Fraudulent guest

Daniel9741
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Fraudulent guest

Firstly to start, I love Airbnb and it has allowed me to optimise my apartment to travel the world. I have regularly rented the apartment over the past 5 years & when I feel ready I will do again. 

However I am very disappointed with a recent interaction with Airbnb. Although I do not blame Airbnb for this situation I am upset by the lack of assistance that was provided. Please find a summary of the situation. 

On the 29th July my cleaner arrived at the property to complete the check out of a guest called David who supposedly was in London for a business meeting.

On arrival she found 2 groups in the property both of which seemed to have had a dealing with the said guest. (Who is a fake/scammer by the looks of things and his name is not David). I am still shocked that 1 week after this situation his profile is still live and Airbnb seem to have taken no action on this. 

He had drawn up a fake rental contract and had taken cash from these people. The first was a Ukrainian family and the second two gentlemen. The later sent me copies of the fake tenancy agreement. He took nearly £3k from each in cash.  

I was away supposedly on holiday. So I had to call on a professional freelance property manager to immediately attend the property. He informed all parties that they had be scammed and looking into this I now understand that this has happed to Airbnb hosts before 

The Ukrainian family understood the situation but the other two gentlemen refused to leave. (As they were ultimately the victims of a scam).

This was at 12pm on the 29th July. Thus I had no option but to inform Airbnb to cancel the next booking who was arriving on the same day. Basically they would not be able to go into the property as it was uninhabitable because of squatters. 

I then immediately informed Airbnb who seemed to struggle with understanding the situation and just decided to inform me that I would be fined for cancelling the booking. (They have now removed the fine for this). At this point I was in another country desperately trying to sort the situation and ensure that the guests arriving were able to get their refund (I had already contacted them so we just needed the refund to be processed). The agent from Airbnb definitely added to the stress & seemed to be just reading from a script. 

I then spoke to another team member who informed me to ring the police. Which I did and they informed me that under British law that they could not remove the squatters. The only option I would have would be to contact my solicitors and get a court order to have them removed. As per British law. 

At 11pm the night of the 29th July they were still in the property and I had to give up for the night trying to remove them. I was stuck in the Netherlands and could not get home. 

I rang Airbnb 3 times that evening and no one could seem to understand the situation. I was promised several times that I would be called back. 

On the morning of the 30th July the police were still not able to attend, I decided I needed to cancel my holiday and started to travel back. 

The property manager returned to the property and confirmed that the squatters were still in the apartment. I spoke to them again and realised that they were adamant that they were not going to leave. 

I rang Airbnb again and had to cancel all reservations for upcoming stays throughout July as under British law it can take months for the squatters to be removed from the property after a court order is raised.

Hence the property was unable to rent due to this, I was shocked that the responsibility of this all fell to me and at no point did Airbnb offer to help contact the upcoming guests. But to ensure that all guests had adequate time to find alternatives I wanted to make sure they were informed instantly.

Around midday on the 30th July, I was in a very heightened emotional state as there seemed to be no way to get these squatters out. I then contacted a friend who works for local estate agent and she was able to attended the property with a property manager. 

After 4 hours of negotiations & with the squatters initially requesting £2800 to leave the property they eventually saw sense and decided to leave of their own free will at around 5pm on the 30th July. 

I was then informed by the police to immediately change all locks and assess the property for damage. 

I was told to put in a resolution and that if the guests did not respond within 72 hours Airbnb would get involved. (A strange suggestion based on the fact that the guests are seemingly a fake).
We are now 1 week on, I have had no response from Airbnb. I rang again yesterday and as the supposed ticket was closed. 

My disappoint lies in the fact that I can’t not understand how Airbnb have still not cancelled this guests profile to avoid any other host having to go through this. Never once has Airbnb contacted me to discuss the situation & all it has been is a labyrinth of different Airbnb employees saying that they need to refer it to another team. 

Naively I always felt protected within the Airbnb community and was expecting further guidance and assistance. The situation left me feeling very vulnerable in what was a horrible situation.

Again, I do love Airbnb and I know that they cannot be held responsible for these scammers who create Airbnb accounts, but I did expect more assistance. 

Danny
15 Replies 15

ABNB can and SHOULD enforce "No 3rd party bookings" which is as good as nothing now and use its legal resources to prosecute fraudsters 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Did you read the post, @David8879? It has nothing to do with third-party bookings.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"Which I did and they informed me that under British law that they could not remove the squatters."

The first institution you should be appalled by is your own country government, not Airbnb who is no more than a glorified booking agency. The inability to remove squatters from your private property is of course the definition of insanity and it is at the core of this fiasco. Actually the thief with the phony contracts is at first base, the law facilitating him is on second.

The Airbnb CS Department on the other hand is poorly equipped to do much about it from afar, especially when the local police are not willing to interfere.

One suggestion, when  on vacation take no bookings; who needs the heart attack.

Yes @Fred13 - that is similar to France's insane "You can't evict non-paying tenant during cold months" law.

