Default Notification Settings

S14
Level 9
New York, NY

Default Notification Settings

Some years ago, Airbnb set the default notifications to OFF when getting messages from hosts or guests. This is a problem because most people do not change the defaults and now it is impossible to reach a lot of our guests. They never seem to know when we've sent them a message. Very frustrating.

I feel that the default settings for text and email notifications should be:

--ON for personal messages from Hosts and Guests

-- OFF for promotional messages

Does anyone on here have any idea how to get constructive suggestions like this to anyone at Airbnb who actually can take it further?

I just wrote to Support -- yet again -- to request help because I cannot reach a guest who needs her arrival lock codes. Support wouldn't have to deal with this nonsense if someone could please just change that one little line of code.

Instead, Support is bogged down and everyone is frustrated.

Just one of many little things Airbnb could do to make big improvements in functionality.  Is anyone listening??

18 Replies 18
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@S14  I agree that the default for messages between hosts and guests should be set to default.

But have you tried texting or phoning your guest?

@Sarah977

Yes, I always wait about 24 hours and then if no answer I try to message them by text message and also by WhatsApp (if they are on that). I can't email them because I don't have their email address. Airbnb only gives out a shell email address that supposedly forwards to their personal email. In the six years we've been hosting our two Airbnb apartments in our house, we finally figured out that the these email forwards ALWAYS end  up in the recipient's spam folder. So that's a waste of time. It's also an unfortunate usage of host time to have to try so many ways to contact guests when they could simply be notified automatically when they get a message from their host for a confirmed reservation. Regarding phone calls, I don't have international calling. Prior to the pandemic, most of our guests were from other countries. (We're in NYC.)

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@S14  I've always had to use those Airbnb email addresses because I need to send my guests a hand-drawn map to my place or they'd never find it. What I do is tell them in one of my initial messages to them after they book that I'll do this a week or a few days before check in and that I'll send them a Airbnb message to let them know when I've sent it. I also tell them to check their Spam if they don't see it in their Inbox.

And I tell them to make sure they have their notifications turned on.

And because many of the guests have said they got the email, but the map attachment wasn't there (good old Airbnb non-functional features), I just ask them for their personal email address. No guest has balked at giving me that when I explain why. And I also give them mine.

Of course this is all moot if the guest never answers any Airbnb messages at all.

I'm lucky in that my Mexican phone plan covers Mexico, the US and Canada, where the majority of my guests hail from. But if they're from anywhere outside those countries, I couldn't call or text them either.

S14
Level 9
New York, NY

@Sarah977

Nice to compare notes. I always ask them to turn on notifications and even include directions to do so. Almost no one listens LOL. You might be interested to know that we can now send attachments via the Airbnb message center, but the option only appears after the reservation is confirmed.

@S14  Ah, good to know that we can send attachments to messages now. That will be much less hassle. I actually haven't been able to host since early March due to COVID, because mine is a home-share listing with shared kitchen. Missing hosting- I get really cool guests, but not worth the health risk to either me or guests at this time.

S14
Level 9
New York, NY

I used to use the Airbnb shell email addresses to email guests because I could use "scheduled send" from my regular email.  But it was just so frustrating because almost no one would find it. Yes, it's good that they added attachments -- but will they ever add scheduled send? It would sure make life easier. I wish there was a way to make suggestions to Airbnb that they would actually read and consider.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@S14  It's an ongoing frustration!  Before Covid my booking message said to be sure to turn notifications in the app on so they didn't miss important messages.  Now the booking message is used up with Covid restrictions that are read only by the guests who don't fall under them.  Of course.

Instead of Support, go to Feedback.  Support staff has been cut way back but IT staff at companies all over the world are often the only department still going to the office.  I have actually noticed changes to site and app functions after giving feedback here:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

@Ann72 

Really??? That is wonderful news that someone is now actually reading messages sent to the Feedback link. I'm shocked -- but in a good way LOL. You see, I spent so much time typing up suggestions and sending to that Feedback link and NEVER, really never, saw any of them implemented and they (maddingly) do not respond to even acknowledge receipt. A proverbial black hole. So, I stopped wasting my time. Since you say things are different now, I guess I'll try again.

So frustrating.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@S14 

Thanks for that information. I didn't actually know that was the default setting. It would explain why so many guests tell me they never receive notifications! I will make a point now of telling them to turn I on. How many will do it, I don't know.

I am also not sure how well those notifications work. I get notified about some messages but often not and I have no idea why. For example, I often don't get a notification from a guest enquiry or request to book, but then I do get notifications (sometimes) when they message me after they booked. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it. Airbnb CS told just told me to delete and re-install the App, but that makes no difference.

I have now also switched on the text notifications. By the way, does Airbnb charge for those? I couldn't see any info about it.

@Huma0  No, you don't get charged for text notifications.  That's the method I've always used. But I experience exactly the same as what you have been with the push notifications- most come through, but some messages I don't get any notifications of. So "reinstalling the app" is likely just BS. It's just more Airbnb glitch they refuse to fix or even acknowledge. 

Also, the alerts don't always come through in real time. I've gotten them at 3AM and when I get up in the morning and read the message, I find the guest, in my same time zone, sent it at 9PM 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Yes, that's true. I also get a delay with the push notifications, but it's gotten to the point now that I get so few (maybe one or two out of ten) that I don't rely on them at all anymore. 

If I have a guest checking in and they said they would message me when on route, I am constantly checking my messages on a browser. If I get a notification at all, by that time, they are already at the door!

@Huma0 , @Sarah977  interesting that where ever  we are in the world, the problem with not getting notifications is the same!!  I thought it was just my poor rural cell & internet service.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cathy463 

Yes, I tried calling CS about it a couple of times, but they just told me it must be my phone, to reinstall it etc. but I have the same problems regardless of which phone it is. 

A lot of guests have also told me they don't get notifications, but now I realise that perhaps they don't have them turned on in their settings. I, on the other hand, get some of the notifications and not others, so that doesn't make sense.

I turned on the text notifications a couple of days ago and yesterday got the first one. However, earlier that day I had received another Airbnb message. Guess what? No notification for that one...

Cathy463
Level 3
Raetihi, New Zealand

Thank you @Huma0 ,

Like you I only receive text notifications randomly - even though I check that my notifications are turned on.  Technology is great - when it works!

I haven't had guests say they don't get notifications.  Once their booking is confirmed, I text them with further information - not through the Airbnb app - so I know they will receive the communications.  Seems to work 🙂

Enjoy your day.