I got a big red warning about raising prices today

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I got a big red warning about raising prices today

As I have posted many times here, we started off way too low on our initial pricing. We were one of two remote host, full house rentals in a certain radius. The other place is much larger and can accommodate many more people-- they were priced in line with ours initially. Over the ensuing 3 years we have raised our rates, and they have as well. 

Now we have several properties listed in our area, all running neck and neck with what we are charging, some much higher. Today I booked some dates that were hanging out there, so we went to increase prices again. I got a big red warning saying "Your prices are far higher than your market" and a suggestion that we LOWER to about $50 less than we charge. I had to acknowledge this warning before moving on.

This is absurd. A place that opened not long ago is half the size of ours, half the capacity and about $50 a more a night. It has similar historic features. There is NO WAY that I am "above market" as I am booked out with a rate that is $50 a night higher than ABB suggests and very competitive with others in the area.

What possible good could it do to post these scary "warnings"? I suppose we should just offer our space for free (so long as we pay our ABB fees....)

20 Replies 20
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure it's passed on to the team 😊

Also, I'd like to ask that we please refrain from making assumptions. I'm sure you all know by now that criticism towards Airbnb is always welcome, however targeting employees - as well as fellow Community members - will not be allowed.

Bear in mind as well that generalisations based on age go against our Community Center Guidelines. Let's please remain respectful and constructive.

If you have any concerns, feel free to DM me.

Thanks,

Liv

Jd11
Level 2
Breckenridge, CO

airbnb only cares about their fees coming in, not your amounts.   

Their system, says hey will make money if you do this.

@Laura2592    Re:  "I don't know why anyone,  anywhere would ever assume an entire house or condo would cost the same or less than a hotel room. "

Conventionally, the price of a hotel room includes full-time service staff, daily housekeeping, and access to all the hotel's other amenities. Even before the pandemic hit, hotels were already laying off huge amounts of staff and automating more of their old roles to compete with Airbnb. One more way that wealth and stability have been siphoned away from wage workers and redistributed to homeowners with surplus housing.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Laura2592 

So Airbnb wants to issue refunds to guest who cancel in violation of host cancelation policy when covid spikes, or face retaliatory review if host don't issue refunds, but when there is increased demand when covid is low, they don't want you to increase rates, and instead cater to hyper violent coupon clippers who don't even bother to read the listing, and encourage them to leave negative reviews to get out of paying host, like people who use a tool from Lowes then return it for a refund after they are finished with their project. Mine is very popular in very competitive area, $7 below what smart pricing recommends but its way more stressful than it should be. Would it be too difficult for Airbnb to send a message "If the listing was accurate, clean, and well maintained, please show your appreciation to the host who worked very hard to make it possible on their end." Vast majority of guest understand this but Airbnb is activity cultivating scammers and if your rates aren't high enough it puts host at higher risk. I don't mind a misunderstanding from guest if they mean well and great behavior, but its quite another to be subjected to guest dissatisfaction who don't bother to read the listing or want to get out of paying already great value.  Maybe that's it, if rates are too low it attracts guest who won't bother to read it. The highest priority for Airbnb is to have guest make a reservation and collect the money and invest it in the stock market, after that its all the host problem to try and mitigate the risk and develop a strategy to maintain their listing.  

I just got a 4* in value, my second one this entire time hosting, with rave 5* overall review. So its really just guest now using feedback in hopes Airbnb will lower the rates. I'd like to find another platform. Not burning any bridges with Airbnb that keeps me booked all the time but when you buy something on Amazon they don't ask if it was a good value. Guess I'll need to go up in rates. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Prices in Los Angeles are up at least 15% because so many people are resuming traveling after being locked down for over a year.  There are not enough hosts to meet demand. I'm lovin' it like McDonalds.