New to the Community Center? Introduce yourself here (Updated)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New to the Community Center? Introduce yourself here (Updated)

Hello everyone,

A warm welcome to the Community Center. 

This discussion is for introducing yourself to your fellow Airbnb Community members, as well as welcoming and saying hello to newcomers in return. Thanks to all of you who have already introduced yourself and contributed in our previous thread, here.  

I'm Lizzie and I am the Community Manager here, along with my teammate @Quincy. I have been managing the Airbnb Community Center since it officially opened in November 2015. It is fantastic to speak with amazing community members here. 

To kickstart this topic, I would like to share a few things about myself:

1. I love to travel, hot or cold it doesn't matter - I'm ready with my sun lotion or a raincoat! 
  2. I play several instruments, but my main one is the flute. I always enjoy a good conversation about music. 
  3. Lastly, over the past year I have become very interested in all things eco/sustainablilty related.

How about you? Any interesting facts or hobbies?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

456 Replies 456
Cheryl741
Level 3
Mt Vernon, WA

I am new to the community and looking forward to finding out useful tips and hints from other hosts. I've been hosting for several years but it seems the Airbnb platform is constantly changing and guest expectations seem to vary and change quickly, too. So I can use your help! 

About me, I love to travel and stay at Airbnbs. I especially like to travel internationally. My rental is a cottage in an area popular for agritourism but we also see a lot of traveling professionals and remote workers. I bought my current Airbnb property in 2020 because of the great rental opportunity, but it's not how I would have designed a property had it been my own place. So I am also looking for property improvement tips that won't break the bank!

Kathryn514
Level 2
Poole, United Kingdom

Hello everyone 😊

I have read hundreds of threads on this site in the last 6 months, I think every question and problem has been answered, which has been great. 

Along with a friend, my husband and I bought a studio flat in the next seaside town to ours in April 21. About 6 months of prep went into this, after a year of saving up, and in that time I did so much research into exactly what to do. I must have easily spent over 200 hours on this site, as well as reading various guides about how to be a good airbnb host. 

After getting the keys to our flat, we spent 2 weeks doing it up before we listed it last month, and we currently have our 12th guest in there. We don't live there, it is all self check-in, which makes choosing the guests a lot easier. I don't think I would be brave enough to host in my own home! 

I've already experienced some of the challenges, nothing major luckily, but airbnb took a review away because they thought I had paid someone to write a review because the price was so low. I had put the price low for a friend of a friend, so I sent airbnb screenshots of texts from my friend who was there sending me photos of things she liked (she had helped decorate the week before). In the end, they said because she hadn't stayed there and her friend had, that it was a third party booking so they would not reinstate the review. I've also had a person have a 22 message long conversation with me, to then just not book, but I suspect real problems will start when I get my first bad review and will probably stress about it for weeks! 

I've just read the last few pages of this thread and it's so cool to see all the different corners of the globe we are all from! I kept thinking "ooh I want to go there!" 

Kathryn x 

Mir4097
Level 2
Karachi, Pakistan

Hi

Hermi77
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

David7794
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Hello, my name is David. My wife and I are Air Bnb hosts in Australia. I have a question regarding the acceptance of reservations for potential guests when you are outside Wi Fi range. My email address is ** Previously before the recent changes that Air Bnb made to their hosting format I was able to pick up and reply to guest's reservations but now I can only see the reservations if I am in Wi Fi range. I am concerned about missing out on a booking if I am outside Wi Fi range, regards, David

**[E-mail address & phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

David7870
Level 8
Vista, CA

Hi I’m Debi (wife of Dave), 

Dave will post from time to time too but I use to help run a large staff on a huge  Christian Forum for ten years so it’s likely that I will get involved more in community posting. 

We have a beautiful one acre lot in the hills of Vista, Ca. “Close Enough” to the beaches of Carlsbad and Oceanside. We created a beautiful private entry  suite that faces valley and ocean views*.

