Day 3 - Life is full of coincidences

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Day 3 - Life is full of coincidences

About this time just before Christmas one hot summer night 9 years ago we were coming home late at night. We came across this vehicle on the side of the freeway, and both the occupants were sitting on the roadside verge looking as though life had defeated them.

I have had this issue all my life of not being able to mind my own business, so I stopped and asked if they needed help. The woman said, “I can’t drive any further with him, he’s drunk, he is picking on my driving and abusing me…..I can’t concentrate so I stopped the car”!

Although he certainly was drunk he was not aggressive towards us and, with 2 small children in the rear seat didn’t look as though they posed a threat so, I didn’t want to just leave them there on the side of the road so after ascertaining where they lived I spoke with my wife Ade and we agreed if the woman accepted my proposal I would help Ade with her walking frame into the woman’s car, and the man would travel with me back to our town where we lived about 1 Km from each other.

As we arrived at their house the woman thanked us profusely for helping her out in her hour of need, the guy and I had a laugh or two as we drove and that night the four of us formed a sort of friendship, we discovered they were short term rental hosts, had just had a bad night out but were genuinely lovely people. As time passed they invited us to visit their place for a catch up, an afternoon tea and see what they do. We had not long previously stayed in an Airbnb arranged by my daughter in Sydney and I had this glimmer of an idea that this could be a good career path for us old retired codgers to wander down!

They showed us through their lovely rental and, noticing the guest book I picked it up and looked at some of the guest comments. I said something along the lines of, “Wow Greg, doesn’t this make you feel proud of what you do?”

In 2016 after the accidental death of 2 of their family members they moved to New Zealand to be close to the remainder of their family and since that time I have tried to emulate what Greg and Nancy did and whatever I put into my listing I hope they would approve. Following in their tradition I am on my 4th guest note pad.

IMG20210127153550.jpg

IMG20211123121116.jpg

IMG20211123121236.jpg

Although they have moved on, that chance encounter with a drunken man arguing with his wife on the side of the freeway that night has brought me one of the nicest parts of my life where I have met a lot of lovely people and, I feel I am still appreciated!

Lots of love to all in the community from Rob and Ade.

Cheers.......Rob

18 Replies 18
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

That's rather funny @Robin4 , what were the odds they were from here in New Zealand?

Are they Hosts here as well?

The written notebook comments from visitors are always a great way to reflect on the lovely people we meet on their travels.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen427 

Helen, I resisted the temptation to put a guest notebook in the listing for the first year because I felt if guests wrote in the notebook they would feel they had done their job and would not have to leave a review.  But, looking back on Greg and Nancy's success I felt I should give it a try. It's a personal thing but I do love the accolades that the guest notepad brings.

They moved to Enderley, a suburb in Hamilton not far south of you in Auckland but are no longer hosting. I am hoping one day they might come back here for a visit and I can do what they did for me and re cultivate the hosting bug!  

Have a great Christmas Helen.

Cheers........Rob

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

@Robin4. bom dia que testemunho lido

amei muito obrigada compartilhar sua esperiencia!!

abraço a você e sua esposa!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Loni56 

Obrigado por suas palavras gentis Loni e grandes abraços de seus amigos australianos

Boa sorte........Rob

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

What a lovely story, Robin. Thanks for sharing.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Great story @Robin4  makes me think how some people (we meet by accident ) have an impact on our lives. It's like karma, like we are destined to meet

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Such a lovely story @Robin4 - you never disappoint 😉

Thank you for sharing  

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

This is a great story @Robin4.  People like you who can't mind your own business make the world go round 🙂  Big hugs to you and Ade.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Robin4 by doing a good deed for another on that night ended up changing  your direction for yourself. From your readings you have happy memories from your guests. Thank you for sharing your story.

Linda3273
Level 10
Sooke, Canada

Merry Christmas @Robin4 and through your acts of kindness to others, you, in turn, benefited from the gift of caring.   It is interesting how people come into our lives at a certain point and teach us something new and then we benefit and are rewarded with a new perspective on life. May your holiday season be filled with much love and happiness and the continued gift of compassion to others. 🙏

Linda
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Linda3273 

Hi Linda, I am a people person, I just love being with people I don't know! There are all these new experiences in life to take on board!

I had a guy book to stay here for a week. There was absolutely nothing on his profile except one wish list item, and that was to stay at out listing......

Lee Booking 3.png

No reviews.....no nothing! He was to fly in from the west coast of the US and stay here for a week and then go back to America.....who the F**** does that? 

I accepted Lee's booking and we had a nice week here  over a few meals and a few nice wines and I asked him why he chose this trip!

He said, his wife was an ultra marathon runner, had been out training a few years before and had been struck by a vehicle and never came home! Lee has had to fight his personal demons ever since and every year he goes to a listing he thinks his wife would have liked and.....in 2017 it was ours!

This is the love that Airbnb generates, I have had dozens of these experiences that I could not foresee or engineer, they just come out of nowhere! I had a 67 year old Japanese woman stay here one night who sat down at my piano and was the best  jazz pianist I have ever heard! We ate and drank long into a night that I will never forget.

Airbnb brings people together!

Cheers.......Rob

OMG @Robin4 you have met some remarkable people and their stories are so touching. You had me tearing up there about the runner who had been struck by a vehicle. Everyone does have a unique story and you have had the privilege of getting to know some outstanding people by simply opening up your home. You are right when you say that ABNB does bring people together, and hopefully even help those who are wounded heal from whatever pain they are experiencing. You sound like a beautiful soul and I am so glad that we connected on this platform. Big Hugs and please stay in touch 😎

Linda
Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Robin4You always share the most lovely and heartfelt stories.  It's been awhile since I have been on the CC but am glad I was able to read a post from you.  Still sad my friend and I were not able to make our trip to visit Australia.   Maybe someday...

@Linda-And-Richard0 

Hey, great to see you are still about here on the CC.

Yes, I was a touch sad Covid intervened and we didn't get the opportunity to welcome you and have you girls stay here Linda but, there is an upside to it. Each year I think I get a little better at it, I learn as I go along and am improving what I do.  I still have a couple of hosting years in me so, lets keep the fingers crossed, it still might happen! All the best and have a great festive season Linda.

Cheers.........Rob