How do you charge a guest to clean up after a dog?

Answered!
Michael5778
Level 2
Arlington, VA

How do you charge a guest to clean up after a dog?

It is absolutely ridiculous Airbnb does not have an option for a pet cleaning fee.  You can charge for an extra human, but not a animal that leaves 10 pounds of fur behind and slobbered everywhere for 3 days.  Makes NO sense. 

I now have one cleaner, after each stay with a dog, dedicated to cleaning up dog hair and I am very close to not allowing dogs.   How do you charge a guest for the extra time and in my case, person, that has to clean up after the dog? 

Does anyone not allow dogs? 

1 Best Answer
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Michael5778 I love all  animals, but Airbnb is not the platform on which to be a pet friendly host, so my listing is no pets. Funny how Airbnb push hosts to allow pets, but offer nothing in the way of support in return. Here is an interesting post on the subject of pets. Read through the comments. Great food for thought.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/New-to-Hosting/New-host-pet-stay-without-notice-advice/td-p/1419...

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35
Marissa160
Level 10
Dallas, TX

@Michael5778  You can charge the guest a pet cleaning fee through the Resolutions Center. I do this for my guests before the stay and Airbnb gives them 72 hours to respond (pay or decline). All my guests so far have paid (I am a new host).

NOT a good solution! AirBnB should offer a pet fee as part of the reservation process! No different than a cleaning fee or an extra guest fee.

Using the resolution center puts the burden on the host and is a big time hassle!

@Mark1723 The only problem with this, Mark, is when they roll it into the "Guest Paid" the guest has to pay an extra 14.2% Service Fee and extra OCC tax on the Pet Fee. It may not be that much, but some guests take exception to somewhat hidden fees. 

Example: $75 pet fee ( 75x.1412 (service fee)x .0838 (OCC Tax) = Extra $16.94

The guest ends up paying $92 when they were only quoted $75. 

I really like being honest and upfront with the guest. This is a little deceiving to me.

Also, and correct me if I am wrong, the host is charged another 3% on the $75 when it is paid out. 

I do believe it is more ethical to be upfront with the guest from the start by letting them know that there is a $75 pet fee only and you will request it after they check in and are settled. I try to put myself in the shoes of the guest sometimes. 

Hi I currently clean a few air bnb’s and yes it’s very difficult to clean up after pet hair it takes me an extra 2 hours just to vacuum, it is a 3,300 sq ft. Home. I asked the host to please let me know when there are pets s I can prepare to be there an extra 2 hours. I am disappointed in the host because I found out he charges a $350 cleaning fee and a $200 pet fee. I only get paid $200 per cleaning and it usually takes me between 8-12 hours to clean the entire home. Does anyone know if that is fair is the cleaning fee of $350 going to something else, I do bring the supplies toilet paper, paper towels etc. Should I ask him about the cleaning fee?

Wow. You should definitely get more when there are pets staying if you have to be there more time. I do not allow pets because we are worried about having to replace furniture sooner than we would otherwise and we do our own cleaning and have mild dog allergies. Human hair is bad enough!

Hi Carin!  You should charge a market rate for cleaning including an additional amount for “deep cleans” after pets.  Owners charge cleaning fees that the market can bear on the guest side as there are lots of hidden costs of being the owner (replacing towels and linens, paint / wear & tear touch ups, scheduling cleaners and maintenance folks,etc).  The pet fee can be looked at as going to a damages pool that is eventually used for big damages not just for cleaning.  If a pet destroys screens, furniture, carpet, scratching of doors, etc.  a 200 fee is not going to cover it and Aircover is questionable as a recovery mechanism.  I personally give the entire cleaning fee to my cleaner but understand why not everyone does.  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I don't allow dogs. I have not problem getting booked by no-dog traveling people. Just the way I like it. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Michael5778 I love all  animals, but Airbnb is not the platform on which to be a pet friendly host, so my listing is no pets. Funny how Airbnb push hosts to allow pets, but offer nothing in the way of support in return. Here is an interesting post on the subject of pets. Read through the comments. Great food for thought.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/New-to-Hosting/New-host-pet-stay-without-notice-advice/td-p/1419...

I agree! I have a gorgeous GSD, and I adore him however he doesn't go with me to my airbnb. I don't allow pets of any kind because it is too much work to clean up after them with check in and check outs. Today I have a guest who has snuck a dog into my airbnb and I'm furious. I don't know what recourse I have. My cleaning lady has told me its going to be a nightmare to clean because I advertise my place specfically as pet free and organic place. So upset! I hope that Airbnb can help me resolve this issue. Any advise would be appreciated!

Hi I do not allow pets, and we just had guests come and sneek in a dog. Luckily my husband was working across the road and spoke to them. They didn't know who he was -and he asked how old it was. Do I ask them to leave or how do I charge them?

@Tami230 

I would go to the Resolution Center and charge them the fee you usually charge for pets. Put in the message that you saw that they brought a dog, and the fee. Before they have time to check out.

Chris

Ted & Chris
Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

We are in the country and attract families with pets. We charge £10 per night for our canine guests using the Resolution Centre, although it would be so much easier if they could add pets at the booking stage.

Give me  pooches over sticky fingered non paying infants any day 🤗

@Amanda660that is exactly why we charge for human puppies as well 🙂 Every guest, regardless of their size and age are paying. Works wonderfully.

@Amanda660that is why we charge for human puppies as well 🙂 Every guest, regardless of their size and age are paying. Works wonderfully.