How to be sure a host is authentic

Farhana8
Level 1
Copenhagen, Denmark

How to be sure a host is authentic

Hi, live in Danmark and I am about to rent an apartment for my son for at least a year. The renter says it will be through airbnb and that the will send an email where to pay the deposit and rent. And that one of their agent will deliver the contract and keys. And on airbnb website they only encourage to pay any payment through their website. How can I make sure the host is authentic? 

5 Replies 5
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Farhana8 & welcome to ABB CC.

If you have looked through the main listings of ABB the property should be listed on it.

I suggest you look to see if you can locate it, only communicate directly through the ABB msg system.

Alternatively there's helpful information from other CC members here if you use the Search Box & similar keywords to what you have used to find previous similar topics.

All the best.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Farhana8 Do not look any further - This is a well known scam. The giveaway is that Airbnb do not operate in this way.

Done properly:

1) All payments are taken through Airbnb website

2) All documentation (of which there is none) is done online

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Farhana8  This is not an airbnb apartment, airbnb never delivers keys and payment is always made directly on the web site.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Common scam - do not send money. Do not provide this scammer with information.

If your son needs a place for a year, he should book through a reputable local estate agents who offers rentals. This will be much cheaper than booking through Airbnb and will provide him with legal rights as a tenant. @Farhana8 

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Farhana8 🙂

As already mentioned - it is a common scam. Always only book directly on the Airbnb platform. Also you cannot rent on behalf of your son. The one that books always needs to be present. Otherwise it will be a 3rd party booking and it is against Airbnb's rules.