New to hosting and I’ve just been done over by a guest and I’m not sure what I can do!

Pav271
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

New to hosting and I’ve just been done over by a guest and I’m not sure what I can do!

Hi I’m new to hosting, we joined Airbnb only a month ago and our property has been very popular. We had a guest stay on the weekend who told us that she was in town for an engagement, but it later transpired that she was hosting her 21st birthday party at the property. We have a strict no parties or events rule because of the location which we made clear. It’s also unlawful to have more then 15 people at the property due to Covid. The neighbours called us early hours of Saturday morning to tell us about the party and as we have a ring doorbell we could see about 20 people gathered outside. We had to call the police and we’re on the phone to the Airbnb supper team for two hours from 3am on Saturday. We were advised we can cancel the reservation and won’t loose the booking fee and we can put in a claim form any damages. But since Saturday Airbnb have refunded the guest and deducted her refund from our pay out and the guest has rejected the claim for damages. I’m not sure the point of a security deposit if it can’t be utilised for cases like this. I have sent images etc of the damages and was on hold with Airbnb team for an hour today, only to be told the department I need to speak to won’t take my call and I have to wait three days until the case worker who dealt with my original call is back in. In addition the guest has written a false review about us, and our account has been suspended because we didn’t realise a ring doorbell classes as a camera and we didn’t list it in our house rules, which I have since rectified. I feel extremely frustrated and helpless - is there anything more I can do? 

12 Replies 12
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Pav271 

Sorry to read about your bad experience

It seems the account of the guest is not active (anymore)

Your listing is (temporary) suspended (removed from the search system)

You have to wait for the investigation of Airbnb, there is not much more you can do..

About camera's :

What are airbnbs rules about security cameras and other recording devices in listings

Be sure to claim damages following these procedures:

What do i do if my guest breaks something in my place

Pav271
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Thank you for your response. I will wait the three days and see if anyone gets back to me, I just think it’s madness they would refund the guest whilst the investigation is ongoing. This is just one image of the main bedroom. 

D0F88E46-5DF9-47AF-BCD0-E324CA9FF2C9.jpeg

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Pav271 If you have proof of the party the new rules should allow you to get the review removed. do keep us informed how you get on.

Pav271
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Yes I do have proof, it’s listed under our house rules and I have messages from the guest that she is attending an engagement. I also submitted this image of what they left behind! 

A5B98618-DF2B-4E73-AF9B-F989CE31FA90.jpeg

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Pav271 

So sorry to hear about your experience.

You may look into the valid point below, how to prevent the party guest and the Airbnb policy and housing standards: 

1. The Airbnb' Party guest target new host.' 
  2. Airbnb deposit, not an actual deposit
  3. An Airbnb host does need STR addition insurance [ Short Term Rental InsuranceIf you do not have short-term rental insurance for Airbnb, start a plan as soon as possible.Airbnb hosts do need additional insurance. Having the right insurance to protect you and your property it's essential to save you from facing mutilation problems. Hosting with any accurate frequency is likely to void your current homeowner's policy, and Airbnb's protection is inadequate. Consult with your local insurance agency for additional security and the insurance procedure to protect your home and your activity business.
  4. By installing a smart lock with the camera is a great way to prevent party guests. Airbnb must require hosts to disclose all security cameras and other recording devices in their listings.
  5. You may request every guest's full name for reference before you provide the check-In procedure. You can also ask the guest to check in to verify government ID to prevent the party guest and extra guest.
  6. Screen the guest before you approve the booking, don't be shy to ask your potential guest questions. What brings you to the neighborhood? Work or travel leisure trip? What are the relationships between the guests? who's joining the group?  
  7. Charge an extra guest fee and claim the guest additional cleaning cost and damaged through the resolution center
  8. What is Airbnb Host Guarantee, and What is Airbnb Host Protection Insurance
  9. The reviews party ban the new policy. The party guest is not allowed to leave a review to the host.
  10. It is essential to read the Airbnb Help Article before publishing the new listing. The help page link: https://www.airbnb.com/help/home

You may find all the points and the detail mentioned above in the Airbnb Help Page Article.

Meanwhile, do contact Airbnb often via message to the team to remind the case manager who's temporarily deactivated your listing to contact you and update you on the investigation and the outcome.

Your listing is temporarily delisted for investigation, it may take few days or a week.

I hope Airbnb will contact you soon.   

Pav271
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Thank you for the informative response, I think we are being targeted as we have just had a similar experience with todays guest.  I cannot believe the state the house was left in again.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pav271  Guests are always refunded for unstayed nights of a booking when the host gets them cancelled.

And the Airbnb "security deposit" doesn't actually exist. No hold is put on a guest's credit card, you have to ask the guest to pay, which of course most of them refuse to do.

You need your own short term rental insurance.

Also Airbnb customer service is abyssmal. The reps are ill-trained, don't know policy, and often give out completely wrong advice and info.

So sorry this happened to you right out the gate. Apologize to your neighbors if you haven't already, and ask them to please call you no matter what time of the day or night if they see anyth7ng suspicious going on, or the guests are disturbing them because you certainly don't want these kinds of guests.

Pav271
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Thank you Sarah, to be honest after todays guest I am thinking of pulling the listing as Airbnb offer no support.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Pav271 sorry this happened so early in your hosting career. Here are some tips that may help:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-to-avoid-unwillingly-hosting-a-party-tips-red-flags-...

Raise your prices. Screen carefully. Insist on the full name of each guest upon booking or cancel if you can't get it. Disclose your exterior cameras (they are allowed if disclosed). Keep as much documentation as you can. Only communicate within the platform so Airbhb can get involved. Always bill within the resolution center so Airbnb host guarantee can kick in. You upload invoices, receipts and photos before the next guest checks in.

One star review for guest.

Sorry this happened. I suspect some people target new hosts because other new hosts let things slide because they are scared of bad reviews and just perpetuate the problem when that guest moves on to other hosts.

Stand your ground and ask for arbitration if necessary. We've told Airbnb that customer service has go to improve!

@Sarah977 @Pav271 

Each and every time any of my guests allowed people not on the reservation to occupy my listing, I called Airbnb, had the reservation cancelled and ejected them.

On each occasion, Airbnb asked if I was prepared to refund the nights that the guests would not be staying, to which I always replied that I don't refund thieves.  I have always received the full booking amount and never had any "unused" nights deducted.

@Cave0  Good on you. I think some hosts are able to be assertive with customer service in a way that keeps them from being screwed over.  "I'm the boss of what goes on at my place" comes across loud and clear. 

Those who think or act as if they need Airbnb's permission to boot out bad guests don't get respected, it seems.

But your experience doesn't seem to be the norm as far as posts on this forum. Maybe hosts who don't allow themselves to get screwed over just don't show up on hosting forums much.