Cyclone Gabrielle AND Earthquake in New Zealand

Answered!
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Cyclone Gabrielle AND Earthquake in New Zealand

For those who may not receive New Zealand news, or for that matter know where New Zealand is, we have been seriously impacted on in the North Island of New Zealand with the impacts of Cyclone Gabrielle.

People have been left homeless due to the destruction this has caused our small country in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

May I please request you to take time out to read and keep yourselves up to date with the losses of Human and animal life, reach out to those who you may have meet on your travels to New Zealand and check up on them.

Many people are without Electricity, Gas, Telecommunications, homeless and lost  and sadly it's likely to be that way for some time whilst we try get some normality back in our lives.

Note it is not only New Zealand that's been severely damaged but other islands nearby in the Pacific Region.

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Helen427,

Thank you for sharing the ongoing situation in New Zealand and showing concern for your fellow Host Community. We understand that this is a challenging time for our Host community, as well as the affected communities across New Zealand.  Everyone who has been impacted is in our thoughts.

We appreciate your call for Airbnb to ensure that appropriate processes are in place during this time. Please be assured that we are closely monitoring the situation.

If anyone experiences any platform-related issues, we strongly encourage them to get in touch with our team so that we can look into these issues as quickly as possible. We remain committed to supporting our Host community through this difficult time.

Take care and thanks again for showing such empathy toward our Host Community!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Brian, @Catherine-Powell 

Please advise your Customer Service Team about these things because it's unreasonable to be on the end of some of the inappropriate messages people receive during such events and when trying to cope with resolving other issues, including Not been paid and services including Government Departments are already snowed under with backlogs and other pressing matters.

Please also address this as we understand Ian Logan from Engineering set up the system to make adjustments for Hurricane Sandy when working at ABB.

@Stephanie @Quincy @Noriko @Emilie @Jenny @Bhumika @Airbnb @Francesca 

@Lizzie 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

A small sample of the news from here in New Zealand on the disasters

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/131212088/mobile-and-internet-outages-widespread-as-cellphone-tower...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/weather-news/300806341/in-pictures-cyclone-gabrielle-cuts-path-of-d...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/cyclone-gabrielle-live-updates-hawkes-bay-gisborne-...

At least 10,500 people are already displaced from their homes across the North Island, including 9000 across Hawke’s Bay and 3000 people are sheltering in Civil Defence centres. People are struggling today to come to terms with the incredible loss of life, property, animals, roads and crops. More than 300 residents have been rescued from rooftops and waters since floods inundated the region, cutting off roads, bridges and isolating communities.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/cyclone-gabrielle-horror-fears-for-multiple-napier-...

The wait for power will be a long one for many locals.

Estimates vary between five days to potentially weeks until full power is restored in Hawke’s Bay.

Cellphone communications are largely out in the region. Cellphone signals are few and far between.

For the majority of the time, locals can not send texts, let alone make a phone call.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Helen427,

Thank you for sharing the ongoing situation in New Zealand and showing concern for your fellow Host Community. We understand that this is a challenging time for our Host community, as well as the affected communities across New Zealand.  Everyone who has been impacted is in our thoughts.

We appreciate your call for Airbnb to ensure that appropriate processes are in place during this time. Please be assured that we are closely monitoring the situation.

If anyone experiences any platform-related issues, we strongly encourage them to get in touch with our team so that we can look into these issues as quickly as possible. We remain committed to supporting our Host community through this difficult time.

Take care and thanks again for showing such empathy toward our Host Community!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Quincy @Jenny @Adele93 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Mike-And-Jane0 

Airbnb were advised at the first possible opportunity of the disasters that have happened in our country.

It appears some are also not been refunded as Guests either and getting the run around from Customer Support for whatever reason just like us Hosts are

Mpore Airbnb Guests refused refunds as customners complain of delay tactics

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/131339940/more-airbnb-guests-refused-refunds-as-customers-complain-...

I'm sure there will be a public enquiry and that New Zealand and others will learn from the Lynmouth flood in Devon Disaster, in 1952 around 70 years ago in the UK and be this time be held to account as it's all part of Climatic Change. 

