamation like other urban areas in the US.  Right now, it is still a series of “doilies” where hubs of vibrant spaces have cropped up but haven’t completely knitted together yet for a full, city afghan. We’re very happy we moved to the South and we really love Durham. 

How long have you been part of the Community Center and why did you join?

I can’t really remember when I joined the Community Center, but it was before it was migrated to the new platform. When I came seeking other hosts, there was a lot of conversation about the Community Center being disbanded. So when was that - November or October of 2015? I do recall my first experience and post. There was some concern on my part that my listing wasn’t clear about something and I asked the other hosts to take a look and provide feedback.  The first couple of posts were genuine and kind, providing mostly positive, constructive options about the particular thing I was needing help.  

Read more
Then some host, piped in with an entire critique of my listing, and not really in a nice way.  She went on about how we mention alcohol in my listing several times and that our profile picture shows us holding a glass of wine.  She chastised me for promoting alcoholism and that I was inviting addicts to my home.  She gave me an earful that I wasn’t being inclusive because of it.  She also told me that I shouldn’t show pictures of my kitchen if I wasn’t allowing people to cook in it. It really threw me… was I really so off-base?  So I hungrily read and read and read and realized, there was a community here that was supportive and maybe, this one person, was not so much.  It also helped me realize that there was a need for an alternative voice that some of the posts were very group-think and not critical in a way that I would be.  So I started posting more.  I never did see another post from that one host, so clearly, my listing was some sort of trigger for her or maybe, she stopped hosting…. I don’t really know but I am grateful that her overreaching response encouraged me to get more involved.  

Favourite thing about the CC / what do you like best?

I like hearing from new members and providing support. I really like pointing to the Help Center to help people learn that they have resources to figure things out for themselves.  HINT:  I think there should be a link to the Help Center on the Main landing page of the Community Center and the ability to link to it more easily 🙂

What’s your favourite film or book of all time? 

I will stop and watch “Aliens” any time.  Just thinking about Pat Conroy’s “Lords of Discipline” makes me emotional. 

Do you have any hobbies or special interests you would like to share?

If you couldn’t already tell, I love wine and lust after great bubbles.  I have been a judge for the World Series of Wine in Cleveland several times.  You can see me sipping a bubbly here in their commercial.

I’m also a gourmet cook - you need to do this to have a reason to drink so much wine!  This is partly why we don’t allow cooking. I have expensive equipment and Jeff is a fanatic about super sharp knives (yes, we’ve watched guests cut themselves very badly before we stopped allowing it). It’s not uncommon for me to spend upwards of 3 hours preparing a meal, so we just say no to eliminate any hard feelings and anxiety (and severed fingers).

If you could have a dinner party with anyone, in history or present day / famous or not, who would it be?

I could not imagine passing up the chance to sit down to dinner with just about any stranger, famous or otherwise.  People are fascinating!

Where would you go for an ideal weekend away and what activities would you do?

Sitting on the beach in the sun is not for us, we’re do-ers when on vacation and want to experience as many cool, fascinating things in the area we can. Because of this, Airbnb fits right up our alley with being a part of the local community and seeing the things that they find so great. Art Museums are a must, and not just the big, touristy ones – the little ones that showcase a well-loved and cultivated collection of its owner.  Recently we went to the Driehaus Museum in Chicago and the Detroit Institute of Art.  Both were just lovely and we recommend them. Food and wine are a foregone conclusion and we have to budget ourselves before we go because we could easily double the cost of our trip stuffing our gullets! 

Thanks so much Alice for taking part and sharing a little bit more about yourself. It is always so interesting! 🙂

Please do feel free to response to Alice with any questions about the above, I am sure she would love to hear from you. 

Enjoy!

Lizzie

Missed past Spotlights, catch-up here:

Spotlight on Andrea

Spotlight on Gerry

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

14 Replies 14
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I always wondered if it was Alice or Jeff posting, now I know!

David
Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

Alice & Dave - What a wonderful addition you both have made to Airbnb and the Community Center! As a fellow North Carolinian I am proud to say that, and would also mention just how much I appreciate all your words of wisdom that have helped me along the way.

Anytime you want to venture across the State to the mountains - you will be more than welcome. As a fellow gourmand we can share recipes and I always love learning about wine.... and we even have several award-winning vineyards nearby - so come and visit - the mountains are calling!

Best Wishes to you both!

Rachael x

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

I so enjoy these snapshots of other contributors lives and, not belittling the others, they seem to be getting better as they go along.

Alice is really proud of what she contributes to the forum.....I know this because she has made a point of telling me on a number of occasions that it is her, and not someone called Jeff that does the contributing here!

Alice, I love your wit, I love your knowledge, I love your calm contemplative responses, I love the fact that you are a forum stayer, you have been here for the long haul, and by the look of that self grandiose bit of promotional material, I love the fact that you don't seem to mind the odd red wine or two!

Although we have both had a similar number of posts I am certain yours have been of far better quality and value than mine, and it will be a sad day for many of us if you decided to ever mothball that keyboard of yours where this forum is concerned.

