๐Ÿƒ[FESTIVAL] Unlocking your thermostat๐Ÿƒ

Answered!
Jennifer3225
Host Advisory Board Member
Port Severn, Canada

๐Ÿƒ[FESTIVAL] Unlocking your thermostat๐Ÿƒ

The Ups and Downs of Sustainability 

With Felicity Stevens Australia ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ @Felicity11  and Jennifer Schnier ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ (HAB 2022-2023)

โ€œUnlocking your thermostat can significantly reduce your emissions.โ€

Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 17.37.00.png

Highlights

• Trust is already established when you accept an Airbnb booking.
  • Unlocking your thermostat will give guests greater control of their space.
  • The goal of all hosting experiences is to keep guests comfortable.

Thoughts from Up North  Myth

โ€œI have to keep my thermostat locked, otherwise the guests will jack up the heatโ€.

Truth

โ€œNot allowing your guests to control the temperature, may mean your hard earned money is going out the windowโ€ฆ literallyโ€

Where is the logic in that?

As hosts we welcome guests from international and local areas throughout the globe. What is more is that as hosts we welcome people from various backgrounds, families, ethnicities and cultures.

The old saying, โ€œDifferent strokes for different folksโ€, couldnโ€™t be truer when you consider how people sleep, live and regulate their own bodyโ€™s temperatures.

• Guests for various reasons may choose to have their time in your listing enjoyed by different temperatures than what a regulated (locked) thermostat may provide.

• Some people like to sleep in the cool, and others in the warmth.

• Guests wonโ€™t have the choice to turn down the heat or decrease the Air Conditioning if they go out.

• Guests will open the windows if the temperature is not right.. And your energy will go right out the window.

• Guests wonโ€™t feel they are truly renting a home, but rather a controlled environment.

Thoughts from Down Under 

Down under we donโ€™t say thermostat we call it air conditioning or central heating. 

Most homes in Australia and New Zealand do not have the capacity to lock in a temperature for heating or cooling so it is up to the guests to switch it on and set the temperature.  For many international guests they may not realize that you do not need to leave the air conditioning or heating on during the day when they are out.  Many people also do not realize that for every degree that you increase or decrease the temperature the impact on your power bill can rise significantly. 

I suggest you leave a note beside the controls with suggested temperatures for the different times of the year and a gentle reminder note beside the front door asking guests to switch this off when they go out.

To help guests feel comfortable do add extra cotton or wool blankets for not just bedding but also to curl up on a couch or chair, to your listing so guests will need less heating or cooling. 

To help retain the heating and cooling efficiency of your home I suggest hosts do the following:

• Add thermal backed curtains and blinds that cover the entire window area
  • Ensure your home has been adequately draft proofed. You may like to consider adding rubber window seals to ensure less heat is lost or gained.
  • Add floor coverings such as rugs and carpet.  This will help retain the heat and feel nice under foot
  • Add ceiling and under floor insulation if possible.
  • If you are considering upgrading your  heating/cooling look for the most energy efficient models on the market. 

General tips for improving home efficiency

• Consider the colour of your home and its ability to reflect or absorb heat. In Australia and other warm nations there is evidence to show that homes that have lighter coloured roofs and sides absorb less heat and also help alleviate heat map spots. 
  • If upgrading your home appliances consider switching out gas cooking and heating.  Cooking on induction cooktops not only emits less heat into the room and uses less energy but also cuts out harmful gasses that come from cooking on gas.   

What do we want to know from you?

1. Do you guests control the temperature?
  2. How do you make sure guests are not too hot or cold?
  3. Is there something unique your country does to help guests?

Let us know! Join the conversation.

Jennifer Schnier
1 Best Answer
Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Sounds like wonderful cottage you have @Laurelle3 and you have done all sorts of good things to make it as energy efficient as possible.  It is always good to get feedback from guests and be able to action this.  

Do you have an solar usage dashboard that guests can view to see the power that is being generated and used?  I am trying to find a provider who can do this for me. I know when I show guests the app I have on my phone they are always curious to know more so I would love to find a way to set this up in the cottage for guests to see throughout the day. 

