Confirming guests contact information. Incorrect information given to host

Laura4864
Level 2
Maine, United States

Confirming guests contact information. Incorrect information given to host

I have a guest who’s phone number was no longer in service so they did not get my messages . Address was not correct either. Apparently they moved years ago & changed phone numbers ??? I only found this out after they had checked in. 

Different state , different phone number . Doesn’t give host confidence that contact information on renters is current. 
I like to direct contact guests 24-36 hours before arrival . I find the lag time in response thru website lacking if guests need quick response while renting. 

This is my first time as a host & not sure I’ll continue if the lack of current, correct & personal information is not regularly updated. I’ve rented on Airbnb for years & never once have I been asked about any changes to phone number or place of residence. Poor security measures for hosts that have guests in their home. 

5 Replies 5
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

People move and then don't update their profiles. I often have guests stay and their location city is an old one. I would still notify Airbnb.

You'll find out on day two if your payment arrives. Hopefully not booked with a fraudulent credit card. How soon in advance was the stay booked?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Laura4864 this is a great time to make some changes. First off, ask your guests to acknowledge your message. If they are not, call their number. This is how you can find out in advance if it is not valid and involve airbnb. How were these guests able to check in if they were not getting your messages? Did you meet them in person? How did you know when to meet them? I see you live in the same building. You should be getting a copy of the ID at check in. 

Thank you Inna. 
prior to arrival I message them through Airbnb & personal phone. I guess I should start doing directly with listed phone number only, prior to check in. Guest responded to Airbnb message days after I sent them prior to arrival day.On the day of arrival I did get a response thru Airbnb of the time they planned on arriving. I did meet them at check in & asked about phone number. That’s when I was told the number & state of residence was old. 

Having rented on Airbnb myself probably 10 times I can only recall being contacted ..never on my personal number …maybe 3 times always thru the site. 

thank you for suggesting I get copy of ID at check in…how do I go about requesting that? I know I’d be hesitant to allow someone to copy my driver’s license. 

thank you

@Laura4864 You do not need to always call, only if they do not respond

@Laura4864  easy, just write it in your house rules and ask for their IDs on arrival. I am doing it all the time, and all hosts in Croatia, Italia, Spain, Slovenia, and many other countries where the host has an obligation to register his guests

I mean, knowing who has a key to your property is just common sense, I don't understand hosts who give access to their homes to total strangers they know anything about. And when their house is trashed or robbed they can't tell the police who did it. Hosts think Airbnb will tell their guest's names in case of such a problem but they won't and can't.