Difficult Guest - Ask them to leave ?

Jodi-Ilyse0
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Difficult Guest - Ask them to leave ?

Looking for guidance / support / ideas !

I have a guest who booked for 62 days - she and her 28 yr old son. 

she has been increasingly demanding , nit picky and minutes ago laid into me for the handyman being at the house at the same time that they were returning home from their short getaway. 

They have already changed their check out to 7 days earlier. They have 11 days left for their stay. 

I’m not sure I can remember a time anyone has spoken to me in such a rude and disgusted manner. I’m addressing the issue that around as quickly as possible. 
it took approx 20 seconds for me/handyman to walk out the back door. 

I live on the property and feel very uncomfortable. This is my home & sanctuary. 

We’ve been blessed to have the most lovely guests. 

Have you ever asked someone to leave ?

I don’t know the policy and can call. 

She isn’t wrong. The things she has called out are within reason. I’ve fixed , replaced , bought brand new everything she’s asked within 24-36 hours in addition to giving allowance for her dog to be at the property. 

open to suggestions. 

I’ve been eating humble pie for a lot of days and I’m full. 

4 Replies 4
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Jodi-Ilyse0  this is a case for the old "I'm concerned that you aren't enjoying your stay as much as you would like. Can I help by contacting Airbnb for an alternative accommodation?" 

Some guests are cranky and nitpicking just because that's their personality.  Some are looking for a discount.  Ask if she's interested in moving elsewhere. She should modify her reservation if so, and will be able to be refunded for unused nights. 

If not, just make sure your review is honest. 

'We had communication issues with this guest which were difficult to resolve.  Guest had a lot of suggestions for improvement and was very vocal in mentioning them. Left the place tidy (extra clean up needed whichever is true). Not a fit for our space and sadly we can't recommend this guest."

Below 3 in all categories and would not host again keeps her from rebooking if using instant book. 

It appears that your stay is in California?  If so, you better hope they do leave in 11 days as they have tenant rights in a very tenant friendly state. Bite your tongue and PRAY they move on.  Right now, you are very vulnerable and exposed with no protection from Airbnb. 

In your shoes, we would immediately change our maximum stay to something like 2-3 weeks.  At the very most 28 days - but check on the exact laws. 

If you are lucky, they will soon be gone, and you will be able to leave them a well-deserved brutal review.

Have you been paid IN FULL by Air for their current stay?  If not that is a major danger signal. 

@Dave1074correct.  I didn't say it this time because I do get tired of beating that old drum. But its amazing to me how many hosts, and the dozens of California hosts, who post here about similar issues with zero clue. DO NOT ACCEPT LONG TERM STAYS. PERIOD. ABB is not the platform for this. They will not protect you from a squatter. You will not be able to collect your full payment if the person decides not to permit it.

Think about it. If someone wants to rent a place for any length of time (3 mos, 6 mos, one year) any landlord will do a:

-credit check

-criminal or background check

-meet you in person

-ask for ID

-call your previous references

ABB does NONE of this except maybe ask for ID. Long term "guests" are paying a premium for people not to dig into their background and perhaps find out they have issues. Any host who fails to understand this is really setting themselves up. If you want to be an actual landlord, do it on your own with the protection of a lease and all of the above. You don't need ABB to "help" you. Trust me on this.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Jodi-Ilyse0  If she's basically 52 days into her stay, why not tough out the last week and a half?