View Best Answer in original post

57 Replies 57
John2406
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Jennifer3225 Thank you for your comments and suggestions, although cas with the Guests who book to stay in our homes, each and every property, whether a tent in the garden (only joking re that!) or the most eco-friendly, well insulated, cost-effective, place, suffers from exactly the same "problem" as the Guests they host, and that is that no two places are exactly the same!

Indeed, not only is the latter true, but also within families, or staying friends, etc, no two people will ever be the same, and whilst that is true for the whole human race (and the properties in which they normally live, work, play, and just about everything and everywhere else), it does come rather hard, and extremely difficult when we are being told what it is we should do - especially as we know that Utopia still hasn't materialised, despite the aims of many who have gone before us!

I apologise if that reply offends you in any way, but it appears to me that those who are higher up than us mere Hosts or SuperHosts , do - from time to time like telling us what it is we should do - yet as far as I'm aware,no-one from Airbnb has ever stayed at our property, or had discussions with our Guests - past, present or...(oh, forgot, future Guests are yet to stay) - so you don't actually know what any of our properties are like! More than that however, you don't actually know how Guests' behave, are, or what they do - or don't - get up to once they have the keys to Hosts' properties!

In a way, your comments should have been preceded by a similar question to all Guests! In fact, that's not a bad idea!

Why not add a question for all Guests to answer before they book, or definitely before they actually are provided with a key.

Do you suffer from the heat?/cold?

What is the ideal temperature you'd prefer during your stay?

Do you like having all the windows open in the winter? 

Do you close all the windows in summer?

Do you..... 

Well, the list could go on and on, but I won't, as we treat all of our Guests exactly the same, irrespective of their likes/dislikes, as it's not really the sort of question we ask of them, as we don't interfere with their lifestyles or preferences!

Whether we should or not, is questionable, but I believe that if we did start asking all sort of (very private) questions, the number of our bookings would soon zoom down to zero!

Whilst I can understand the reasoning behind your suggestions etc, in reality there is only one solution to temperatures in properties, and that is, that all properties should have payment meters, for Guests to put coins into, to regulate how much (or little) electricity, gas, oil, or any other type of energy, will be used.

Controversial? Yes, but far less so than what we are being told we should do!

Far less controversial would be for Airbnb to incorporate a charge to Guests - for a sum of money to be paid to Hosts whenever Guests' exceed a specified amount of energy being used.

Most of our Guests respect our property, and don't abuse the amount of energy they use, but some do, and whilst we would be grateful for those who use more, to pay more, we recognise that the only way we can recoup the differences, is for us to penalize ALL Guests, by increasing our prices, even if marginally, so that ALL Guests pay the difference for the few!

That most definitely is NOT at all right, so it is my belief that rather than AirBnB coming down hard on Hosts, it should be Airbnb that should be the market leader here, by leading by example, and support the Hosts who provide the properties that Guests stay in by paying the money that keeps Airbnb in business!

Thank you for your comments, but the world, most regrettably, is NOT equal, however much we want it to be.

P.S. Oh dear, there was something I was going to add, but I've forgotten what it was! Maybe I'll remember later!

Jennifer3225
Port Severn, Canada

Hi John

The Festival is full of ideas and suggestions.

We are making suggestions, and as hosts you are making decisions.

There is absolutely no top down approach to this festival. You know your guests best, and should do what is best for your situation in your part of the world.

Jennifer Schnier

Hi @Jennifer3225  - so sorry to be late in replying!

What is the [Festival] that's being referred to, as I'd not heard heard about such until I saw your post, and even then, I still didn't - and don't - know what it is!

Jennifer3225
Port Severn, Canada

Hi John, Here in the Community Centre the Festival of Sustainability started on April 22, (Earth Day) and went for well over a week. Take a look at the great articles. 

Jennifer

Jennifer Schnier
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @John2406 ,

Adding to Jennifer, you can find all the articles related to the Festival of Sustainability here.

Many of our Hosts have added their valued tips and suggestions around preserving nature and Sustainable Hosting!

I hope you enjoy those articles as you read!๐ŸŽ‰

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Jennifer3225    Very Diplomatic. 

Great comment @John2406 !

