Level ??

Answered!
Sandra160
Level 2
Clonegall, Ireland

Level ??

In looking at the conversations here I have noticed that some contributors are described as "Level 1", others as "Level 10" and I have also noticed "Level 8".

What do these "Levels" mean and if it is a scale of some type how does one progress from one level to another?

1 Best Answer
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

Hi @Sandra160, it's a measure of community centre activity. The exact metrics haven't been published but basically the more you post and respond to questions and the more thumbs up or mentions you get the higher your level will go. It appears to change automatically rather than through any manual intervention.

View Best Answer in original post

42 Replies 42
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

Hi @Sandra160, it's a measure of community centre activity. The exact metrics haven't been published but basically the more you post and respond to questions and the more thumbs up or mentions you get the higher your level will go. It appears to change automatically rather than through any manual intervention.

I had NO idea!  LOL

Thanks for clearing this up fo me too Victoria! Air BNB does seem to have a strong penchant for this type of competitive scoring for hosts......

That’s interesting considering not everybody likes being on the computer like myself. So reading and responding to the community conversations is the only way you can elevate to a 10?

I think its a way to keep us from blasting them when we are upset about something.. its a control!

April99
Level 2
Panama City Beach, FL

they finally turned my access to the community back on... seems like if we are really upset about something.. . suddenly, we can't post in community LOL

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

oh @Sandra160, What a delightfully refreshing question. I wondered about it myself until recently.

You know our Good Geeks at AirBnb H.Q. love to offer rank and score incentives. 

it's just a measure of the level of involvement and the nature of the advice. It will be a cumulative score based on a composite range of factors.

Guess the favourite vege of an AirBnb Good Geek?

#: )

Christine.

I wasn't sure if it was my host status. I am reading everything for heads up and also to see my issues aren't so bad. lol. I was hoping someone had the same issue of a guest ...not following directions. I need to leave a review for a 'confused and anxious' guest. some guests are smooth and easy, others are very needy.

what makes the level increase

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hi @Sandra160, I only discovered the forum recently and find it strangely addictive so I have risen in the levels. It is like having colleagues in a very solitary business. I love reading the problems and the solutions, and if I have something I think might be worthwhile to contribute I do, and before I knew it I was on a higher level. Not sure I like the levels much but could be useful as when you read the advice of someone at level 10 you will know that they are experienced.

I also find reading the posts, "addicting" but perhaps more useful than Sudoku

Hey @Sandra160 and @Sandra126 

I also reached level 10 recently, after publishing an article here and also on Medium responding to the changes with COVID-19 and widespread damages to hosts. 

I am wondering if there is any benefit to having the status - does it afford any advantages to you, or is it just a number?

@Rose123

No, there's no benefit whatsoever - at least, not anymore, and not for those who haven't been grandfathered in.

In the earlier days of the forum, when they were struggling to get the CC off the ground (because - to the fury of many - Airbnb had abruptly disbanded the previous very popular host-run community groups in favour of this more centralised, controlled, censored format), hosts who were most active here in the evangelical spread of the company gospel were indeed favoured with priority search placement and support - or "algorithmically rewarded", as one of the staffers tasked with trying to lure posters over from the old groups once described it to me.

To be fair, most of those who did benefit were totally unaware that they were the lucky recipients of special privileges, but it stands to reason that Airbnb needed to ensure that the most zealous company cheerleaders had stellar hosting and support experiences - it wouldn't have looked great if hosts who couldn't get bookings to save their lives because Airbnb had grossly over-saturated their markets, or those who'd just been screwed over by CX denying their damage claims after guests had thrashed their homes, were coming to the CC only to be told by the most active forum leaders "Oh yeah, that's exactly what happened to me too!"

Nowadays though, no such privileges exist anymore, except for the few who have retained them from the earlier days, and the CC levels of the current-day forum are nothing more than a straight-up gamification tool. 

Hi @Susan17  thank you for your intelligent assessment. Seem like this platform isn't going to help "hosts who hurt the most" then! LOL. I guess we are all just going to have to cross our fingers that Chesky steps down and there is a company culture change to prevent this from ever happening to hosts again.