๐Ÿƒ[FESTIVAL] Host Community Green Collage 2023๐Ÿƒ

๐Ÿƒ[FESTIVAL] Host Community Green Collage 2023๐Ÿƒ

Airbnb Earth Day Green Community Collage.jpg

Dear Hosting Community, 

I wanted to express my appreciation to all of you wonderful Hosts who participated in our Festival of Sustainability. Your contributions brought so much awareness to issues around sustainability. We are so grateful for your engagement, support, and never ending passion!

We received so many wonderful submissions, from thought-provoking articles and informative tips, to inspiring stories and stunning photos of you all in โ€œgreenโ€ spaces around the world. Your creativity and commitment to sustainability are truly inspiring, and we are so proud - and lucky - to have you as part of our Hosting community working together towards a more sustainable future. 

To each and every one of you who submitted an article, shared a photo, or shared tips and engaged in the posts - thank you from the bottom of our hearts. 

Please enjoy the โ€œgreenโ€ community collage we have put together with all of your contributions - I have also shared a โ€œgreenโ€ photo of myself!

We hope that this festival has inspired you, and many more,  to continue to think about sustainability and take action to create positive change in your own communities. We look forward to seeing all the amazing things you will do in the future. 

Warmly, 

Catherine Powell

First photo is from Sayulita in Mexico , Second photo is from WyomingFirst photo is from Sayulita in Mexico , Second photo is from Wyoming 

From the CC team - *We would also like to apologize if we missed out or were not able to put all of your images in the green collage. In many instances, the quality, perspective, and resolution of the images that were provided could not work in the final image. Please know we appreciate your efforts and would like to invite you to keep sharing your amazing work, experiences and stories here in the CC.

22 Replies 22
Vasilis59
Level 3
Heraklion, Greece

Thank you Catherine ....we will keep going to protect our World !!!

Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Thank you for your commitment, @Catherine-Powell , and for sharing your words with us.

Definitely, we must all collaborate to the best of our ability to build a kinder environment for the planet, for ourselves, but above all for the well-being of the new generations.

Allow me to share a photo with the solar panels installed on my Airbnb listing and a screenshot where you can see that more energy is generated than consumed ๐Ÿ’š

I share this information with my guests after each stay, also thanking them for the responsible use they have made of energy and their contribution to achieving our green goals!

A cordial greeting,

Daniel.-

Solar panels on my listing :)Solar panels on my listing ๐Ÿ™‚Left column (solar production) is higher than the right one (consume)!Left column (solar production) is higher than the right one (consume)!

Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Daniel, I have a roof full of solar panels too and your post reminds me that we must continue finding ways of promoting sustainability not only in our ow listings but challenging our members just as well. Thank you dear, Daniel ๐Ÿ’š

Daniel1651
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Exactly @Dolly36 !

The planet will benefit if the individual effort becomes a collective work, of the whole community ๐Ÿ’š

In the case of our work as hosts, we have to educate ourselves more and also promote education for our guests.

In the future I would like to see Airbnb also create a sustainability category and give guests the option to filter by different sustainability criteria (currently there is only the EV charger filter tool), but what if they could choose among several options: recycling containers, use of low-consumption light bulbs and appliances, solar hot water tanks, solar panels, etc.?

Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wonderful post @Catherine-Powell ! Thank you for sharing this wonderful initiative. Although late, I made a post in my group challenging members to show their commitment by posting photos of them cleaning up a public area around their listings, like a park or the beach. I plan to do the same and these amazing photos only serve to inspire to keep this going. Thank you!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Jennifer3225
Port Severn, Canada

So many great photos and so many great hosts out there. This community really showcases how important sustainability is for hosts at Airbnb. 

There is so much thought provoking and interesting informative articles in our Airbnb world that we can all learn and appreciate each other and what we go through as we build out sustainable listings.

Thank you Catherine for having a genuine interest in the sustainable efforts of Hosts. Having been to Airbnb headquarters, I have seen first hand how Airbnb as a corporate entity works hard to showcase sustainability, be it the living wall, the remote working option, the food waste collected, the lighting, the reduction of plastics used, and the little plant library.. all excellent examples of what you do, to inspire hosts to be what we do.

There will be more amazing sustainable topics coming forward as we have really shown that the environment, sustainable efforts and the Earth are a huge priority for not only hosts but guests.

I have guests who want to know how they reduced their carbon footprint when the travelled with me. I use a calculator to tell them what they have done to reduce their impact at the end of the stay and they are delighted.

There is a real movement out here.. So happy to be a part of it.

Jennifer

Jennifer Schnier
Marielle135
Chรขtillon-en-Dunois, France

Thank you catherine, it has been a very interesting challenge indeed. Our community, luckily hasnโ€™t picked up lots of rubbish, so instead they have bought or created compost bins, recycling boxes, shared what ecological cleaning products they are using in their listings, etc.

personally I have built a bin to collect guests food wastes to give to my chickens who are pretty happy about it! They are retired chickens from an egg factory, and we learned about not being scared of each other during Covid! They are not very productive but super friendly. 
thank you airbnb for creating opportunities for us to make an little complementary effort for the planet regularly.

nb another reason why my local community didnโ€™t go rubbish fishing is because French are sometimes hard to get up at 9 in the morning on the weekendsโ€ฆ but shhh donโ€™t tell ๐Ÿ˜‚PHOTO-2023-04-22-15-07-02.jpegPHOTO-2023-04-22-15-07-01.jpegPHOTO-2023-04-22-15-07-03.jpeg

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Marielle135 ,

This is amazing! Thank you for sharing about your community. 

I find this very creative of you! Have your guests noticed this and been fascinated by the bins you create? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

I love it @Marielle135   the box look fantastic and I love the stencilled images. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This looks so lovely @Marielle135โค๏ธ

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Catherine-Powell @Bhumika @Quincy @Stephanie  Catherine, lovely photos thanks! 

We too were late with our part of the festival due to timing of our Meet Up but still included. 

Here in Florida we've been super busy with preparing and planning our meet up which was  held April 26th @ From the Ground Up Community Garden the best of places to hold our meet up. With our focus all about sustainability "Hosting with an Eco Twist" where we discussed and shared ways of bringing guests gently along with recycling, new ideas on bedding, laundry, decreased single serve plastics, composting, furniture (recycled vs. new), and much more. There were some super sharp hosts that shared tips and great ideas on updating our A/C systems, smart TV's.  We talked about the 3 P's = People, Planet, Profits. It was our focus to make sure hosts realize we can "Do small things that help make a Big difference". The garden was the perfect place for many hosts to see first hand composting, how to grow your own food, ideas to share with guests even seeds, veggies, and more. The evening was like the best of salads with everything included from our garden even fresh arugula & borage flowers to eat with the charcuterie nibbles. 

We collected donations of toiletries and cleaning products for a local charity that helps folks that are homeless/ and also those hungry. Bright Bridge Ministries-- they have A Feeding Program for thousands and also they house men in recovery/and homeless.

The pictures will tell just a little of the evening - everyone seemed so happy they came and those that missed it are expressing much regret. Next meet up! We will have an online Safety zoom meet up in early May with the top authority on Safety in our country - One of the questions asked at the meet up was "What seems to be the #1 concern for our guests?" most all shouted Safety!! We are taking it seriously for our families and our guests.  We hope you are as well. Thanks! YUMYUMgarden14.jpeggarden18.jpeg

I tried to upload more photos but without success.... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Beautiful post and photos, Clara and I love that, โ€œdo small things that help make a big difference,โ€ so very true. 

@Dolly36  thanks good friend โ˜บ๏ธ..yes, little things count don't they. Hugs, Clara