Host demanding a new sofa

Kashif14
Level 2
Munich, Germany

Host demanding a new sofa

During my month long stay at an Airbnb last month, I accidentally dropped iron on the sofa which left an inch long mark on the sofa. I informed the Host about this and offered to compensate for that. Now the host sent me a request for $600 saying that she has to buy a new sofa. I feel like it is an unfair demand because I didn't ruin the whole sofa. An accident happen and yes, it makes the sofa look not so nice anymore but is demanding a new sofa justifiable?

Thanks for help.

NKggywy1.jpg

6 Replies 6
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Kashif14 I do think demanding to replace whole sofa is unfair based on several factors: (1) proof of how much sofa cost, (2) date sofa was purchased to determine normal wear and tear, (3) cost to replace the cushion. Sofa already look pretty worn.  So, as a guest, I would suggest cost to replace cover (and cushion if burn went through) even if color is not an exact match. 

Just my opinion. 

@Kashif14   The host surely knows her claim is ridiculous. Only an absolute idiot would throw away a whole sofa over a superficial mark. What she's hoping for is that when you decline the charge (and of course you should), Airbnb's insurance scheme ("AirCover") will take over and buy her a brand new sofa to replace her somewhat worn-out old one. Unfortunately, the only way to get there is to stick the guest into the middle.

This appears to be a lower-end sofa that would be just as usable with a slipcover to conceal the mark. Those run between $100-150, which would be a fair amount to offer.

Hello6
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1415/getting-charged-for-damage

@Kashif14Thank you for honestly telling your host you had damaged the property.  You deserve a thank you from all hosts as your honesty is very rare.  In regards to your concern on the claim amount - Yikes - if this was as described and happened to us - we would have taken the photos - called for repair price quotes or if lucky IKEA replacement cover and delivery if IKEA furniture.   Then we would have decided if we would want to actually spend the money you send us for a viable repair cost or to order a new couch and eat some losses.  We make this armchair judgement call from the comforts of hosting in a large city with quick, simple, and choices of access to repairs and replacements.  The costs of damage change significantly the farther of the beaten track you travel.  Of course insurance happens for issues like this as well.  We hope that Airbnb, You and the Hosts can find a viable solution.  Please! Do post an update here on what and how much you do pay in the end.  We ask for this update as Guests who are honest like yourself should hopefully not have to pay crazy for random accident damages and Hosts as well should not have to eat Crazy costs for random accident damages.  Good Luck to all involved.  

Kashif14
Level 2
Munich, Germany

@Hello6  just updating you guys: Airbnb took a look into this case and decided that host should get reimbursed to buy a new couch. So they asked me to pay the full amount of roughly $500 (they removed the extra $100 on top which I think the host couldn't provide the documentation for). I still find it unfair that why the whole couch needs to be replaced by a new one. But I guess there is not much I can do now?

Hello6
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

@Kashif14your honesty has probably saved you a lot more money then what could have happened and has saved the host an unimaginable amount of time, energy and money.  As an honest guest your next travels should be no problems.  Not sure what your financial situation is (€500 is a lot of money) and if it would be difficult to pay all at once perhaps Airbnb or the host can help in a way to make payments over a period of time?   It is our understanding that there is a new insurance system coming soon for guests that should help such as air cover helps for hosts if something like this occurs again?  Absolutely- as a host - we thank you for being honest and forward about the damage that happened and for taking the steps to make sure you and the host are both made whole again.  Our experience with damages is that it rare for the persons who caused the damage to come forward.    Good Luck in your next travels and if you have not had a chance to be a host we highly recommend setting up a listing and hosting if you can.  🙂  

Hello6
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Super thank you for the updates as well.  It is good for hosts and guests to be able to read and see that problems are resolved in a timely and organized way to the benefit of all involved.