Leasing through airbnb

Kristian120
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Leasing through airbnb

Hello,

So i found a condo listing on condo's.com and found a place and emailed the owner to request a viewing. I thought it would be all good but then the owner responded with this

"Hello,

I just got married and moved to QC with my wife. Since I can't show you the unit in person and I didn't have time to hire a realtor due to the wedding and moving, I'm using Airbnb as a rental platform (viewing will be arranged, standard Ontario lease agreement, a lease of 1 year minimum, no extra fees). Let me know if you are still interested and I'll send the details.

I'll email the Airbnb booking, which you will have to complete (deposit first and last month's rent, deposit that will be held until you have viewed the condo, to confirm that it's as expected and there aren't any discrepancies). After you complete the booking, I'll send a copy of the key and the rental lease agreement directly to the concierge and I'll inform him that you will be coming to view the condo. If you decide to rent, you'll have to notify Airbnb to release the deposit to me. If not, you will get a full refund (which will be processed within 48 hours)"

Thought this was an obvious scam but I wanted to double check. 

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kristian120 

It is a known scam.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kristian120  This isn't "leasing through Airbnb". This isn't how Airbnb works. Guests don't authorize Airbnb to release your deposit to a host. When a guest books an Airbnb, your credit card is charged by the company. Airbnb releases the payment to the host 24 hours after the guest checks in.

You should report this scam to condos.com