How to Start Fixing Airbnb CS and Many Common Issues

Answered!
Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

How to Start Fixing Airbnb CS and Many Common Issues

Since the Airbnb customer service team is too busy virtue signaling to do any real work or solve any problems, I thought I would spend some time today doing what I believe is the ultimate form of trolling:  doing their job for them, and doing it better.  The following is a list of things that would make everyone’s lives involved with Airbnb better and would probably save them money when they didn’t have to take one angry cs call and BBB complaint after the other.  I think it has become obvious to most of the long term hosts that Airbnb’s cs policies are written by greedy sociopaths with no clue.  Also, everything here could be instituted in less than a week, so…

I.  I like to think I speak for all experienced hosts when I say: the Cancellation Policies and everything tied to them are savage bad. Keep it honest by keeping it simple. Policies should be:

1. Flexible – Cancel any time, receive full refund (including Airbnb service fees)
  2. Moderate – Cancel any time, receive half refund (including Airbnb service fees)
  3. Strict – Cancel any time, receive no refund, no exceptions

This ties into the next problem that has become rampant, unaddressed poor guest behavior.

II.  The majority of guests are great, but some just aren’t, and some are plain terrible.  In its race to fill a vault of gold the size of scrooge McDuck, they hope to take literally every single guest that tests out the platform.  This isn’t naïve, it’s predatory.  Not everyone in the entire world treats everyone else with respect, not even *gasp* under perfect circumstances.  Guest are called ‘guests’ because they are staying in people’s homes!  Any human with a basic modicum of common sense would read a host’s house rules and respect basics like cleaning up after themselves, or not turning house into a party. Guests that have not yet learned these basics of life, it is not hosts’ responsibility to nurture them to full personhood. I got five stars on every one of my over 20 guest journeys, it wasn’t hard! Airbnb, if you want to parent the whole world offer a free class, not my home!

With bad guests, this is how typical stay goes:

1. Ask guest to clean up their dishes or remind them they don’t have extra guests registered.
  2. 50/50 maybe guest complies, maybe they totally ignore me.
  3. Guest leaves me bad review for asking them to follow house rules (retaliation).
  4. Some of these guests then ask for refund, and actually get them after admitting breaking house rules!
  5. Guest knows how system works and wants cancellation, so they just start becoming 100% more obnoxious trying to push a cancellation from my end (OMG these are the worst)
  6. In off season when prices are low, you get more less-than-stellar guests, then this situation snowballs out of control. One guest sees a dirty plate in sink, starts leaving their own dirty dishes, stops cleaning stove, etc.  I often then get left in some cases with house full of people who make me their servant for a month, then *best part* still leave me a review that says place wasn’t clean or I called them out asking them to clean.  Hilarious!
  7. Some of these guests even sabotage your home, still get refunds. A man this week turned a tube in my toilet upside down, it ran water constantly all night until someone caught it.  Airbnb gave him full refund…
  8. Worst possible scenario: guest does something downright icky, you tell them it’s a no-go. You leave them less than stellar review, then read they left you a great review because they didn’t actually hold it against you for wanting your home respected.  This guest actually improves behavior, but still gets left with bad review, hate this one the most because then I actually feel bad.

How do you fix this you ask?  You put more some more power back in host hands, where it belongs.  The review system just brings out the worst in human nature sometimes, I will say confidently after experience, it’s not good.  Guests already use it as leverage, and hosts get tired of playing judge, jury, and executioner.  You see all the time in forums host doesn’t know how to review guest.  Replace it with Endorsement system, you are already half way there and it would be easy.  Endorsement would go like this:

Prompt guest at end of stay: “Did you enjoy your stay? If so give the host a thumbs up!” On both listing and host page, have number of endorsements with all the shiny faces lined up like it is now in a stack, and the number of total stays right next to it.  You can calculate it into % if you like, I know Airbnb another company obsessed with metrics.

Spidersedited2.png

When a guest breaks host house rules, they shouldn’t be able to slander you in review in return.  This solves that issue by putting the appropriate amount of weight on one stay.  It also solves problem of host having to be executioner, there is a difference between having to disapprove of someone and just not giving them approval.  Guest accounts in the same way would show number of badges vs number of stays. 

Any cancellations would increase stay count without increasing badge count (picture included for example).  This way hosts can see that guests have cancelled or at least not perfect track record, information they should be entitled to, but still, Airbnb should love this, nobody has to act in any negative fashion. Require hosts to choose yes or no to issuing the Endorsement/badge.  If a guest fails to choose yes or no on first trip, prompt when they try to book second time and remind them the hosts that run these listings are people who work very hard to provide them with a nice place to stay.  So many problems solved with zero money investment and zero negativity. (Let me put Endorsements on autopilot also, please and thank you.)

