Host Review Rating

Jo271
Level 2
Jackson, MS

Host Review Rating

Just would like to ask if anyone has an idea on how Airbnb ratings are being calculated. If you received even one low star rating, let's say 3 stars, your property rating drastically dropped but even if you get  four 5 stars overall rating in a row, still nothing happens to your overall property rating. 

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jo271 it is just mathematics - If you have a 5 star rating then more 5 star awards won't change your average but a 3 star award will.

It's true which is ridiculous. They are not there to help the host.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jo271 Indeed I always found the rules of Mathematics ridiculous and cannot understand why anyone would ever study it at degree level. I guess it is lucky that not everyone feels this way or we wouldn't have all the clever things in life that are based on mathematics.

It's the how mathematics works at Airbnb. Mathematics in the real sense is reasonable.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Ouch!

While I find your comment funny, let's face it, the review/ratings system can come as a bit of a shock to new hosts... It is hard at first to get your head around why one bad rating can make such a big difference when all your other ratings are great. 

Meanwhile, I have been trying to explain basic maths (and I am not good at maths, but this is really BASIC) to another clueless CS rep: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Superhost-stats-Is-anyone-else-seeing-something-weird/m-...

My ratings say I am online for Superhost status. The stats on my dashboard say I am not, by a long stretch. When trying to get this glitch sorted, CS rep tells me that 2+2 = 3 and then treats me like a dimwit. As you can imagine, I did not take kindly to that.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Jo271  There are a number of 5* ratings calculators on the Internet. You can easily find one and figure out how many reviews it will take to bump your ratings up. Once you get a lower rating, it can take quite a while to bring your ratings back up. Fair? I don't know.....but that's the way it is. 

At least it will give you some idea of the damage done, and how long it will take to improve. 

Cheers,

Kia