Neighbor harassing by posting signs

Neighbor harassing by posting signs

Hello.  Our next door neighbor is retaliating because we had a lawyer make the HOA remove an unlawful by-law banning short term rentals.  The HOA had the by law added a couple of years ago "just to appease" our neighbor and even wrote in the minutes that it is unenforceable.  

Now we are trying to sell the property so that is why we had it removed last week.  Now our listing says "VRBO history available" which I am sure mad him mad.  Two days later he made signs that are on his property, the house on the other side of us, and the house across from us that say "help keep our neighborhood Air BandB free".  So three signs only surrounding my property.  No others in the neighborhood.

Now this could detract buyers.  And the idiot isn't even considering that MAYBE someone would buy that won't rent it out.  If we can't sell it, and we keep it, it is 100% going to be rented out.

So anyone experience something similar and have any suggestions?  We have contacted the same lawyer we used against the HOA but thought I would ask here.

2 Replies 2

@Theresa569  I haven't experienced this exact situation, but my neighborhood had a long phase where people displayed anti-Airbnb, anti-gentrification, and anti-tourism signage in their properties. And despite having been a host myself, I'm 100% in favor of them exercising their freedom of speech. If we only care about civil liberties when they don't inconvenience us, we don't really care about civil liberties at all.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Theresa569  What do your HOA bylaws say about signs in yards?  My HOA does not even allow the posting of real estate For Sale signs.