Is it worth charging guests for damage and risking a bad review?

Colette203
Level 6
Salmon Arm, Canada

Is it worth charging guests for damage and risking a bad review?

My recent guests cracked a mirror, worth $80. They were a bit demanding, perhaps. Middle aged. Most picky demographic in my opinion. I already gave them $30 because they wanted plastic containers. Sigh. People are so entitled and grumpy these days, I wonder whether to let it pass as they are likely to leave me a crap review if I do. That said, I hate being a slave to reviews. I wish there was a way to prevent or prove a retaliatory review in this kind of situation. 

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Colette203 

We hosts are hostaged by the review system.

Better get used to it and give guests what the want, or shorten the reservation and kick them out. You probably will get a bad review. (although some guests will award you when being kicked out), but at least you have the relief they are gone !

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Colette203 wrote:

I already gave them $30 because they wanted plastic containers. Sigh. People are so entitled and grumpy these days. 

What do you mean? Like Tupperware? You gave them a $30 refund because you didn't have that? I would not have done it, unless it was something you offered in your amenities (don't think that is even on the amenities list options, but I could be wrong). Your listings look nice and the kitchen very well equipped. Honestly, people will find anything to moan about these days. 

I get very fed up with those types of guests that always want more, more, more. No sorry, I do not have coconut sugar. I provide white and brown sugar, honey and sweetener, even though I just put 'sugar' in my amenities, and even have caster and icing sugar if you're in the mood. But I am not going to go out and buy coconut sugar just because that's what you 'prefer' to sprinkle on your yoghurt. You did not book a suite at The Savoy, my lovely.

Well, that's what I would like to say, but don't...

🙂

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Colette203 

You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Chaulk it up to regular maintenance and a business expense.  Accidents happen.  Though I do, in my Welcome Message, note that "spills and accidents happen, please let us know, so we can fix the concern before the next guest arrives".

Learned that from a first guest who dropped a bottle of Indian Hot Sauce on a cream coloured kitchen rug. She blamed her husband and we joked about it. They offered to pay, we declined. 5 🌟 review received. 🤣

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@M199 Indeed, if a guest says they broke something and offers to pay they don't get charged. A recent guest broke the riser rail in the shower and offered to replace it themselves if they could borrow a screwdriver. It was old and obviously brittle so we replaced it for free. I do like this sort of guest.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Colette203 

These kind of guest are annoying. If its something minor, put it in the review that they damaged something. 

For me it helps to have my own rule, to only take issue with a guest if they damaged something. If its a broken glass I tell them to just forget about it.

Not sure how someone can break a mirror by accident?  

I've had guest complain about such minor things that no one else ever complains about. 

But for minor damage would just mention it in the review, click don't host again, and avoid getting into with guest.