Host doubling price after confirmed booking?

Host doubling price after confirmed booking?

Hello and Happy New Year!

My host sent a request to more than double the cost of my booking after it had already been confirmed, claiming that airbnb has not updated her prices. I contacted Airbnb and they confirmed that they do not, in fact, update or otherwise manipulate prices on behalf of hosts. It's pretty clear that they forgot to update High season prices (December '22 booking in the caribbean), and while I am understanding of their situation it feels very unfair to me to double my cost after a booking was confirmed. Any advise?

Thank you very much!

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Carla1308 The host should really live with this as it is their error (most likely). You can just reject the request for more money. Sadly this will mean the chances of a stress-free holiday are much reduced as the host could just cancel your reservation a few weeks before your trip leaving you with nowhere to stay.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Carla1308 You don't have to accept the request. It is true that the host sets the price, not Airbnb, but platform glitches that affect pricing negatively for hosts are not uncommon. However, the fact the host said "Airbnb has not updated..." hints at using Airbnb as an excuse for not managing their pricing, rather than being the victim of a glitch.

Given the red flags with this booking, I would advise you to rethink keeping it. There's an increased likelihood you'll find things going south for you, either through an unexpected cancellation, or if not that, then problems during the stay. You can request Airbnb cancel it for you with refund, based on what has transpired.