To wrap up cancellations, give hosts a button that says “This guest is not following my house rules.”  Pressing this button would have airbnb team follow up.  Call up the guest after first strike, remind them of this policy, ask them nicely to clean their dishes.  Remind them again that hosts are hard-working normal people and *Airbnb always supports them*. At this point button turns into ‘Cancel this reservation with no penalty.”  It is not fair to support abuse, it is enabling. When a guest is abusing host in obvious way and asked to stop, if host can provide *proof or pictures that behavior continues, the reservation should be cancelled without a refund.* Abusing my home is not an excuse to break the payment arrangement, the days have still been blocked so no one else can book them.

In that same vein: Stop. Asking. Hosts. To. Issue. Refunds. Against. Cancellation. Policy.  Stop, just stop.  You do this as your general policy to save money by relocating guest to another airbnb, at the expense of the kind hosts here and there that are inclined to say yes to be ‘agreeable’ but then are left with empty calendar. It is obviously in bad faith to do this as a general policy when the cancellation policies lead hosts to believe otherwise.  I’ll say it again loud and clear: THIS IS OBVIOUS BAD LEGAL FAITH.  If you had ever had a job where liability is measured in decision making, I think it’s absurd you’ve ran with this policy so long, it’s so obviously illegal, unethical, and an albatross hanging around your neck.  Stop.

III.  Finally, I’ve been ranting about this for two whole years with zero result, fix the messaging system.  When a guest books through the website instead of the app, messages do not populate in real time.  The guest must refresh the browser window to see if they have a new message.  I doubt most guests realize this as it is so archaic (we have had this feature since Aol Instant messenger and IRC, the tech sooooo old).  Again, hint for computer sciences team, Ajax and javascript can accomplish this ezpz.  This way if guest wants to ask a question before or during booking, or mentions something that means listing may not be the best fit, we can respond immediately!  Them checking their email days later or never at all means they just don’t even get some of the messages they are sent. Please just fix the messaging, you would have less complaints because communication would be improved. Do the fancy one where the bubbles pop us as someone starts typing on other end.

Require government ID for all hosts and guests.  This is required for car rental and of course should be required for home rentals. When guests are reported to airbnb for house rule violation, inform them they will be required to put down a basic $100 deposit to book in future.  This will discourage people that have no intent of being responsible without weeding out the responsible ones who made a small or tiny mistake.  If said house guests violates somewhere else, gasp, give $100 to the two hosts, split it, you love fairness.

Another easy way to cut down on cs calls and unhappy hosts/guests. Use the cleaning fee.  Make it a prompt they approve during booking, use color, it would go something like this:

Private Room $0 - $20, Whole House $50 - $100 – “This listing has a Low Cost cleaning fee.  You are expected to wash your dishes, clean up after yourself in the kitchen, and put your belongings away.  Guests who do not clean up at these reservations can be cancelled without refund*.”

Private Room >$20, Whole House > $100 – “This listing has a Full Service cleaning fee.  All cleaning will be taken care of by the host.  Please do not abuse host homes thanks!”

You could even allow hosts to offer both and let the guest choose one.  This would be key, *the guest making a choice and the host making a choice.* The overwhelming majority of hosts and guests WILL choose option one, and everyone will be better informed of their responsibilities.  Also potential upsells!  Also, again, problem fixed with zero negativity and practically zero cost.

While these are not All the Things, it is the probably the most important things that should happen.  The overwhelming majority of Airbnb problems come from Airbnb ignoring the concept of Consent.  It is what is missing in all their cs decisions and policies, and what is available in all these solutions.  This has already gone so far over the top, halfway measures are not agreeable or appreciated.  The thing with cancellations and guests just starting to run rampant over hosts with no recourse has gotten insane, and the number of posts in the forums about it should be telling to the Airbnb overlords, so I really just don’t get it.  Each of these hosts is your front facing customer service team, you want them all to be happy and appreciated, not filled with resentment!  How can you possibly expect that to work out in long run?

Airbnb, stop being fake, do these things.  Looking at you Laura, new CS team lead, do something honest for your hosts, a "Celebration of Superhosts Week" isn't it.  You could do all this in a week, it would cost little to nothing, and all your hosts would be happy again(mostly).

