Had a serious accident a week prior to my trip/reservation, Airbnb unable to fulfill refund without host approval, host is unwilling or states the policies prevents her

Had a serious accident a week prior to my trip/reservation, Airbnb unable to fulfill refund without host approval, host is unwilling or states the policies prevents her

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're doing great.

I'm an incoming guest involved in a serious accident on 2nd June 2022, a week before my trip/reservation (10th June 2022). I am unable to travel for the next 2 weeks and may have to undergo surgery. I have been communicating with Airbnb Support and the host for a refund due to obvious reasons and I have sent over my doctor's memo and medical certificate as proof. 

A Summary of what has been communicated with both parties 

Due to how strict the cancellation policy is, my payment is non-refundable at all without the host approval. Reasons being:

1. If the cancellation is within 7 days of the trip, any special exceptions requires the host to approve for the refund
  2. Airbnb requires host approval for refund before airbnb themselves can cancel the reservation and approve the refund (2-step process)
  3. Host does not want to give approval for the refund, stating that they cant refund me according to the rule of airbnb strict cancellation policy or could be they just don't want to refund the money back
  4. Airbnb already communicated that no penalty will be imposed for this case if the host gives her approval but the host still keep stating that it's airbnb rules and cancellation policy that is preventing her from doing that
  5. Airbnb has already closed this case whereby the refund depends on whether the host gives her approval else no refund is possible

May I ask the community, what are my next steps? Should I just cancel my reservation (no refund at all) before 10th June 2022 as host is unwilling. Airbnb has already closed this case without much support, leaving it to the host choice to approve (which she is unwilling).

Thank you very much. 

11 Replies 11
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Daryl95  First of all, I am sorry that you have had an accident and do wish you a speedy recovery with hopefully no long term effects.

With regards to your reservation, it sounds as though your host is unwilling to refund and wishes to stick to their cancellation policy which you agreed to when making the reservation.  From their point of view, you have had these dates blocked from other reservations and at this late date it is unlikely that they will get those dates rebooked out.  They will still have bills to pay etc. 

You have several options here.  You can either leave your reservation in place in which case your host cannot book those dates out to someone else, or you can cancel and the hosts calendar will be open again for possible bookings.  Some hosts will try and work with guests in this situation by perhaps refunding any cleaning fees or agreeing to refund any nights that they are able to rebook out.

If you took out travel insurance then you may be able to make a claim there and I am sure your host would happily supply any information you may require to support this if asked.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Daryl95 whilst the host should be more honest they are fully within their rights to refuse a refund. It may already be too late but I would suggest you ask the host to refund you if they get a replacement booking. The sooner you cancel the more chance there is of them doing so. 

Do try to understand the hosts issue here. They may well have a mortgage and other costs to pay and you will have blocked their calendar since you made the booking.  If you do cancel you will get the cleaning fee back (if there is one)

Hi Kate and Mike, thanks for the advice and guidance.

I'm trying to negotiate for the replacement booking. Just checking on what the host said that if I cancel 14 days before the check-in day, she will definitely refund you but now that it's 8th June, she can't refund me back at all. I haven't been a host before and I'm just trying to get some perspective from the host's point of view.

I do have corporate insurance but I'm not sure if it covers as the trip is both business and extended with personal.  If anything, I might postpone my travel dates till end of the year but is there a way to offset the additional costs?

Kate867
Level 10

@Daryl95  The host can refund you if she wants to, she just has to let Airbnb know.. and it is likely that they have already asked and she has said no.  A bit unkind I think under the circumstances.  However she is perfectly within her rights to stick with her cancellation policy..  and as pointed out before, she will have bills to pay.  You may be able to negotiate a change of dates with your host but to be honest, in your position I would probably try to claim on the insurance.

Thanks Kate, yeah I realized this is quite a difficult host and am surprised of the outcome since she has been close to a 5 star rating on 2,000 reviews. 

Alright, I guess this means cancelling the reservation and claiming it is the best way forward for now. 

Kate867
Level 10

@Daryl95  If you do cancel she will get paid and those dates will be made available for others to book enabling her to possibly ‘double dip’.  At the very least, ask for the cleaning fee back.

@Kate867 Yeah, but the cleaning fee only amounts to 5% of the cost. I feel like cancellation policy should be revamped for serious unforeseen circumstances for this..

@Daryl95 

You situation/accident is sad, I hope you had a great recovery since.

i agree with you that the cancellation policy could be reviewed if AirBNB would themselves refund guest with serious cancellation reason, out of their millions of profit.

but for host that are honest people like most of us, to rent a single room in our houses or another property, it incur cost.

why would host have to pay (for their lost of renting income) for your accident?

Annie

@Daryl95 The host is not difficult- she is just following the cancellation policy. Travel insurance is for situations like yours - you make sure you are covered in case of accidents. The host should not be your travel insurance and I don’t understand why you would even expect that. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Daryl95 

I'm sorry this happened to you but these sort of circumstances are exactly what travel insurance is for .

what  you are asking for by wanting a full refund - is in effect - asking the host to be out of pocket by covering the cost of your booking - which would be unfair.

i agree that the best solution is to ask the host if they can get a replacement booking to offer you a proportional refund (if you didn't take out travel insurance) 

Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Daryl95 

AirBNB host have different type of cancellation policy. And you agreed to book that place with that specific cancellation policy.

you agreed to take that risk. Why is it now unfair? Why is the host would have to pay (lost of income) for a risk he has decided not to take?

Note that he took the risk to lose potential guest that would not book his place because of his cancellation policy.

each one of us decide on the risk we are willing to deal with, always hopping that this risk will not happened. But when it happens, we should not try to burden the other with the risk we have chosen ourselves.

Annie