Couldn't get to Airbnb, charged anyways

Couldn't get to Airbnb, charged anyways

I recently booked a stay at an Airbnb. I have a 4x4 Dodge Truck pulling a small enclosed U-haul trailer. After a 8 1/2 hour drive, I finally get to the last road leading up to the house. Only, the road was a very steep dirt road which was soggy due to being rained on all day. This wasn't noted in the listing. It was really sketchy as it was a single-lane mountain road coming off of another single-lane mountain road with drop-offs and ditches. I tried for 45 minutes to get up the road and was not able to make it to the Airbnb which was within sight... We looked for parking close by thinking we could just walk but the road was a single lane with no sides to park on etc... We were screwed.

I contacted the host who told me that I should park my trailer in a public Walmart parking lot and come back. We couldn't do that as Uhaul trailers don't have a jack, also, if it did someone else could hitch to it and steel it so it was not safe. After I told them this, they let me know I would not be given a refund. They claimed that there is not parking for RV's (plenty of room for the truck and trailer that I had). Only thing is that I couldn't even get up the road to park! It was about 10:45 my family and I had to book a stay at a local smoker's hotel that had pet stains on the carpets and beds...

Is it right for nothing to be written in their description regarding this steep road leading up to their house, my family and I being put into a dangerous situation and them keeping my money? I feel so cheated. AIRBNB said that the refund is solely up to the discretion of the host. I was even charged for cleaning!

Keep in mind, I had to sit there with my foot on the brakes as the parking brakes only lock up the rear wheels, If I let off the brakes, the truck would start to slide down the hill which leads to a drop-off the rears weren't enough to keep the truck still... I then had to have my wife get out and spot me with her flashlight and back down the steep road to turn around and leave...

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Michael6666 without seeing the listing it is hard to comment. We however would not expect a guest to bring a trailer to our place without informing us first as we just don't have room on the drive.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Michael6666I agree the host should mention the steep road somewhere on his listing (are you sure he didn't?) but you should also mention you are coming with the trailer. Whenever the guest has some special needs (like can't climb stairs, have allergies, arriving with an unusual big car or is a light sleeper for example) it is important to mention it to the host BEFORE booking by using a "contact host" button

Hi, 

This is it:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/53866752?source_impression_id=p3_1654374048_PKTgCNhGK5RNnNbP&fbclid=IwA...

You will see in the ad that they say, access to the cabin is easy...

The information you get afterward says that you cannot park anywhere but the gravel driveway which was after the road that I couldn't get up... So there was no where to part. Also, their response to us kind of makes me think that they have been through this before. They wanted me to make a claim so they could refuse a refund. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Michael6666  I would contact Airbnb again and ask for a refund. You are right, it is written that access is easy except when it snows you will need 4x4 drive

Did you ask for a refund within 72 hours from check-in? Because of that's the deadline.

Here is what AirCover says:

Check-In Guarantee
If you can’t check into your home and the Host cannot resolve the issue, we’ll find you a similar or better home for the length of your original stay, or we’ll refund you.

@Michael6666 

It's unfortunate that this happened, but I am not sure that you will be successful with your refund request due the statement, "Access is easy", because the implication is that it's easy to reach in a vehicle that's not carrying/towing additional cargo.  By not disclosing this to the host, it is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black when you accuse the host of omitting information that could impact your access to the cabin.  When I looked at the primary photo, it was obvious to me that from its viewpoint one would have to go up a steep hill to reach the cabin.  Also, the reviews date from this past winter, and there was at least one that mention poor weather, but none of them state anything about difficulty reaching the cabin.

Normally, I would inquire if you have travel insurance, but in this situation, I am again unsure if a claim would be honored for travel disruption.  

Right but it was a very small trailer being towed by a 4x4 3/4 ton truck... Don't you think that if a road where Access was considered "easy", that it would be assumed that a small trailer could be towed on it by a 4x4 vehicle? Also, the owner had mentioned that they have had a trailer up there a few times themselves no problem. I don't have an issue with mountain roads. In fact, I drove through a few miles of single-lane dirt roads to get there. It was the last turn where the house was about 150' away that I couldn't get up...

I think it was more so the weather was bad and had mucked up the dirt road leading to the place. 

I agree with you that I don't think I will get my money back. It just doesn't feel right to me. I would refund the money myself and with my business was happy to refund money especially if a service was never rendered... Like cleaning. Maybe I am just more accomodating than most.

Yes, the "easy access" is the reason that we purchased the stay. It was a somewhat difficult road getting to the place (Single lane dirt mountain road for miles) which we handled no issue but between the rain and the steep road leading to the driveway, it was impossible for us to get to the parking.

I will try again with airbnb. They said I need to resolve it with the owner and that I should feel empowered. The owner made it clear that they would be keeping my money and the cleaning fee. So I don't feel empowered, I feel defeated. 

Also, if I write a review, the hosts will likely write a bad review for me which would ruin my perfect feedback. Kind of a stalemate...

I asked for a refund the next morning. Well within the 72 hours. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sybe  could you help? At least a cleaning fee should be refunded bc they never checked in

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Branka-and-Silvia0 to get the cleaning fee back the guest would have had to cancel which I don't think they did.

The hosts won. Airbnb made it sound like they wanted to get the host to do a refund but the host wouldn't have it. Airbnb said there is nothing they can do but they hope they have addressed anything.

I have a feeling they wouldn't have given a refund even if there was a sinkhole in front of their house.. What are you going to do. Oh well. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Michael6666,

Yeah, you probably didn't get any refund-love from either the host or CS due to the fact that you didn't inform the host of the trailer, and didn't (for the reasons you stated) park the trailer to attempt driving up with just the truck.  You didn't say if it was a last minute booking, but the host accepts one night stays and has a flexible cancellation.  This is lesson learning instance.  It's important to know the processes and policies regarding how to do deal with reservation issues.  Every Airbnb member should have the Help Center bookmarked:  https://www.airbnb.com/help.  The pages are written in simple language, and contains information and guidelines for several different reservation scenarios.

If you do decide to book through Airbnb again, I highly recommend that you review this link:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/695/being-a-considerate-guest.  Please note these key points:

• Make sure it’s a match. Examine the photos, reviews, and house rules to ensure the space and hosting style suit your needs.

• Talk to your Host. Communicate your expectations and special needs clearly.