I am a host and got a positive Covid test today. Do I have to pay a penalty?

Jennifer2684
Level 1
Madison, MS

I am a host and got a positive Covid test today. Do I have to pay a penalty?

I am a host and got a positive Covid test today.  I am quarantining of course.  I had a reservation for four days from now for three nights.  This family has stayed with me before and I have already called to let them know I will have to cancel.  They are very understanding.  (My listing is in my home.)

What I want to know is am I going to be penalized?  I can't find anywhere where AirBnB gives me an option to cancel penalty-free.  It says I will have to pay $100 on my next pay out. Are they kidding??  Like I meant to get Covid??

I tried contacting support but haven't heard back from anyone yet.  I told me guests they could go ahead and cancel but I certainly don't want them having to say anything either.  My cancellation policy is flexible, so they wouldn't be charged the reservation fee, but I am unsure about service fee for them.

Thanks in advance, 
Jen

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

It may take awhile, but just wait to hear back from support. There's not much you can do if Airbnb refuses to refund the service fee, that's something to try to convince Airbnb would be fair to the guest when you do make contact with them. If the guest cancels, as you say, your policy will refund them all the money that would have gone to you, so the only issue would be the service fee. You shouldn't cancel yourself or you will be penalized. This should fall under the extenuating circumstances policy and a host always has to contact Airbnb to effect those EC cancellations. 

I hope you end up with a mild case. @Jennifer2684

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You should be cancelling under EC for Covid so your guests can get a full refund @Jennifer2684 

obviously  contact recent guests staying with you if you have direct contact with your guests to warn them.

hope you feel better soon