How would you review this guest.....

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

How would you review this guest.....

Looking for some opinions on how to review a recent guest. I am a little annoyed at the moment so I am taking a minute and figured some feedback from other hosts would suite me well. 

Guest books for four nights (Mon-Fri) Brand new to airbnb, but we chatted a bit before his actual booking and I felt comfortable hosting him. Halfway through his stay he messaged me asking to use the washer and dryer. One of the rules for the house is that the washer and dryer are reserved for longer term stay (7+ days) He explained that he has spilled something on some of his clothing items for work, so I decided to make an exception. I let him know he could do one load but to please not wash anything that belonged to the home.

Upon check out, this am, he messages me stating that he has left and that he wanted to do me a favor since I extending him the curtosy of using the W/D, so he washed and dried all the sheets and towels. One of my rules, also one that I reminded him of previously, is not to wash items from the home. I like to sanitize things and make sure there are no stains or marks that need to be addressed. I have also had guest damage things in the wash before. I tried to just consider it a nice gesture and move on, however when I got home, and pulled everything out of the dryer, the sheets and towels were severely stained of some red hue and what looked like an exploded pen. In addition, the duvet cover has several ink stains and what looks like burn marks (maybe from the iron). 

It upsets me because he made a point of saying he was doing something nice, however he was likely trying to erase the damage. 

I am just curious how other host would review him....

5 Replies 5
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jennifer1897 I would start off with any positives about the guest, if there were any, andf definitely mention the inability/unwillingness to follow rules, and make mention of how that caused issues/damages.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hopefully you've already put in a claim for the damaged items. @Jennifer1897 

Just be honest in your review mark him down for communication and cleaning and say you wouldn't host him again despite his friendly manner because he didn't follow house rules and tried to cover up running your linens.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Jennifer1897 😊

The review comes in three forms:

1. Appreciation ( thanks)
  2. Coaching (here's a better way to do it) 
  3. Evaluation (here's where you stand) 

The host should ensure  the review is specific – Don't just tell them to get their communication  needs to improve. Point out exactly what negative traits they have and the impact each has on the incident.

An honest and fair review will be extensively appreciated.

Happy Hosting✌️  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

This sounds like a clueless person trying to do something nice but causing too many careless accidents along the way. I would write him a neutral review but give him a lengthy lecture in private feedback.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

If your bedding is expensive I would send him a request to pay for damage along with a message that I understand it was an accident and he tried to fix it by himself but he should not do that in the future because stains have to be treated while fresh, before washing and drying otherwise they will stay permanently.

If he pays I wouldn't mention it in my review but if he doesn't, I would say something along the line of: " The guest was unwilling to pay for the damaged item."

We also had a few sheets stained by ink pen but we didn't file a damage claim or mention it in our review bc they are not expensive and accidents can happen to anyone.