New to AirBnB and Just received my first guest request. Where on the platform can I find more information on this guest?

New to AirBnB and Just received my first guest request. Where on the platform can I find more information on this guest?

I understand that ABnB "verifies" the guest but do owners/host get to see this verification process? I have been told not to host guest who live in my City but how can I find the background information on my guest before approving them?  Thanks in advance!

7 Replies 7
Enri1804
Level 10
North Topsail Beach, NC

@Kimberly878 No. Make sure you require “ID verified”. I wish this and an address was automatically in with the guest profile but unfortunately it isn’t. You’ll have to ask the guest before you approve. If the city they live in isn’t already on their profile I ask, where’s your hometown, where are you traveling from? Sometimes you can search their full name online and get some basic info. You’ll probably want to ask a lot of questions and/or have good rules and confirm they are read.

I also wish we could have a bit more information provided to us about booked guests without having to interrogate them. My airbnb is on my property, so they have my address obviously. I just feel like they have way more info about me. Am I allowed to ask for a copy their drivers license? 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gianna105 

Unfortunately potential guests verification details have been progressively removed from us hosts over the years. We are now required to accept totally anonymous packages without a profile image or any identifying material.

Gianna, I have learned to live with it and my way around this almost total anonymity, I study the wording of the guests initial message to me!

I have discovered potential guests fall into two distinct categories, A/......Passive/complimentary or B/.......Aggressive/demanding !

A/......"Hello Robin, my name is Rachel and my partner David and I would like to spend 2 nights in your lovely cottage to celebrate  Davids 40th birthday" Gianna, I can't hit the accept button fast enough! They have named themselves, told me the reason for their visit and have praised what they have seen in my description.....I know they will be good guests.

B/......."We are coming to your place for a wedding, is there off-street parking for our car? we will need to arrive at 1.00 pm to prepare for the wedding. Can we have a couple of fellow wedding guests for a drink before the wedding!"  Now hang on, I don't know you from Adam, but you have all these demands, most of which would have been answered if you had bothered to read my house rules.....I would suggest my listing might not be a good fit for their requirements and suggest they look at other accommodation options in the area. 

I don't rent to hagglers!!!!

Gianna, the grounds on which we can reject guests (or their pets) these days are virtually non-existent so we have to look for subtleties in the way we invite strangers into our homes!

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4 Thanks so much for your response. I love your categories!! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gianna105 

Gianna  they work, I very rarely get a poor guest! I sort out the wheat from the chaff, and over 680 + Airbnb guest stays I have only been let down 3 times.

That's a good track record I think! 

Cheers........Rob

Very helpful ! Thank you

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kimberly878 

Also, often the city or country on the guest's profile isn't current, i.e. that was just where they were living when they signed up. It doesn't mean that's where they are from, nor where they are living now. 

You cannot see the guest's full name, nor profile photo, until after they book, but you can require that they have uploaded a profile photo in order to book (and also that they have verified their ID). If you use instant booking (I wouldn't recommend this to a new host), you can also require that they have positive reviews.

I ask guests to tell me a bit about themselves before I will accept their booking, so that's the easiest way to find out if they are local or coming from elsewhere.