Help me pick an exterior paint

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Help me pick an exterior paint

I bought my house 2 years ago and it needs painting. This is it. It looks fine but there are 4 other white houses with very similar styles on a street of about 14 or 15 residences. My dilemma? It has to coordinate somewhat with the neighbors (pictured) but it can't copy them exactly. And we are obviously in a village of historic homes so I would like the paint to be respectful of that. Color suggestions? I know some of you love to decorate and I can use the help!This is my houseThis is my houseright side neighborright side neighborleft side neighborleft side neighboracross the streetacross the streettwo doors down-- two doors on the other side looks like mine and is whitetwo doors down-- two doors on the other side looks like mine and is white

2 Replies 2
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

There are actually so many ways you could go with this. One thing you could do is search historic paint colours to see which ones would have been traditional for your period of property. You might be surprised by the results.

Some higher end paint companies actually specify this. I am not sure which ones you have in Australia, but here Little Greene and Farrow and Ball are a couple of examples. 

In London, one of the most famous streets is Portobello Road, and that is largely because the houses are all painted different colours (also a lot of the surrounding roads) and people find that absolutely charming because you don't see so much of that in London.

Try googling it and maybe you will get some inspiration. You might need to scroll a bit though as a lot of the more popular search results show the more outrageous (some might say garish colours) but mostly it is not garish at all in reality and I think a sunny country can probably handle it better than the UK!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

I have no idea if they are active on the CC anymore, but @Alice-and-Jeff0 were the experts in paint colours and gave me some useful advice. Hopefully they will see this.