Just heading in to let you know that an increasing amount of hosts in Norway are doing like you suggested: guests are given a decent amount of kWhs to spend each day while staying. If they exceed they will be charged x NOKs per kWh. Many have smart meters with online communication and can read the meter upon arrival and departure remotely.

Previously we would have no issues allowing guests to charge their electric cars for free during short stays. Now it's more and more common to charge per kWh for this due to the war in Ukraine and ongoing energy crisis. 

Like you say: the world is nothing but not equal. One size does certainly not fit all, and being told that it does is not ok. If I hosted a whole unit I would not hesitate to read the meter for every stay in the current energy situation. Would this be possible in the UK? I have read some articles that you actually have meters that can be pre-paid by a cashcard or similar? Not that I think that is the way of doing it when hosting...

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Hi @Mariann4 

It is really interesting to read your comments on power and charging guests if they use more than the daily amount.  Do you know how hosts communicate this to the guests.  How do they discuss this in there listing and is their a way for guests to check during the stay so they know how much they are using and can adjust there consumption.   Do you also know how the host goes about requesting the extra payment from the guest - do they do this through the airbnb app?  

I have solar on my home here in Australia and I am trying to find a supplier who can give me a meter to show the usage and the generation of power so guests can - if they want monitor there usage.  

It is really interesting to hear these insights from you about power usage and charging guests for use and around EV charging in homes.    Thank you for sharing this with us! 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Jennifer3225 thank you for the topic of air-conditioner. 

Yes it can be a concern to the host with how much energy is being used whether it be summer or winter.

I have tried to accommodate the needs of our guests with temperatures set on the dial for appropriate possible temperature for the season. Summer 21 degrees (C)) and winter 22 degrees (C) but guests have the opportunity to lower it or raise it. Fortunately we live in a temperate climate by the beach. 

In summer we have a few days up to 40 degrees (C) and winter a few mornings and evenings down to 6 degrees (C).

Our cottage the walls and ceilings are lined with insulation and has blinds and thermal lined curtains which protects the inside for heat or the cold. When showing guests through I usually say if you pull the curtains in the day for summer or as the sunsets for winter it will help with the temperature. 

The bed coverings for summer a sheet and quilt cover and mention blanket in the cupboard if required. Winter bed is made with blanket and quilt in cover. We put electric blankets on the beds as the temperature drops.

We supply a standing fan in each bedroom for summer. In winter there is cuddly blankets for the lounge and extra blankets for the bed.

All items supplied for comfort are run on electricity. But we have installed solar panels and a battery to try and reduce the expense of electricity that we have no control with the guests.

Fortunately, most of are guests are considerate with awareness being advertised about energy consumption and climate change.

Last year we added draft restrictiors to the doors as friends had stayed and said they could feel cold air coming in under the doors. We are always on the lookout for new ideas that can improve our sustainability to our Airbnb.

Jennifer3225
Port Severn, Canada

I think you are right Laurelle.. There are many guests that will be considerate. 

Fortunately, most of are guests are considerate with awareness being advertised about energy consumption and climate change.

I like that you added Draft restrictors.. that is a good idea. I have one I need to replace. You have inspired me to get that done!

Jennifer Schnier
Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Sounds like wonderful cottage you have @Laurelle3 and you have done all sorts of good things to make it as energy efficient as possible.  It is always good to get feedback from guests and be able to action this.  

Do you have an solar usage dashboard that guests can view to see the power that is being generated and used?  I am trying to find a provider who can do this for me. I know when I show guests the app I have on my phone they are always curious to know more so I would love to find a way to set this up in the cottage for guests to see throughout the day. 

@Felicity11 no we don't have a solar panel in the cottage for guests to see. We don't even have the app on the phone either. I just know whenlooking at the battery as it has a sliding bar which indicates when loading, full or the scale is going down when electricity is being used. We try to use most of the electric energy being made in the morning eg, washing machine, cooking, ironing or electrical machinery when the sun is out and  the battery can refill for the evening.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Jennifer3225 

My guest  have their own thermostat, a remote control, to adjust the temp in their unit. 

One thing to clear up in the US, the thermostat is just the component that controls the HVAC, (AC/Heat).

