How long does a host have to contact a guest for additional prices?

Allison240
Level 2
Aurora, CO

How long does a host have to contact a guest for additional prices?

I just booked a reservation and saw there were additional prices of a cleaning fee and security deposit. I've never booked anywhere that had additional prices, how do I pay them, and how long does the host have to ask me for it?

Any help would be appreciated!! 

7 Replies 7
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi @Allison240 

It shoudl all be included in the price that you pay to airbnb - airbnb just give you a break down of how you have arrived at your total price.

Re the security deposit, most of the time airbnb do not actually collect it - they just make sure you  have sufficient funds to cover it.

Most hosts charge a cleaning fee - I"m surprised you've never stayed anywhere that doesn't.  This fee is generally to clean and prep the accommodation prior to your stay - change of linens, vaccuum, mop dust etc etc.  Some hosts integrate it into the nightly fee.  Depending on how long your stay is, this can be more or less economical for the guest

Regards

Allison240
Level 2
Aurora, CO

Thanks @Rowena29. I guess my question is more of this- the host didn't include the cleaning fee in the price- I found a page that said "additional prices" and it had a cleaning fee of $150 and a security deposit of $500 listed. The cleaning fee and security deposit were not listed in the price I was charged. Can the host demand I pay for those fees if it wasn't included in the cost? 

Thanks for any advice you can give! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

if the host wants to charge a cleaning fee it should be included as a separate item when you book on the price @Allison240 

Hosts are not allowed to ask you for a deposit as a payment all they can do is add it to the booking and as mentioned by @Rowena29  Airbnb will just hold it as a charge against your payment method in case of damage.

When you say you found a 'page' do you mean they mentioned the additional costs in the listing?

As far as I am aware a host can't ask for a deposit on Airnbnb (unless they are a large scale airbnb property company with multiple listings) and if they want to charge a cleaning fee it should be shown when you book.

Just go back to the host and say you understand that if they want to charge a cleaning fee it should be shown when guests book and that Airbnb says that deposits aren't actually taken but a charge held against the payment method and see what they say. Involve Airbnb if they insist on additional payments.

@Allison240  You'll have to elaborate on what you mean by "I found a page..." Where did you find a "page"? 

@Allison240 Do you mean that you found a statement under the house rules section?  (other thing to consider = no smoking, no events, then a little drop down bar that says "more")

I have read really recently that in some listings a host will charge for some things that are pp per night focussed  - I know there was a thread here recently about a host charging an eco cleaning fee which was pp per day. (Do you remember this @Helen3  - I think you responded to it? I can't find that thread, but here is one that seems to be posting about a similar situation.....https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Airbnb-allows-host-to-break-fees-and-deposit-terms/m-p/1161...)  

Because it was in the house rules, and because guests tick a box saying they agree to the house rules, a host is on fairly firm ground when the request the extra money. ( I believe)  And if this is where it WAS where you found it, a host will I think request the extra money through the resolution centre. If it's something to do with cleaning then I imagine that it will be after checkout.  

Was it a commercial listing @Allison240?  sorry for the chat to other hosts in the middle of replying to you - trying to get a frame of reference for everyone so we can help.

Like @Anonymous  and @Helen3   I'm not completely sure what you are referring to.

Regardless of where the security deposit statement was I can't see that there would be a way you would have to pay that upfront. I think most likely this is the host trying to "cover their backs" in case there is damage - if a guest goes into a listing knowing they could incur a hefty security deposit fine they are more likely to behave and far less likely to break house rules. But in order to claim it a host would have to prove damage/inappropriate behaviour and airbnb would mediate.  so I dont' think you need to be too worried about paying a security deposit  - unless you incur significant damage or sneak in extra guests etc.   I'm not an expert though - just another host.   You could ring airbnb Customer Support and see what they have to say? They will be able to look at your booking and see specifically what you are referring to. We are shooting in the dark a bit here.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Allison240 @Rowena29 @Anonymous @Helen3 

Hosts are allowed to charge extra fees, and request them via the resolution center, if they are disclosed in the listing and/or house rules. (This is how I collect pet fees.) They can ask you for it anytime after your final base payment is made, up to 60 days after your check-out date.

But they are not allowed to request payment off-platform.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/199/what-should-i-do-if-someone-asks-me-to-pay-outside-of-the-airbnb-website

@Lisa723 

I should have trusted my gut. I think you have posted recently along these lines? I was trying to remember who the host was - I THOUGHT   it was you, but the search tool is so useless I couldnt' find anything