@Brian0 @Catherine-Powell @Tara-Bunch 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Helen427  Thought of you when saw the news. Good luck with this unfortunate event.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Helen427 great to hear from you that you have survived the heavy rains last week near Auckland and spreading the word about the climatic conditions in New Zealand.

I did mention about the cyclone in New Zealand in the article 1MSuperhosts over $23B in 2022 - you can join them. Which was an article by the administrator.

Sadly, the hosts that live downunder, I think are considered to be in another world and we take 2nd place as we are not the centre of attention like the USA. Europe and the UK in Airbnb eyes.

Yes, I personally have feelings because I have relatives living in NZ and some are affected by these climatic conditions in Hawkes Bay.

As hosts we face the same as other hosts when we have to cancel bookings for reasons being Earthquakes Floods, Cyclones, roads impassable, no water, no electricity and no communication.

I hope the powers to be in administration take consideration for the Super Hosts who have to cancel their bookings because of circumstances beyond their control. Whether it be in New Zealand, Australia, Pacific Islands, UK, Europe and the USA and all the other countries around the world who are Super Hosts.

My thoughts are with all the hosts who are experiencing catastrophes that are happening in their neighbourhoods. Take Care.

Adele93
Level 2
Havelock North, New Zealand

Hi I am a super host of two properties in Hawkes Bay. This is the first time using the community centre. 
Unfortunately my own house was severely effected in the Cyclone but I am more fortunate that my family and pets are ok and we able to use one of my properties. 
I am disgusted how Air bnb have treated me. As I had guests arriving to both houses without thinking it through I cancelled them as a responsible host(not realising the full extent of the wide spread devastation at the time) I wanted to stop them from coming.

Air bnb have since told me I will be charged for cancelling even under these circumstances.

I managed to contact as soon as I could and explained the situation stating I wanted to put my listings on hold as I still couldn’t access the Napier property and I would be living in the other for the foreseeable future.

The lack of empathy and help and just telling me that I am inconveniencing my guests is absolutely disgusting.

I have spent years building up my business which is now potentially over.

To be honest I think when eventually everything settles I won’t be coming back to Air bnb. Dealing with them has re-traumatised.

If anyone else has had this problem I would be interested to know. In the end I contacted the upcoming guests and asked them to cancel the bookings so I wouldn’t be penalised.

@Adele93 sorry to read the situation that Airbnb has let you deal with. 

I would have thought the guests would have known because of your location and where they had booked. They should have been asking themselves can they stay there. Knowing that the roads are closed, no electricity, no water and no phone or limited Wi Fi

Sometimes hosts have to be ready and put into action plan B which have done. You should have not been penalised because you made a decision for safety for yourself and for future guests.

I have to ask where is Airbnb's good Samaritan act is with your case?

I am thinking is this also going to affect other hosts in your region who maybe be in the same boat. 

@Adele93 It seems to take Airbnb a few days/weeks to recognise what areas are affected by natural disasters. Hopefully they will be more amenable soon.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Adele93 

I'm sorry to hear that you've been affected by the cyclone, and that you had to deal with this on top of an already stressful situation.

I've passed the details over to the team so that someone can investigate and resolve things with you.  

You should hear from someone soon, please allow some time for them to review everything first, and do report back if you want to let us know the outcome.

Take care,

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Adele93
Level 2

Hi Jenny

Thank you but to no avail. There is no moving on this. There policy for extenuating circumstances does not cover Cyclones, your house and livelihood being destroyed apparently. The inconvenience to the guests are greater. Even though they wouldn’t have been able to come anyway. I should have left it to the guest to deal with them. Unfortunately wasn’t not thinking of policies in an emergency. They won’t be able to get the money out of me anyway because I managed to get all the further guests to cancel themselves so there will be no more revenue for them from me. The competition on the other hand VRBO have been accommodating. Please let everyone know how Air bnb treat their super hosts in time of need.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Adele93 

I've not had any confirmation that the team have completed their investigation and contacted you, so I've dropped them an email and passed over your comments, with a request for them to update me on the progress of your case.

Hopefully someone will be in touch soon.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Adele93
Level 2

Hi Jenny

Thank goodness Airbnb have decided to come to their senses and waive my penalties. Thank you for your guidance. Just goes to show you shouldn’t give up when you feel you have had bad customer service.