Host rating system isnt fair

Ryan2201
Level 2
New York, NY

Host rating system isnt fair

A guest can rate 5 stars in all 6 categories (location, value, check in, accuracy, cleanliness, communication) and still get a 1 star rating if guests put 1 star as the over all rating. Why is the over all rating not the average of all categories? A guest rated me 5 in all categories but gave me a 1 star over all rating then how would i know what i would need to improve on? Kind of doesnt make sense. I understand there are ratings for different categories but it doesnt hold any weight

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ryan2201  Sometimes guests will rate a place highly in all categories but a star lower overall because of something that didn't fall into one of the other categories, like maybe they found the bed uncomfortable, or the towels were scratchy or threadbare. 

But 5 stars in all categories sounds to me like the guest just made an error and hit 1 instead of 5. It's happened to other hosts.

When they messaged the guest to ask what was wrong, the guest was shocked and apologetic.

What's really unfair is that even when those guests contact Airbnb to say they made a big error and to please change it to 5 stars, Airbnb refuses to do so.

The whole rating system is useless, as far as I'm concerned, because it's totally subjective.

What might be a 5* location for one guest might be a 2* for another, and neither the host nor other guests really know why that rating was given, unless it is explained in the written review.