Why would not French ruling elite pay to landlords for the time when owners are forcibly deprived from their livelihood?
In USA lawsuits started to snowball for shutdowns without compensation during covid lockdowns and eviction moratoriums 

Yes, dear @Gordon0 especially the multiple "I love airbnb" parts. Anyone beside direct owner/listee IS a 3rd party.

Also - in THIS specific case ABNB is absolutely at no fault as they clearly state: "No communications outside of AirBNB before bookings" and the reason that situation even happened is because people did not book through AirBNB - so blame goes to unfortunate guests who do not follow the rules. But hey - some people think rules do not apply to them

Also - since you are, as usual, in the moode to criticize - my post was cleary two part:

1. AirBNB must enforce "no 3rd party... etc"

2. AirBNB need to use its legal ....etc..

I hope it makes it clearer for you as I don't think numbering was really needed...

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If there’s a riddle in your response, @David8879, it’s gone above my head. Over and out. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@David8879 

The difference between this situation and a third party booking is that the 'squatters' as they are referred to are not guests. They do not have anything to do with Airbnb. They did not try to book an Airbnb. Therefore, they have not broken any Airbnb T&Cs. The only person who broke the T&Cs was 'David', the guest who booked and yes, Airbnb should ban him because what he's done is not only against Airbnb's rules, but illegal.

The people at the listing thought they were renting the apartment long term, had been given a (fake) rental agreement and handed over rent and no doubt a deposit. They were scammed. It really has nothing to do with third party bookings, because 'David' did not book the Airbnb for a third party guest. He booked the Airbnb to commit fraud.

While the police cannot evict the 'squatters' under UK law, they should investigate fraudsters like him. I agree that Airbnb really cannot do anything in that respect, but certainly they could at the very least suspend his profile and they could also have tried to help the host with the cancellations of future guests, but Airbnb CS can be a total circus.

Brian1613
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

First, I’m so sorry that this happened to you. Second, as a Community Leader for the club in Palm Beach County, Florida, I will tell you that you have help. You have a community club there.  Join it. Contact the CL for your club. When Airbnb CS fails, which, unfortunately, has been such a problem that Brian Chesky, in his last conference call, with investors, vowed to put some money in to better Tier 1 support training, you need to get to someone who can escalate you as a demonstration to CS management that they’re blowing up again. 

We have the ability to forward problematic cases of CS dropping the ball to our team leadership. I can say, based on experience, that about 95% of the time, it results in someone finally sorting out the mess properly.  

Airbnb is a lot like Game of Thrones. There are many kingdoms behind the wall. Even within CS there are all kinds of communication snafus.  Not by way of apology, for they should certainly do better, but by way of understanding, they are on a mission to grow rapidly on the host side. In doing so, CS keeps growing exponentially, rapidly. The level of Tier 1 support is appalling, as a result. Totally inconsistent. 

Even when it doesn’t because of whatever sticking point, in your specific case, might trigger something that won’t help you personally, it does get the attention of people who really FIX THINGS.  AirCover, is by and large, a lot of listening to those of us in the Community Leaders group. We’re volunteers, and hosts like you. They recognize that we can aggregate issues, and also sound out how policy changes are being received, so they can make adjustments. 

Now, how to deal with your specific problem and get up to a Tier 3 support person fast: 

1. Go to https://www.airbnb.com/neighbors
  2. Self-report your place, under “Other”
  3. Identify the guest who is fraudulently sub-booking your space.  Ask that the reservation be cancelled as a “guest cancellation” so you don’t get charged for it.  Make sure that you get a point-of-contact for the police to call. Airbnb has a support URL, and/or phone number, in most countries for them to talk directly to Airbnb.  They can verify facts, and also work with Airbnb to deal with the guest committing fraud.
  4. Call the police.
  5. The squatters law does not apply to acts of fraud. If it did, everyone looking for a flat would invade, claim fraud, and drive UK flats into chaos. Tell the officers that you want to charge the “guest” with fraud. That should elevate it past the beat cop to someone in investigations. They’ll be better equipped to tell you how to deal with the subletters.  Give them the point-of-contact from Airbnb Tier 3 support that you’ll get.

How fast it sorts out, I cannot tell you. I’m aware that UK laws on tenancy are much more mired. Still this should help.
Brian Ross

Good work @Brian1613 . I always zoom to level 2 when dealing with Airbnb, for the base CS is too erratic. They have been nothing but helpful and consistent at level 2+.

A recent argument I just made with them is that their sacrosanct review system with the strict rank & file marching orders, that all reviews must stay no matter what, on many occasions doesn't serve the brand well. How is it possible that someone that stays in a place that has 300 ravings reviews out of nowhere the 301st guest experiences a stay meriting only 1's. It is illogical, it is almost mathematically improvable, yet Airbnb at times allows it, the troops at the base CS level that is. This is even more absurd when the 'reviewer' was just turned down hustling for a refund.

The 'Anatomy of an Airbnb Refund Attempt' goes as follows:

1. Do not say anything during your entire stay.

2. Right after bring up some tried & true 'incendiary' accusations (i.e. cockroaches, mold).

3. File for an outrageous amount (50%) and you will get in all likelihood at least a good-enough 'discount'.

4. If unsuccessful, count on at least a terrible review to follow.

Is Airbnb trying to be fair no matter how crazy some guest turns out to be? Why? They do not merit it.

