Covid update in host costs for last minute cancellations

Vanessa1239
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Covid update in host costs for last minute cancellations

I am deeply disappointed Nd angry with the fact that although you have cancellation policies in place if these rules are not adhered to due to "mitigating circumstances" and the guest cancels at the last minute the host is left with expenses that Airbnb seem to not care about. My booking was cancelled hours before arrival and I have spent money preparing for their stay and now they have been allowed to cancel at the last minute leaving me with costs that I feel should be covered under these "mitigating circumstances" my question is how can we hosts ensure we are protected financially when these situations arrive. Also very dissapointed that it has take me 3 calls to airbnb and no one has be bothered to address my concerns. Your hosts are feeling unprotected during these testing times and I dknt see what airbnb have put in place to ensure we are also looked out for during these times. I'm really considering using an alternative site to host my properties. I ask for complaints to escalate and im given the feedback link. This is totally unacceptable

3 Replies 3
John1259
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Yep...the treatment of hosts throughout this has been atrocious. CEO Brian Chesky does big talk while the thousands of us who built his empire get fobbed off with "extenuating circumstances" script from the laughingly called "help" team. Follow that up and you are directed to a feedback form and then zilch, nada, nothing. 

I was an immensely loyal guest writing copious reviews, travelling thru Europe singing the praises of Air BnB, reccomending them to friends and family (and strangers on trains etc), building their brand. Then I became a host, slogging away to earn five star reviews and Superhost status, diligently doing all that was asked and writing (generally) glowing reviews for those guests who set foot in the house, 

A pandemic comes along and suddenly we are on our own. A multimillion pound/dollar member of the hospitality industry suddenly revert to being a couple of college kids blowing up air beds.

Disgraceful. A lot will change post Covid 19. Lets hope that those who have been done over by this lot are able to move to a responsible, respectful platform.

Good luck everyone with the months ahead. We are going to need it....

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Vanessa1239 which alternatives do you think could be used?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Vanessa1239  if as a short term rental business we decide to open up during Covid and use a platform which has an EC policy which means guests can cancel at the last minute we need to factor this risk into our business operations.

If you want to continue to offer accommodation but don't want to take this risk, why not use alternative listing companies who don't offer guests this option or set up your own marketing channels and include in your T&Cs that bookings are non refundable.

Why do you feel the channel you use to market your business should pay your costs, if a guest decides not to travel?