Hosts having problems with Airbnb?

Maria2401
Level 2
Log Cabin, TX

Hosts having problems with Airbnb?

Hi is anyone else having problems getting a helpful response from Airbnb's 'help centre'?  I note the 'contact us' phone line is no longer available to hosts... or 'super' hosts.  I have been having a nightmare - with bots closing down threads and the so-called support team, deliberately it seems, refusing to help.  No one will call me as I have repeatedly requested.  Making Formal Complaints doesn't help.  

So as my day job is journalism... I have decided to do a news feature - if any others, like me, feel at the end of their tether with the company...  Include your name if you wish to be quoted.  I mainly work for the BBC so I'm sure the likes of You and Yours etc will be interested in hearing what is going on behind the scenes especially in these difficult times.  FYI I have asked the UK press office to put up a manager for an interview to ensure the pieces I do are balanced.

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Maria2401 

Interesting , strange nobody is replying....

Mike2164
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Hi.  I have had only ONE issue with airbnb since January of this year, and like you, I have had NO one contact me--since January !!  I seriously have made dozens of attempts, my tickets would get deleted as well, I even tried to reach out via a customer feedback link in the hopes that a set of human eyes might read it and be able to help me.  I started to document my journey only since August so I could "prove" that this is legitimate.  Check out my twitter MikeLuk1 and it will explain everything.

Mike2164
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Also, in this same Help Discussion Room, if you search a little, there are people with the exact same complaints....!

Mike2164
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Here is an interesting article.... It appears that since Airbnb is about to go public, the bottom line needs to show more money so, apparently, payout money is "lost" because of a "glitch".... Well, my "glitch" seems to have lasted for 8 months now....!!!  I think this could be a huge story.  I think there are a lot MORE people being cheated and I definitely think (like this other reporter mentioned), it most likely relates to the company wanting to look more profitable now that they are on the verge of going public !

Mike2164
Level 2
Dallas, TX
Mike2164
Level 2
Dallas, TX

And don't forget to mention this in your article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/airbnb-hosts-getting-almost-nothing-from-250-million-relief-fund.htm...

Typical corporate greed.  And it matches the pattern, right?  Take the government money and don't pay out hosts, both to boost the value so that the IPO will be huge....

Mike2164
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Hope this helps also.... Sorry for blowing up your feed here.... 🙂

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Payout-issues/td-p/1323318

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Maria2401  I'm here in the UK where the BBC and the Radio 4 programme You and Yours is based.

I called Airbnb last week about an issues with a guest last week and got through in 5 minutes. Before that I haven't needed to contact them since last year so can't comment on wider issues around what their service has been like during Covid. If you want to pitch a story to the Beeb just do a search on these forums...lots are complaining about difficulties getting through.

A much more interesting consumer story would be the Airbnb welfare grants it gave out - allegedly to long standing superhosts with one or two listings who had lost all income -  but which mysteriously in many cases ending up going to US hosts (a third of the total given out across the world) many of whom had only hosted for a year or so, had multiple listings and others sources of income), rather than going to poorer hosts in tourist areas in countries without welfare systems who were completely reliant on Airbnb income.

What do you do for the BBC out in Texas? And what issue are you encountering with Airbnb -perhaps the community here can advise?