Is it to show the opinion of 1 individual (but a potential harmful one) is just as 'valuable' as that of 300? If it is with ill-intent, which is usually quite obvious, it isn't.

When a 'loose cannon' review that makes no sense is allowed to be published it throws their entire review system into question: to guests it is hard to just dismiss and thus harmful to a host. To potential hosts, it shows Airbnb has an inability to make fair decisions and also that such abuses are not only tolerated, but rewarded (by a refund).

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Fred13 @Brian1613 

But how does one access level 2 or 3?

Surely, when we contact CS, we are not given a choice. We get to level 1 and then it's up to them who they 'escalate' it to or if we get passed around from one rep to another who feeds us platitudes but is, Oh, shock surprise, out of the office for the next few days...

The power of the pen and to get the letter to the desk of the right person.

There are many good CS supervisors in Airbnb, but probably not enough of them to go around.

@Huma0 

thank you for explaining – you are one of the few here who I pay attention to (some people are only here to showcase their “superiority” or to troll) - the longevity of the post of OP made it impossible to read it for free (there were about 7,000 characters more than needed and my ADHD kicked in on 500 (that possible the reason why ABDB limits original property description to 500. I hope ABNB rep was not as disoriented as I.

It is truly unfortunate for the guests indeed, I stand corrected. And, if so, there is not blame on the guests, but rather on the host – let me explain why.

You will all be laughing.

On the back side of the entrance door of all my rental properties there is a bolted in metal frame poster attached to the door with the leveled screw heads so it would be impossible to remove without special tools, with small picture of myself, my phone number, my rental license number (if such exists in that location, and plus some locations, such as my Portuguese property require AL license to be displayed outside of the front door) and REQUEST to confirm with me if not welcomed by ME. (that takes care of multiple scenarios, including scamming associate (G-d forbid) if they get tempted and try to squeeze in some people I do not profit off.

Also ON the laptop sized safe which is locked on arrival there is my phone number and request to call ME for the code which I (or my associate) changes after each departure (you all do that – don’t you?).

That is not to mention that there is a numeric lock on main door only my associates and I know codes for – and you guessed – they get changed on each departure as well on arrival when it set to the last 4 digits of new guests main phone number.

And combined with CCTV in hallways of ALL properties...well - I think this pretty much solves any similar problem.

Not to mention all of my rentals are in the gated communities (yes, I am not a slumlord).

Yes - I "inconvenience" myself by having to personally great people (hence "no 00 to 8am check-ins) or to pay associates to do the same. And I pay people to clean properties and I do not refill plastic water bottles. Business comes with the price, one of the price is security - that costs money. And no, I do not ask paying guests to "start loundry" - I just set my prices accordingly (if price per person is low enough to buy a hamburger - I do NOT need neither this kind of place nor that kind of guests) and do not discount to the bare minimum to get place booked and THEN complain that I have to pay to the cleaners. How misguided is that?? (Got nothing to do with the topic or OP - just venting)

So, being as stubborn as I am let me rephrase: it is still an illegal “3rd party booking” from POV of the owner and ABNB regardless of the origin and nature of scam since "3rd party booked with intent to pss proprty to other party".

Owner needs to take steps to prevent these kind of things happening. It is life and *this* happens.

I bet “u’al” stopped reading after first 500 characters … because that is all it takes to GUARD YOUR property. (My long departed father was always saying “the things closests to you are the ones you put far-far away” – some people will get the point)

Cheers 

P.S. Sorry for misspellings - autocorrect, fat fingers and ... I need thicker glasses 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@David8879 

I do think the the host has to spend some time vetting guests and not taking every booking that comes along. As. homeshare host, it's easier for me as I know what is going on in my property.  I am there (most of the time). But, that also means I want to be even more cautious about which guests I accept as I have to live with them.

However from what I understood from the OP's post (and I could be wrong), is that he simply rents out his own apartment when he is travelling. He is not a 'professional' property manager with multiple listings. He only has one listing.

He does not have a team of people working for him (would make no financial sense in his situation) and had to hire a freelance property manager to go there to try to sort out the situation. Most small time hosts do not have the same resources that hosts with multiple listings do. If they did, well there would be no profit in it whatsoever. You would probably be making a loss!

Anyway, I do agree that in order to avoid these kinds of situations, you have to be very vigilant, which is why I personally always do in person check ins (or, occasionally in the past, had someone do that for me if I couldn't be there), but if you are specifically letting out your place when you are away, that's a bit tricky.

The thing is that the kind of person who perpetrates this scam is not clueless. They know full well how to get past the host's vetting process and can do so easily so it could happen to any one of us. The fact that Airbnb seem to have no interest in banning these scammers is a big part of that problem.

@Brian1613 

"When Airbnb CS fails, which, unfortunately, has been such a problem that Brian Chesky, in his last conference call, with investors, vowed to put some money in to better Tier 1 support training,"

I thought the whole point was to put as little money into anything as possible to make money, no? 

On a serious note - @Brian1613 - this is the best kept ABNB secret I've heard about