Host Cancelling

Imogen49
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Host Cancelling

Hello - my Host asked me to cancel my reservation. They said “can you please cancel this booking as I have already got a housemate feel free to rebook again in future if I readvertise” - I said they should cancel and not violate Airbnbs policy for guests not to cancel for hosts.

They then sent me a request to change the dates, completely different dates to my planned trip. I declined and again asked the Host to cancel.

The Host then sent me another message saying the room was available. This felt odd and the whole interaction had been strange. I declined and asked the Host to proceed cancelling. I rang Airbnb for advice, they wanted to speak to the Host understandably and get the full picture.

Immediately after speaking to Airbnb, the Host rang my mobile and said someone else was in the property and took his phone and hijacked his house and they will only leave if I show up to the booking. He wasn’t happy to hear that Airbnb would contact him and seemed agitated to know I contacted Airbnb for help. None of this made sense and was very bizarre.

The following morning the Host rang my mobile and was unhappy when I couldn’t stay on the phone as I was at work and left voicemails saying I was being rude and not co-operating. He seemed very desperate that I stay, and it was all round unusual behavior.

Airbnb didn’t update me and closed both my threads of communication. So currently I have no confirmation I’ll get a refund - this situation isn’t normal is it? This Host is also giving Super Hosts a bad name.

Would really appreciate any advice on this!

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Imogen49 

If the essential communication is in the message system, then contact Airbnb again and let them read it. Then they should cancel the reservation on behalf of the host and you will get full refund.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Imogen49! Just so you know, I have passed this on to the team, so that they can investigate this for you. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Imogen49 you are being conned . you do not need to cancel or talk to this person . if you have the messages where the host is asking you to cancel and telling you they have a housemate then that is all you need to show Airbnb. the rest is not anything you should be worried about because whatever is going on , you will never know . Please pass this info only to airbnb. H

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello again @Imogen49, just a quick update from the team. I was informed that someone will be in touch with you as soon as possible. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen