Instant Book Negative Airbnb Reaction

Elaine300
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Instant Book Negative Airbnb Reaction

I feel that I'm being bullied into INSTANT BOOK. The Airbnb threat of not being highlighted etc etc if I remove it. I don't think instant book is appropriate at the moment. I need to follow all sorts of guidelines and want to temporarily come off it without being threatened and bullied by airbnb to keep it on. UPDATE your policies, move with the times airbnb.

8 Replies 8
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Elaine300 100% agree. I want to turn mine off too but the threats are too much! I've just ended up blocking my calendar altogether.

@Elaine300 @Kath9  Please, stop paying attention to Airbnb's threats.  

They only use these creepy emotional manipulation tactics because they don't have brick-and-mortar assets; they're betting on being able to control their inventory solely through behavior-modification. But you should never let the stuff the robot is programmed to tell you be any substitute for your judgment as a host. 

If Instant Book is not right for you, turn it off. No buts about it - it's your property, you're the boss. Not the robot.

@Anonymoushahah, I knew I'd get a response from you on that! I could almost hear you whispering in my ear as I was writing it. I actually don't mind IB (as long as I can set it to people with verified ID and previous good reviews) and I haven't ever had any issues with it. I don't want anyone to IB right now, but then I don't want anyone to book at all right now, so am blocking off my calendar anyway.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Elaine300 I have never used IB since I started hosting over 3 years ago. Those messages are generated by a computer bot- why would you allow yourself to feel or be bullied by a robot programmed to try to scare hosts into doing something purely because it generates more profits for Airbnb? It makes about as much sense as rushing out the door to buy some item a TV commercial told you you couldn't possibly live without.

There is no way on earth I would agree to have a guest in my home who I didn't have the opportunity of communicating with before they booked.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I have said this before, and I'll say it again- I regard Airbnb's tips, warnings, threats and proddings the same way I'd regard some perv in a dirty raincoat exposing himself on the street corner to passersby- offensive and unnecessary, but ignorable and basically harmless.

@Sarah977 , you painted a picture right there!  Im drinking Clorox to disinfect my brain!  That said I agree, the auto bot suggestions are only relevant if you agree with them, otherwise its easy peasy to just disregard them.  @Elaine300  As far as instant book goes, its a tool  that works well for me and others but not right for every hosts model.   Stay well, JR

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Good advice above, @Elaine300. It's a bot that's bullying you. Turn it off, but be prepared to have a conversation with would-be guests to make sure they're a good fit.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The email trash works great with auto messages. 

I turned on IB last May to see what happens; still 99% of guests send inquiries full of questions before they booked, the same pattern as before.