1 Best Answer
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Tony134, thanks for your considered post - I agree with everything you've said. The review system in particular is utterly broken. I do more and more and more for my guests and my overall rating and review rate just keeps dropping thanks to the thesis they now need to write and the ridiculous question the overall rating is based on. I agree that a simple endorsement system is all that is needed to prevent the slinging matches and retaliatory reviews than can and do occur. Hosts should also be allowed to have unfair reviews removed, in particular those in which guests complain about things that ARE CLEARLY STATED ON THE LISTING! (such as no TV, dog on the property, shared facilities, access areas, etc.) If the guest can't be bothered reading the listing before they book it and review negatively based on their false expectations, then the review should be removed. If a review is based on false accusations, it should be removed. If the review is based on things outside of the host's control (e.g. location, weather, mosquitoes outside, proximity to shops/restaurants, etc.), it should be removed. Why are hosts continually punished for guests' bad behaviour or inability to read past the first two lines?

View Best Answer in original post

82 Replies 82
Laura_C
Ex Airbnb
Ex Airbnb
Redwood City, CA

@Tony134 ... thank you for well-thought through and insightful ideas. I have just sent an email to a few of the teams who work on these topics to share them. (BTW - I am just about to email you on the address associated with your Community Center login ... sorry for the delay on responding, I’m on vacation with my three little ones and our reception is pretty spotty!) ~Laura. 

--------------------

Lead, Airbnb Core Hosts & Community

Here's my Community Spotlight!

What are your favorite notes from your guests?

I worked every single day of this vacation period, for your company Airbnb, including Christmas!.

I haven't had a vacation since I started, must be nice to get one in under six months! 

Don't get me wrong I planned a vacation, and paid for one, just never got it. I took all my listings, set them the 30 day min, and lowered the price dramatically to get month long bookings. Then one of the guests complained because she wasn't allowed to break house rules, and Airbnb refunded her!!! She had extra guest from check-in that I never complained about, smoked marijuana IN the room. Finally when her and her friend were so loud another guest complained, I asked her to respect the house rules. She complained and got a two week refund !!!!XXXX !XXXX !

She got her first days at dramatic discount for monthly rate, and I was left with empty room for days. Had to stay taking check-ins to just barely make housing payment !

Your company literally cancelled my first vacation on over a decade for a bratty guest who was on camera breaking rules and had a complaint from another guest! 

Talking about retaliation. And Airbnb won't remove that .

i don't accept (im sorry )

IMG-9786.JPG

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Tony134, thanks for your considered post - I agree with everything you've said. The review system in particular is utterly broken. I do more and more and more for my guests and my overall rating and review rate just keeps dropping thanks to the thesis they now need to write and the ridiculous question the overall rating is based on. I agree that a simple endorsement system is all that is needed to prevent the slinging matches and retaliatory reviews than can and do occur. Hosts should also be allowed to have unfair reviews removed, in particular those in which guests complain about things that ARE CLEARLY STATED ON THE LISTING! (such as no TV, dog on the property, shared facilities, access areas, etc.) If the guest can't be bothered reading the listing before they book it and review negatively based on their false expectations, then the review should be removed. If a review is based on false accusations, it should be removed. If the review is based on things outside of the host's control (e.g. location, weather, mosquitoes outside, proximity to shops/restaurants, etc.), it should be removed. Why are hosts continually punished for guests' bad behaviour or inability to read past the first two lines?

This 'getting punished for poor guest behavior' thing is getting downright insane.

"  If a review is based on false accusations, it should be removed. If the review is based on things outside of the host's control (e.g. location, weather, mosquitoes outside, proximity to shops/restaurants, etc.), it should be removed. Why are hosts continually punished for guests' bad behaviour or inability to read past the first two lines?"

From the terms of service:  5.8 You will not post, upload, publish, submit or transmit any Member Content that: (i) is fraudulent, false, misleading 

So by not removing revenge reviews and ratings, they are breaking their own terms of service!

Chris1537
Level 6
Nedlands, Australia

Airbnb probably have 100 guests to every 1 host so they will always favour the guests as this means far far fewer complaints for them to deal with. They also charge the guests a larger percentage of the booking fees so there is more money lost if they lose guests.

As hosts, there aren't too many other platforms that we can advertise our spaces on so it's unlikely we will leave Airbnb entirely.

There are other platforms though so please, everyone list your properties on those as well. Competition for Airbnb is good for us and will give them more insentive to keep us happy.
A new site run by hosts for hosts would do very well I think. Look after the hosts and you will take business from Airbnb. Of course looking after the guests is of immense importance but there shouldn't be different rules for them.

If you have left a good review for a guest, but they have given a very unfair review for you. I recommend contacting Airbnb customer service and have the review you left for them, removed.
We can't change our guest reviews, but we can have undeserved 5 star reviews removed.