Keep at it Alice.......and Jeff, I salute you, and here's to the next two thousand posts!

Cheers.....Rob

Doreen16
Level 2
Kingston, Jamaica

Congrats and all the best.

Doreen
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Alice from Alice&Jeff - another unique life and interests!

I always admire your factual and precise advice, good to learn more about you.

Although my two cousins in Germany to the south of the Black Forest are both wine growers and makers in a well-known wine area (Markgräfler Land in the larger region of Baden) and have a gallery of gold and silver medals to show for their prowess, the only thing I know about wine is what I like and what I don't.

Far from a gourmet cook, I certainly appreciate and share your need for sharp knives! Can never understand people who buy expensive Japanese knives but never think they need to sharpen them!! Knives are tools, and tools have to work! There's something extremely satisfying about a sharp knife,. Even a surgically sharpened fruit knife beats cutting tomatoes to an unsharp Laquiole or damast blade knife!

Thanks for sharing!

Mark-and-Fab0
Level 1
Memphis, TN

Hello my Airbnb family of friends. Fabricio and I are so excited to be part of the Airbnb experience. We love hosting and connecting with so many wonderful people and sharing pieces of our life story. I just discovered this part of the Airbnb web site today and I am excited to hear other positive stories from Hosts that have been touched by the Airbnb family. If you are ever in Memphis please look us up and say hello. We would love to show you our historic home in Midtown Memphis and share travel stories with you.    

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely to meet you @Mark-and-Fab0 and welcome to the Community Center. It is great to hear you are enjoying reading the Community Spotlight here. 

It is lovely to hear your comments here @Andrea9@Doreen16@Robin4@Rachael26 and @David126. I too really enjoyed hearing more about your interest in food and wine. @Alice-and-Jeff0 have you always been interested in this or was it when you moved to NC that you got more into this? 

Thanks everyone. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

****oops - upon re-reading, you may have been asking if my interest in wine started once we moved to  Durham.  Originally I thought you were asking why we were interested in Airbnb.... see wine answer below *****

@Lizzie - We had friends use Airbnb when traveling to Europe the summer before we moved to Durham.  When they came back they immediately suggested we should be hosts and we started looking into then.  Shortly thereafter, we were told we would be moving to NC so we never started until we were settled in our new home and our elderly, get-up-in-the-middle-of-night-to-bark Basset Hound, Butch, passed to the Rainbow Bridge. 

@Lizzie - my interest in wine stared a long time ago.  I worked in Fine Dining many years ago and actually studied to be a Sommelier. I was a social drinker but mostly love the pairing of food and wine.  Once Jeff and I married, we were casual collectors, buying wine and storing it for the future pleasure of it. We went to many tastings and eventually we joined a private wine tasting group where we got together once a month to drink 20-25 wines from a particular region and the "host" of the group would give a lecture about those wines. We continued to collect  and had amassed a pretty nice cellar by the time I started running a wine group in Cleveland.  The focus of the group had two parts - Educational and Social.  I ran the social end and my partner, Mindy, ran the educational side.  We had 2 events a month.  An average social event, which was focused on highlighting locations in and around Cleveland that had really great wine lists, would play host to about 60-70 guests.  The total membership was over 1,000 people.  It was a lot of fun and a lot of work for a volunteer gig.  We met so many great people with the wine group, including our friends who encouraged us to become Airbnb hosts.  Today, we're simple ready-to-drink oenophiles.  In NC, we do not have the room to have a cellar - yet!  We would need to invest in temperature controlled refrigerators for the entire collection.  We hope that our Airbnb income will eventually make us collectors again, but in the meantime, it's most definitely, keeping the vino flowing at our house.   

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is so interesting to hear @Alice-and-Jeff0 and it is wonderful to hear how your passion for wine has enabled you to bring such a large group of people together. It is really great to hear.

I went to Santorini about this time last year for a wedding and during our time there I went to a wine tasting class which was based underground in a wonderful wine cellar, it wasn't huge but it was many hundreds of years old. The lady giving the tasting was very proud of the island's wine and her enthusiasm was incredible. It was very interesting to hear how they grow the grapes which is in like a basket formation which you can see in the fields as you drive around, the volcanic soil also apparently really contributes to the flavour. I am sure you well aware of all of this, but I thought it was facinating, so I can understand why you have such a keen interest in this area. 🙂

--------------------

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

So nice to "meet" you Alice&Jeff! 🙂

And welcome @Mark-and-Fab0 🙂

Mariann 🙂

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

Excellent post.it is quite amazing getting to know about us all.I suppose we all have something in common.

We enjoy hosting and meeting people from all over the world.

@Alice-and-Jeff0 my hats off to you and your journey, thanks for sharing!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww lovely comments @Bruce43 🙂

--------------------

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Jeff and Alice are such wonderful members of this community!  I have learned so much from them. I love their photos and their attitude.  Honestly, they can find a link to ANY question that ABB has already answered. Alice, glad you kept the wine photos. Hats off to you both for all you do. 

Alan135
Level 1
Dublin, Ireland

Nice post!