New anti-party technology

New anti-party technology

Being new to the community and soon to be a host, I'm curious to know the community's experience to support your views on Airbnb's announcement of the "New anti-party technology in the US and Canada" a few days ago, which has already been tested in Australia (although not the same).
The key points I found interesting of the article:
* Announcing the introduction of new anti-party tools in the US and Canada to help identify potentially high-risk reservations and prevent those users from taking advantage of our platform
* This system looks at factors like:
   - History of positive reviews (or lack of positive reviews)
   - Length of time the guest has been on Airbnb
   - Length of the trip
   - Distance to listing
   - Weekend vs. weekday
   - Among many others.
* The primary objective is attempting to reduce the ability of bad actors to throw unauthorized parties which negatively impact our Hosts, neighbors, and the communities we serve.

And "the cherry" of the article is this paragraph:

* While we are optimistic that this technology will have a positive impact for the safety of our community and our goal to reduce unauthorized parties — we want to be clear that no system is perfect. We work hard to determine bad actors from using our platform, but ultimately Airbnb is an online platform that facilitates real world connections. That’s why we continually seek to partner with experts and communities to complement their safety efforts, and we continue to invest in our Neighborhood Support Line to facilitate direct communication with neighbors regarding potential parties in progress or concerns with any nearby listings.

My question for everyone, especially those who already have time and experience as hosts (with a clear business vision): will it work? is it usefull?

Important: My intention is not to have a discussion full of complaints and emotional venting without proactively thinking of solutions, basically I want to know the resources we have both inside and outside the platform.

Article link: https://news.airbnb.com/airbnb-introduces-new-anti-party-technology-in-us-and-canada/ 

3 Replies 3

@Lorena676  They've been using some version of this blocker for about 2 years, so it's unclear what the new features are. One common complaint from hosts (as with several other Airbnb products) has been that they couldn't override the bot if their human assessment of a blocked prospective booking reached a different conclusion. 

One crucial data point that the algorithm doesn't have access to is whether a host is present onsite or nearby to supervise the property. Many Entire Home properties are actually self-contained units adjacent to where the host lives, so the risk of parties is much lower than you have with remotely hosted homes. No amount of fancy coding can replace the original "anti-party technology," which as teenagers we knew as "mom and dad not being away for the weekend."

In the long run, I think a more effective approach would be to eliminate the AirCover scheme and stop recruiting hosts with promises that they have a safety net if guests destroy their home. Not only has this often turned out not to be true; it's also stopped a lot of hosts from setting parameters and taking precautions to prevent these destructive incidents from happening in the first place. 

@Anonymous

You hit the point: marketing attempts to recruit hosts with false promises. I have noticed that many blindly join this adventure without investigating. Luckily there are creative people in the market helping us to solve potential headaches.
I am particularly focusing on gadgets that cover my back. I found a smoke monitor and noise detector (parties!) that notifies me on the spot and leaves me reports. The nice thing is that this same company offers me other solutions for monitoring and air purification, (wildfire season)

If anyone reading this has more recommendations, please share!

Link of what I just mentioned: 
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220714005703/en/Wynd-Technologies-Unveils-Innovative-Smoke-and-Noise-Detection-Solution-for-Short-Term-Rental-Property-Owners

Product: https://hellowynd.com/pages/sentry?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=lagref&utm_campaign=sentry_preorder

https://hellowynd.com/collections/all

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The elimination of AirCover will not only eliminate 'I-am-a-victim-of-a-party' claims by risky hosts, but also the 'let-me-pack-them-like-sardines'  listings that are constantly filing claims for damages because they allowed excessive number of guests (to earn more money and/or to 'outshine' the competition).