In our climate it's more practical and efficient to just leave the temp at one setting. It's always above 90% humidity and by turning it off it would feel 2-4 degrees hotter.

I find it's best to keep it a little on the cool side for AC, and warm side for heat, nice and comfy when guest check in. Otherwise they will turn it all the way down to cool the place down, or all the way up to heat it up, forget and leave, only to return to it being way too hot or way to cold, and repeat the process, and even use the heat in the summer, or AC in the winter.

Thermostats such as Google Nest have a feature that allows custom setting where the wall controller has a range. Say for AC you can set the range between 68-74, so that guest can't turn it below 68 or above 74.

That's just a thermostat and does not include the rest of the HVAC.

I've tried several different thermostats for mini-splits where the range can also be programmed, however none of them worked properly, including the ones that were sold with the unit as an accessory.

I now just have easy instructions and they tend to keep it within the range. I also state this in other things to note, to keep temp between 68-74.

I prefer them not turning the unit on and off, or making adjustments, as this is harder on the unit and more prone to break it.

The Airbnb I stayed in as a guest, the AC was off, and very hot and humid, in kind of sketch area, windows didn't open, and no fan. I contacted the host, who rushed over, explaining it was freezing when she cleaned earlier, that the previous gust had turned it all the way down, etc. So she hid the instructions and agreed it was very hot. I kept it at the suggested 74, and it took 24 hours to cool down the entire place. So other guest who check in and its too hot are going to turn it way down, leave, then return and its too cold, so they switch it to the heat mode and turn it all the way up, etc.

In general the less they mess around with the temp the better. Encourage them to leave it at whatever temp they like. Most of mine don't adjust it at all.

It's very efficient. Very well insulated. The windows are all double paned.

If guest leave the doors open with AC on it could freeze up the evaporator coil. And even cracking a window will let in a huge amount of humidity. All it takes is a tiny hole for dramatic increase. Even when guest are checking in gong in and out, the humidity is enough to make if feel a few degrees warmer. 

Not all climates are the same. I'd suggest using a heat pump if possible as they are far more efficient for both AC and heat. My rental unit mini split uses far less than a stand alone portable radiant heater would.

So instrucitng guest to turn off AC would be like asking them to unplug the fridge. 

Edit: Sorry even thinking about appliances causes some anxiety, but a great topic!

For my first two years guest didn't have their own remote or thermostat. It was a guest apartment that was connected to the main HVAC. Guest simply messaged me to adjust it, which they rarely did and never got below a 5 star review and only one I can recall suggested a remote in a private note. 

Based on guest behavior my biggest concern is them breaking it by constantly adjusting between heat and cold, leaving doors or windows open, etc. 

The reason it's stressful is that it would take at least a week to have repaired. I have a backup, but would need to cancel or huge refund and potential negative review. 

It's the same way with cars. Always breaking and not ideal. 

This may get me motivated to take a few more precautions. I also put little labels on the doors to keep them closed. Also need a note on the washing machine not to overload, but some still do. 

My experience has been that people who have owned houses for a while have experienced all the ways appliances break, and have repair person suggest how to avoid, while some may not have a much experience having things repaired or replaced. 

I don't want guest who turn down AC to lowest setting at night, with wool blankets in the summer, then wake up and turn it to heat mode. 

As long as host are clear in their listing description they can use whatever policy works for them, IMO.. AC is essential. It feels like 110 if it's 70 at night. In the Spring AC may not even cycle on at night at 72 yet feel really hot with the humidity, and in summer 74 can feel too cold because its cycling on frequently. I feel the responsibility to make the unit efficient is host. Guest should be encouraged to leave temp at what's best for them, with minor adjustments. 

My guest now, I set temp at 72 for AC several hours before they check in. It felt a little on the cool side. They turned it up one degree to to 73. Perfect! I wouldn't want them to enter a humid hot space and turn down the AC themselves, then each go through the same learning curve to find the right temp which they are mostly out and about. 

There has been no increase in energy use by having the additional mini split running 24/7. Its ductless so puts heat or AC directly into the dwelling, so no loss through ductwork, and main unit works less. 

Apologies for long post.