Learning to become a Co-Host

Learning to become a Co-Host

I am a college student that is looking to get an opportunity to clean properties, and learn to become a Co-Host. How would I go about finding hosts in my area that would be interested in teaching a young kid who is interested in this type of business? Thank you. 

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicholas614  You don't say what area you are in, but there are often Facebook hosting groups you may be able to join and connect with hosts or other co-hosts who would be willing to let you apprentice and learn what's involved in cleaning to short term rental standards and learning what's involved in co-hosting. Co-hosting and hosting are really the same thing, it's just that co-hosts take on either some or all of the aspects of hosting because the host lives far away, or prefers not to be involved in running the place. 

So co-hosts need to learn about how to handle almost any issue that comes up. Reading posts on this forum on a regular basis is a really good way to get an idea of pretty much everything, and that's something you can do from the comfort of your own home.

Oh my apologies I forgot to mention, I'm from the San Diego, California area. I have been looking into Facebook groups,  and there is only one in my area, and I am not sure if I will get accepted or not since I am still quite new to this whole scene. However I am 100% committed to becoming an apprentice. I have been called a scammer, and many people in my area are not looking for Co-Hosts at the moment, so I am just kind of confused on what to do, so any given opportunity would be amazing. Thank you for your response!

If the Facebook groups don't work, what do you suggest I try and do? Thanks!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can't expect hosts to teach you the ropes. They employ co-hosts because they have the expertise and knowledge to help hosts run their STR . Not the other way around.

if you want to gain experience you can invest in advertising and marketing to promote your cleaning service .

you can also research STR management companies in your area and see if they have any work opportunity  

@Nicholas614 Have you considered gaining experience elsewhere in the hospitality industry first, such as a restaurant or hotel? As you've probably already found on Facebook, there's not really some big untapped demand for Co-hosts out there - hosts usually choose either someone they already know and trust, or someone with an established hosting profile who doesn't require any training. 

Cleaning isn't even the main part of the job, but if that's something you enjoy doing, you can try picking up some gigs on a site like TaskRabbit that you can fit between your study schedule. You'll find that people are far likelier to trust a stranger from the internet with a specific task than with a partnership in their business.