How travel empowers me as a wheelchair user

Ted--Pauline-And-Keo0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Keaau, HI

How travel empowers me as a wheelchair user

Hosts play an important role in making Airbnb more inclusive for guests. Pauline Aughe, a Superhost and former Host Advisory Board member in Hawaii, shares her personal experience in this article to help build understanding and celebrate Global Accessibility Awareness Day

Aloha! My name is Pauline. I’m a wife, mom, entrepreneur, and adventure lover. I’ve traveled in my home country of the United States and internationally to Mexico, Canada, and the Philippines. I’ve observed natural and human-made wonders, tasted foods that made my palate dance, and met many beautiful people—all from a wheelchair.

I was born without arms and legs, and I was raised to believe that I’m worthy of experiencing everything life has to offer. Instead of asking whether I can do something, I ask how I can do it. As a result, I’ve led a beautiful life. But that beauty hasn’t come without challenges, including moments of anxiety and fear.

My husband, Ted, and son Aaron at Lake Coeur d’Alene in Idaho.My husband, Ted, and son Aaron at Lake Coeur d’Alene in Idaho.

Traveling can help us grow by expanding our knowledge and testing our limits. My limits are not tested by climbing up mountains or trekking through rainforests. My limits are often tested by finding a place I can sleep and take a shower.

That’s because, as a wheelchair user, any space I’m in can either enable or disable me. When choosing a place to stay, I want to know what to expect. Questions like these swirl in my head: 

• Can I get inside the home, or will the doorways be too narrow?
  • Will I be able to access the toilet? 
  • Will I have to sit on the shower floor?
  • Is there enough space around the bed for me to get into it?

My limits are also tested by anticipating how I’ll be received. 

• Will people be open and warm? 
  • Will there be that awkward silence, where so much is said without any words being spoken?
  • Will people ignore me hoping that if I’m out of sight, I’m out of mind?
  • Will people stare at me with curiosity while I do everyday things like eat?

These are the mountains that I—and many people with disabilities—climb. We want to explore the world and meet new people. As an Airbnb Host, you have the power to make our travel adventures possible. 

What can you do to become a more inclusive Host? You can find tips for hosting guests with disabilities in my next article.

Pauline Aughe
Big Island of Hawai'i, USA
Host Advisory Board
13 Replies 13
Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

@Ted--Pauline-And-Keo0 , as you already know, all my admiration and respect for you.

Your words and your daily actions inspire us and help us make a more hospitable world ❤️

Thank you for the time dedicated to writing this and the following post, which I recommend reading very carefully, and for having inspired us so much in your time as a member of the Advisory Board.

A strong love from Tenerife!

P.S. I love the phrase: "Instead of asking whether I can do something, I ask how I can do it."

@Daniel1651, you have been an amazing champion for me. I want acknowledge the genuine kindness you have always extended to me. It has made me feel that my voice is important and can make a difference. It has been a pleasure to work with you and hope to continue our friendship, at least through social media. Keep making a difference. ❤️ 

Pauline Aughe
Host Advisory Board
Daniel1651
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

@Ted--Pauline-And-Keo0  Your voice, definitely, can make a difference!

Right now, I am reading the comments and reaction from hosts all over the world and I am proud of your commitment: You  touched them. 

You touched us, and you inspire us to be better!

I am sure I will see you in person. In the meantime, keep in touch here!

Love ❤️

Thank you, my friend for your encouragement and your commitment to accessibility efforts. ❤️

Pauline Aughe
Host Advisory Board
Jennifer3225
Port Severn, Canada

Great article Pauline. Love your comment about how you were raised.  You have opened my eyes wide up. I have work to do, and will commit to be sure that should you come and stay with me, you will not be sitting on the shower floor... Not on my watch!

🇨🇦❤️

Jennifer Schnier

Thanks so much @Jennifer3225 ! I so appreciate your thoughtfulness. Sitting on shower floors aren't fun for anyone,,,lol! Thanks for reading the article. My parents did an amazing job with me. 

Pauline Aughe
Host Advisory Board
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Ted--Pauline-And-Keo0  so great to read of your courage to ''Belong'' in society.

Laura Chambers who used to be Head of Hosting was a frequent contributor in ABB CC during her tenure with ABB and did much to help break down barriers for those who are differently enabled as she has a disabled child.

Her thoughtful contributions are still within the ABB CC.

It would be nice to see ABB venture back to it's core inclusiveness of Belonging and respect towards those who may not have the same forms of Photo ID's as others to also "Belong" and continue and be a part of ABB like we used to have within the ABB Community.

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Hi @Ted--Pauline-And-Keo0 , so moving how you see the bright side of live! Thanks for the insights!

Thank you. ❤️ Seeing the bright side of things is way more fun and fulfilling than staying in the dark.

Pauline Aughe
Host Advisory Board

@Ted--Pauline-And-Keo0 Would you be available to do a virtual host meetup? Our host would love to connect and hear what you have to say. Good Housekeeping's guest editor this month also focused on Disability Awareness HURRAY !!   

Opening up to expanding our hosting possibilities is a fantastic way to welcome more guests to the Airbnb community 

Please let me know

Jenny 

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines

Hi @Jennipha-Lauren0 ,

Thank you for reaching out. I'd love to have a conversation about your virtual event.  Please send me your email so we can coordinate our schedules to meet.

Pauline Aughe
Host Advisory Board

Hi Pauline,

Thank you for sharing your inspiring story. As a travel expert, I truly believe that travel should be accessible for everyone, and your experiences highlight the importance of this.

When booking accommodations, always look for properties with detailed accessibility information. Airbnb hosts can play a crucial role by providing clear descriptions and photos of their spaces, ensuring they are truly wheelchair accessible.

Additionally, don’t hesitate to reach out to hosts with specific questions about their property’s accessibility features. Many hosts are willing to make adjustments or provide additional information to ensure a comfortable stay.

Safe travels, and may your future adventures be as empowering and enriching as those you’ve already experienced!

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your feedback and incorporating accessibility into your travel expertise. I appreciate you.

Pauline Aughe
Host Advisory Board