Interpretation of "free parking on premises"

Anne11619
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Interpretation of "free parking on premises"

This seems to have been covered before but most posts are now quite old.

As a host, I interpret "free parking on premises" to mean that the parking is on the grounds of the property and that a private parking space is guaranteed. We do not have this amenity at our two properties, just street parking (free at one, paid at another), and we mark it accurately. We have no shortage of bookings despite this.

I've arrived at a property as a guest and there is in fact no "free parking on premises" despite this being one of the searchable amenities. There is free street parking (also checked). Unfortunately, when we arrived it was particularly busy and it took a long time to find a space nearby.

The host is being cooperative and I'm not planning to leave a bad review, but I want to understand from the host community whether there are different interpretations of "free parking on premises" because somehow I'm the first person to actually complain about not having a private space. This surprises me. I can't find specific airbnb guidance on it through the host help sections.

16 Replies 16
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Obviously the host has made a 'mistake' and should correct it immediately @Anne11619 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Anne11619 the 'parking ' in amenities has two tick boxes. One is free parking on premises and the other is free street parking. I have both ticked but am now unticking street parking because of my neighbours who compete savagely for those free spots. the ruling in Australia is that anyone can use those spots and no one can use them as a private space but i have noticed people not using our two parks which are easily available and instead using the street parks. our neighbours do not enjoy this to say the least especially since the front gate is wide open and the private car space very obvious. I also have a rule that if people have children with them they must close the front gates after parking their cars. people just do not want to be bothered really ,often so I would not expect free street parking to necessarily supply you personally with a park but 'on premises 'As helen3  remarked has been added incorrectly.H

I can see why neighbours might get stressed if limited street parking spaces are taken up by airbnb guests, but ultimately its public property and anyone can park there. I get it though, better to keep the neighbours on side, airbnb has a variable reputation already and none of us want to be lumped in with the unscrupulous hosts or receive neighbourhood complaints 

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

"Free parking on premises" means exactly what it says: there is a parking space(s) that is located within the property lines of the listing.  Said parking is reserved for the guest and free.  

Free street parking is absolutely not "Free parking on premises" and the host you are staying with has oversold the listing.  You are also not the first person to complain about this (that is, I think the host isn't being forthright).  And if the host leaves that amenity checked, you won't be the last.  

You can leave him 5* overall if the experience was satisfactory otherwise.  However, I would leave 3* on "Accuracy" as a firm rib jab no matter what.  

I'm going to be checking the listing again later on 😉 but I do think this one was an error. There may be others who have booked on this basis and who complain / review more harshly, it just seems like a huge gamble to deliberately mis-sell such a key amenity!

actually @Anne11619 @Richard531

in your review you'll also be asked about other amenities (outside of the standard review process) and you might have a chance to say that there is no private parking. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Anne11619,

We have both free on premise and free street parking are checked on our listings, because it's the most accurate depiction of the parking availability.  There is a dedicated parking area in front of our guesthouse which can hold three vehicles (we have four rental spaces).  It's rarely full, but sometimes guests park in an inconsiderate manner, and only two cars can fit.  Parking is first come, first served, and when no more vehicles can fit in the car park guests have to park on the road right next to it.  Usually, not all of our guests will have vehicles, and our road has enough space for one or two cars in front of our place.

John2406
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi @Debra300 . 

I'm a bit confused, as when you say that there's dedicated parking area in front of your guesthouse, is that area within the curtilage of your property, or on the road?

I can understand (if I've correctly read what you wrote) that you may well be differentiating between only your Guests are allowed to park in that area, as opposed to anyone being able to park in any other areas, but surely (and I'm not trying to split hairs here) on the road (whether free or designated) means "on the road" whereas within the curtilage of one's property (ie NOT on the road) is "parking ON premises"

Perhaps you do let your Guests know that the free parking on premises isn't actually what the phrase purports, but for anyone wanting the security of parking actually behind gates on a property, I know I would want to know.

Having said that, you might have your property in a very secure area, where your Guests' vehicles would be perfectly safe not on your premises, but something I've come to recognise over the years is that many Guests' live in far less safe/secure areas than ours, so cannot believe how lax we are with some things, that "terrify" them might happen if they didn't immobilise their vehicles etc!

Terminology is a funny thing, meaning different things in different places/Countries, but is also up to various interpretations, so sometimes needs extra clarification - just to be in the safe side (and I'm not saying that that spies to you for your listing, but just saying it because we all have to be mindful of how Guests - in particular - could so easy misconstrue what we are wanting to convey!

Hoping you're having a good season so far, and that you'll have a fantastic summer!

@John2406 interesting word there John, curtilage. I am sure Debra has her four spaces in her Curtilage , not a word you hear every day . People ,John google my car spaces before they arrive and even though you would think they were unable to use a phone they actually know about the carport and often immediately find their way to it ,even in the dark. H

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@John2406,

There is no ambiguity about our on-premise parking.  We include a tagged picture of the parking area in our listings.  

Debra300_0-1653909481622.png

I can tell from some of the comments in this thread that people are envisioning that a flat terrain.  We also have pictures that are take from the road which is right next to the car park.  This is where there is street parking, and displays that the guesthouse is on a hillside.

Debra300_2-1653909860912.pngt

And this is a picture showing the driveway to the guesthouse.  Although we explicitly state in the description that our place may not be a good fit for those with mobility challenges due to the slope and guesthouse location we still get people who have difficulty walking from the road/car park.

Debra300_0-1653911511232.png

Thanks for the well wishes, and I hope the same for you.

@Debra300 looks so pretty.H

@Debra300That is such a good idea to include photos of the parking areas!

As a guest I'd be ok with this, especially as the street parking is just outside and free. Good to mention in the description or house notes too, to cover all bases. 

I once had a friend come for breakfast at my own apartment. A particularly territorial neighbour objected to the car being parked on the free public street outside her building.... and had her gardener throw a bucket of housepaint on it! This lives in my memory and has contributed to my parking requirements as an airbnb guest!

@Anne11619 Exactly . have you ever read a book called The territorial Imperative by Robert Ardrey It really comes into its own when we see neighbourhood property rights disputes. I always say Respect our neighbours as we are part of a community but my neighbours do encroach sometimes and parking is a 'silent war' H