Gem of the day

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Gem of the day

"Hi Laura-

I am a single male who will be in the area for a work interview and was looking for a secluded place to spend time and prepare. I was hoping that X dates are available but am willing to book the dates in this request if they are not. 

I had a question about your unregistered guests. I am hoping to meet up with some of the women I have been chatting with online who live in the area. Would it matter to you if I brought one or two to your cottage to get to know them better? As you can see from my previous hosts I am seasoned guest who is neat and respectful. I await your reply.

Guest"

So many questions. His work interview is that flexible? Why in person and not Zoom? That's possible sure, but... Also "some of the women"? How many women are we talking? 

I think this person wants to pretend he actually lives in my house to meet these women for one night stands. He has a LOT of reviews as a guest (over 30) but many just say "nice guest" and he has a 4 for house rules. Has stayed all over the country and seems not to be from my immediate region. 

Sex worker? Con artist? Or am I just burnt out and think everyone is strange?

22 Replies 22
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

"Oh, Gem, we're not a bit secluded! Best of luck with finding a better fit for your activities!" 

Everyone may not be strange, @Laura2592 , but those who are seem drawn to your place like moths to a flame. 

Con artist, I'd say. 

@Lawrene0 I copied this message to my friend who hosts in LA. She thinks its a traveling sex worker and says they use ABB as meet up spaces instead of hotels. Our place is about equidistant between 3 small regional cities so its probably a good spot if he is looking to connect with anyone in any of those areas. 

@Laura2592 @Lawrene0 

That was my initial hit from this request. 

@Laura2592 Why do you think he chose to message/inquire with such a hands-on host? He obviously read your house rules and feels the need to be somewhat transparent. He could have just booked a random apartment from a host with dozens of listings and no rules and said he was 'traveling on business.' Strange indeed.

@Emilia42 no idea. All I can think is that my property looks somewhat secluded? And there's not a lot else in the area? And I'm not on-site? Maybe I need to make my info on how much we interact more vague. 

@Laura2592  I've always thought it a good idea for non-on-site hosts to leave how far they live from the rental quite vague. I've seen listings where hosts say they don't live nearby but can be easily reached by phone or text, or say that the guests won't ever see them. You might as well say "Do whatever you like, no one's watching".

I'd say let guests assume you live 2 blocks away and could drive by the house at any point.

As for this guy, I'm not sure why everyone seems to think he's a sex worker, although I guess he could be. It could be exactly what he said- he's been using online dating sites and has been communicating with several women  in the area he wants to meet in person. Not that uncommon these days.

In any case, that's not what your rental is set up to cater to.

Stephanie1933
Level 10
Christchurch, New Zealand

@Laura2592 @Sarah977 I absolutely agree an Airbnb book would be hilarious! I am loving your stories. Anyway, we live a block away from our Airbnb and I say I am a 5 minute drive away.... so they know I am close enough but won't be on their door step!  

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 

First lie: I’m a single male.  

Who cares? Except maybe his wife.

Too much information often indicates a desire to mislead.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 and this is why I get info on allllll guests, instead of just a guest count. My word, please take your adventures elsewhere Dear Sir... Excuse me, does the listing include a shovel...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  I hope you're saving all these off-the-wall requests you get.  When you one day finally get fed up with hosting, you can put them together in a book- they'll make a great bestseller.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  Your place definitely looks totally secluded- that's the impression I would get from your photo gallery- that there are no neighbors within sight. 

And some of your reviews also make it sound like that.

Maybe you should include some photos that look out towards the road, or in  some way show that there are other houses not milles away?

@Sarah977  we say several places that neighbors are visible and more visible in winter than summer.  I've captioned photos and mentioned it in the listing. I think I need a drone shot as I'm convinced that's why we get dinged on location.  

This is looking down the driveway.  It's a long skinny lot. You can definitely see a fence for the property across the street but it's still not helping the secluded idea. It IS actually somewhat secluded the way the property is laid out. But it is not miles from another person. 

Screenshot_20211020-141928_Instagram.jpg

@Laura2592  Gotta love those jobs that invite non-locals just turn up for their interview whichever day you want. That's the part of the inquiry that I truly doubt.

But I don't find anything weird or suspicious about a man traveling solo and hoping to organize some casual hookups from a dating app while he's in town. Honestly, it would be more suspicious if he didn't...

@Anonymous  he's definitely up front which I appreciate.