First time leaving bad review after smokers

Nikki339
Level 2
Olalla, Canada

First time leaving bad review after smokers

Urgh.

I make it very clear that I don't accept smoking on the property. But - guests checked out after a one-night stay and I found very clear evidence that they'd been smoking. I've been pretty lucky with guests so far and never encountered this before - is this fair to leave? 1 star for house rules, 5 stars for the rest?

This is the first time in a year of hosting that I’ve had to write a review like this. I am very upset that Cheryl and her guests broke my #1 rule - no smoking. I found cigarette ash on my patio table and when I went to change the garbage (they did not put it in the trash can as requested in check-out info) I found an empty cigarette pack.
I had to stay closed for four months this past year after a house fire so I feel this very deeply. Add to that, we are in fire season in BC. I live in a very dry, wooded rural area and my no smoking rule is 100% non-negotiable for the safety of all around me in my tiny hamlet.

However - for hosts who do allow smoking - they left the apartment spotlessly clean and communications were polite and friendly.

11 Replies 11
Alice638
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

I had a guest smoke marijuana in my non smoking property. I live next door and could smell it through the wall. I sent her a message reminder of no smoking and she said ok. I gave her a 1 for not following the rules and smoking an illegal substance. I reported her to AirBNB but don’t know what they do in that case. She is not welcome back as I could loose my short term rental license if I got caught allowing that activity in my house. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Nikki339 It's completely up to you what star rating you award the guest for breaking your no smoking rule. I would suggest your pare your review down a bit and remove the extraneous details. "X left the apartment spotlessly clean ('spotlessly' clean? You say the guest left cigarette ash on your patio table, and trash wasn't removed as requested...) and communications were polite and friendly. Unfortunately, house rules were broken in that they smoked in my non smoking listing. On that basis, I cannot recommend X.

That's a good point - it was super clean - apart from those two things. 

I'm very emotional about this after all I've been through with having a house fire so that's why I'm asking - I know I'm being overly sensitive. Thanks.

@Nikki339 I don't think you are being overly sensitive. You do make it quite clear on your listing and in your house rules that smoking is not allowed anywhere on the property. Sometimes it's good to take a few days to calm down and get perspective when reviewing a troublesome guest. But you are not flying off the handle, and that was a serious rule breach. 

I've been fortunate - I've never not recommended someone before! But this really has upset me. 

There's it's done. I followed your advice. Thank you very much. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

It is understandable that you are concerned about fire given your location and your beautiful wood cabin.  Do you allow the guests to use the grill and the fire pit?  Anyway, smoking may not be as much of a fire hazard outside, but it is your house and your rules.  Perhaps it would be wise for you to incorporate into your welcoming message after a guest books, that they confirm they understand there is absolutely no smoking on the propert.  Many people might think outside smoking is allowed when there is a no smoking rule.  Just a thought.

@Nikki339  Does specify no smoking anywhere on the property in her house rules @Linda108, although it is definitely worth mentioning at booking, as many guests overlook the house rules.

Both grill and fire pit are propane. I don't believe we've had any bush fires from someone using a propane grill - but almost every single day through the summer we get fires from jerks flicking cigarettes out their cars. I'm very clear on all communications with guests that no smoking means no smoking anywhere on my property - inside or out. 

@Nikki339 The cigarettes butts out the window are the worst. Makes me livid.

Propane bbqs are quite safe themselves, but a wildfire was started and a house in my rural neighborhood burned down a few years back after a piece of burning tinfoil that was used to cook the food on the propane bbq blew onto the tinder dry grass. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nikki339  The proposed review is fine, or pare it down a bit as Colleen suggests. I've never had to write anything bad about guests, either, (been lucky to get good guests and I do allow smoking outside, but I live here, so they can't start a fire ) and hope I never have to, but certainly would if warranted.

I can relate to your house fire anxiety- I had a cabin I was living in burn to ground years ago in the hour and a half I had been out for breakfast. Nothing left but wisps of smoke. It's devastating.