Day 1 - A year of inspiration, connection and feedback

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day 1 - A year of inspiration, connection and feedback

Stephanie_0-1669906794071.png

Hi everyone,

Many of you know me from around the Community Center; I’ve been here for nearly 4 years, would you believe it!

This has been an important year. Together we’ve weathered more global turmoil than I’d ever wish for in a lifetime, let alone a year. We’ve achieved so much - side splitting laughs, heated debates, and connections that inspire me every day.

• We had nearly 6 million people visit the Community Center this year, who read over 20 million posts!
  • We launched our Airbnb.org board as suggested by our amazing member, @Helen3, as a dedicated space for our incredibly generous Hosts to discuss how they can support those facing crises the world over.
  • We had our first ever Festival of Sustainability with fantastic contributions from @Clara116, @Daniel1651 (HAB) and @Felicity11 (HAB) (to name a few!)
  • We launched our Community Center redesign in November and are continuing to update from the amazing feedback we receive from you all (@Mike-And-Jane0 & @Gillian166 especially!)

And here we are, on the cusp of the winter holiday season (or Summer for our friends on the other side of the hemisphere!) thinking of where we came from and what we have next for 2023. You may be wondering what the picture is that I have used - it is an exceptionally old tree in Nottingham forest (Sherwood forest where Robin Hood is said to have laid his hat).

Fingers crossed the start of next year, my family and I are set to move to the area for our next big adventure. But the tree also reminds me of our Community - it is strong, it has many branches, it goes through moments of growth, moments of decline but! It is kept going by its environmental factors - if it is nurtured, it will always thrive in the end.

That is what each of us does for each other when we support one another in this space. I’m so proud of what we have built together and can’t wait to see what we can achieve next year and beyond.

Thanks,

Steph

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

36 Replies 36
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yep, it seems like it. The responses work fine with no tags. And, when the text doesn't disappear, the spaces between the paragraphs do and the tag is moved to the bottom of the post. So I guess it is the tags that are the 'invalid HTML'.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0 

Two things

1) Sorry my son just marked this as best answer 😂

2) Are you still seeing the issue? We rolled out the fix and I haven't seen it ...yet!

Thanks

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie 

Your son is certainly very smart for a toddler!

Yes, seems to be working fine now. Thanks for getting it sorted out.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

I also don't want to be picky, but shouldn't it be 2023 instead of 2024 :>)

@Emiel1I think @Stephanie has always been ahead of the times.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Emiel1Steph likes to really plan ahead. haha I would love that! I live with 2 ADHD types and it very challenging to live with people who struggle to plan more than 24hrs before an event.

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I can't be picky - as she explains the tree 'reminds her of a Community' however I know only of one primary symbolism - if you mention Sherwood forest + Robin Hood; theft backed by a good purpose / stealing for a worthy CAUSE; whatever rebellion Stephanie has in mind I'm up for it, BUT BY GOD I AM NOT WEARING any TIGHTS! 🙂

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

I saw that the OP has since corrected her post...
An example of "feedback" as intended in the title !

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 giphy (5).gif

-----

@Mike-And-Jane0

@Emiel1^ this is what happens if i hit reply again, and the super witty comment I wrote, gone forever......

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Hi Steph, a lovely intro to the month, I am looking forward to others contributions.

I like your analogy with the tree.

That tree has significant memories for me!

If I remember correctly it is called 'The Major Oak'

If you have been there you would have walked down this path. I sat 100 yards from that tree and titled this photo....'Robin in his Forest'

Edit:

No I have tried all morning to post a photo of me sitting close to that tree in 1999 but every time it keeps coming up with 'Invalid HTML' no matter what format I try and post it in, so I have to admit defeat, those gremlins are at work again.

Happy Christmas all.

Cheers........Rob

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Robin4i'm glad it's not just me, am having trouble too!

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Robin4I have the same gremlins @Gillian166 appears to be the same. Maybe it is a Downunder thing.

@Bes175I would like to see those tights and if you did what colour?

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

No chance Laurelle 🙂 robberies for a good cause - YES, tights never!

Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

What beautiful and inspiring words ! And what to say... 6 million people visit and 20 million posts.

I suppose we gave you a lot of work!

Congratulations to you and the great team for always keeping an eye on each one of us.

I wish you all a great month!

Daniel.-

@Stephanie