If many of us start removing reviews for this reason, Airbnb may start to listen.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Tony134 @Sarah977 @Robbie54 @Kath9 @Chris1537

(and everyone else I can't tag)... 

I think we've all learned through bitter  experience by now, that we might as well be howling at the moon as waiting for Airbnb to "fix" anything. The louder we shout, the more they stonewall and bullsh*t us - they've proven that time and time again.

The truth is, the majority of things we want "fixed", aren't actually broken in the first place - they're exactly the way Airbnb have designed them to be. Suits them perfectly fine to have everyone running round like headless chickens, desperately attempting to figure one thing out, while scrabbling about trying to find a "workaround" for another... diverts focus and attention from what's really  going on behind the scenes... 

So rather than wasting any more of our precious time and energy waiting for something that's never gonna happen, we need to start educating ourselves on the legalities of Airbnb policies and practices in our own regions, know our rights, and start reporting Airbnb to the relevant authorities every  time there's an infringement. Contrary to what many seem to believe, we do  have rights, and t's about time we stopped rolling over and started standing up for ourselves. Strength in numbers, people. 

For example, in July of this year, following an investigation of Airbnb by the Consumer Protection Co-operation Network, under the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive, the Consumer Rights Directive or the Unfair Contract Terms Directive. the EU Commission ordered the company to make several changes to its policies and practices, in order to comply with EU legislation, and to ensure that all  service users are treated fairly and equitably. 

B. AIRBNB'S TERMS OF SERVICE

Directive 93/13/EC on Unfair Contract Terms applies to all contracts between consumers and businesses. Article 3 of this Directive provides that standard terms which create a significant imbalance in parties' rights and obligations, to the detriment of the consumer, are unfair and therefore invalid

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-4453_en.htm

https://ec.europa.eu/info/files/common-position-national-authorities-within-cpc-network-commercial-p...

To the best of my knowledge, these protections apply not only to Airbnb users who reside in the EU jurisdiction, but also to all users who transact through Airbnb Ireland. And I know the legislation is tedious to read through, but forewarned is forearmed, and knowing your rights, and their responsibilities, is a powerful weapon to have when fighting any battle with Airbnb. 

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

What really bothers me a lot about all this is the constant Airbnb virtue signaling on all of this stuff.

If we've learned anything in the 21st century, it's that economic situations like these definitely AREN'T Zero Sum.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-sum_game

There are infinite potential policies that benefit host, guest, and Airbnb, literally, infinite potential policies.  Despite that True Hard Fact, Airbnb hires yet another customer service manager that institutes one zero sum policy after another. Each of these policies we've complained about is making profit for Airbnb *at the hosts' expense.* Then, each time, they run around talking about how much they appreciate us! 

There are infinite potential possibilities, and instead of hiring someone that would hunt these possibilities down, they hire someone to play underhanded psychology games to justify basic bad faith. It's ridiculous, but just in the legal sense, but in the ethical one.

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Long time hosts, if you recognize this game, phase keep this thread alive.

I know it has a *negative* tone, but as long as we play the flower dance game with Airbnb they will never stop taking advantage of us.

Don't accept apologies from Airbnb, they are fake.

Chris1537
Level 6
Nedlands, Australia

Just an update on my situation where a guest has made incorrect claims in his review of my property. I just had case manager 'Jean' tell me that if the guest believes his claim is correct then it is ok for him to say it. So if someone cant work the TV because hes using the aircon remote, then it is ok for him to say that the TV doesn't work!.

I told Jean that just because someone believes something, doesnt make it true and therefore is not really something they experienced even though they think they did. Jean told me that I was taking the content  policy too literally!!

That's right, an Airbnb case manager told me to not take their content policy literally!!

Well, I don't know how they expect us to take it but that is a joke.

So far, of the three Airbnb staff I have spoken to in regard to this.

One has told me, she would like to remove the review but wouldn't as she would risk losing her job.

One has agreed with me that the guests statement was incorrect, but till she wouldnt remove it.

And one has told me not to take the content policy literally.

@Chris1537

I had the same 3 answeres as you had , i told them to read the private feedback and see that this guy had absolutely the worst attitude about my house rules on his own words,and nothing can be done.IMG-9786.JPG

For Airbnb to be protecting someone who says they shouldn't have to pay attention to the rules is ridiculous but sadly this is nothing new for Airbnb. There are so many instances of them chosing to make excuses rather than taking any action.

Similar situation.  How can AirBnb give guests the opportunity to rate host on the house rules???  They agree to them by booking!  Plus the only explanation he can write is one letter "N"??rating.jpg

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Coldo0 I'm curious as to why you didn't leave a public response to this guy's review?