We were going to open over a year ago but with the Covid Shutdown and  three family member’s lay-offs, we just hunkered down to take care of each other for the year. Our goal was to open  by Memorial Day this year and we did it!  And we made SuperHost status in a month too which was soooo exciting!!

Love it! The timing was perfect. And perfectly needed as well. We adore hosting (Dave would not say “adore” but it perfectly describes me😃).

It’s expensive opening an Air BnB. Our goal by next Memorial Day is to have a raised gazebo with a beautiful jacuzzi sitting right in front of that gorgeous view of ours, so our guests can be deported into the sunset every night and relax under the stars out here in the hills of Vista. 

Soooooo happy to meet you all!!😀

Cherrelle0
Level 1
Elk Grove, CA

Hello Everyone! 

I’m Cherrelle from Sacramento, CA! I would love to get started, but unsure on how to negotiate with apartments to let me sublet their units. 

Anybody in Sac who can help a girl out?! 

Frank1211
Level 2
Newport Beach, CA

Hi, I'm Frank,

I am a host in Newport Beach, California.  I've been hosting for over 4 years and love  it.  I am also an airbnb ambassador, so if any of you have any hosting questions feel free to ask.

Thanks again!

Frank

Hola buenas tardes soy Alexandra de Argentina, vivo en Neuquén patagonia de la Argentina pero nací en Córdoba y tengo una casa en las sierras específicamente en Santa Rosa de Calamuchita diseñada para recibir gente.  No soy anfitriona, me gustaría serlo ya que me jubilo con 52 años, así es acá en el sur de la Argentina (aunque al ser fonoaudióloga algo desde lo privado continuaré trabajando) me gustaría seguir conociendo gente a través de airbnb.

Aquí en mi país aún la pandemia se vive en forma muy lenta para avanzar en temas prevención y/o vacunas , con lo cual ha dejado mucha gente sin trabajo y pocos motivados para poder seguir emprendiendo esos maravillosos viajes que nos hacen sentir vivos.

Perdón me extendí en mis sentires. mi propuesta puntual es saber si hay posibilidades de intercambios sin costos o a bajos costos o intercambios desde lo que el otro puede ofrecer al ser alojado y poder de esta manera seguir creciendo como humanidad. Sino no fui clara, pedir más detalle. Espero respuesta, en lo posible. Muchas gracias. Alexandra Giordani

Hi Frank,

I am a Super host in Matagorda Tx.  We have a cozy 3/2 cottage 2nd row on the beach.  I was trying to block some dates on the web site for me and my family to use but I no longer see the buttons on the right side  and then I read something about them wanting us to let them book our families.  I want to block dates I want to use my home any time.    Do you have any recommendations.  

Thanks for any info you may have.

Marissa

@Marissa157 if you are on the web then the right hand side panel opens up when you select the dates. Others have reported problems with this but I think they were on the app.

Jim1702
Level 1
Santa Barbara, CA

Hi Lizzie.   I'm Jim in Santa Barbara and am glad to know of this forum

I'd like to suggest an eco idea for airbnb.   The Company is a game changer in so many ways.  Another way would be for Airbnb to go Green by encouraging Guests and Hosts to take steps that save energy, resources whatever.   Having a measure like this would encourage the service provide (host) and service receiver (guest) to conserve where it makes sense (no unnecessary waste of resources.). For an example, we had a guest of two adults stay for two nights and together they used 6 bath towels, 5 hand towels and 3 was cloths.  If there were a rating category for Eco friendly guesting and hosting, wouldn't we all be better off.   Airbnb can encourage that savings which the hospitality industry uses somewhat but not much.

Pedram11
Level 2
İstanbul, Turkey

Hello!

This is Pedram from Istanbul. I'm 23 and the loveliest part of hosting for me is sitting down and looking at all these different people from different cultures and enjoy at how smart, kind, happy, and lovely they are all together and at the same time, their governments have big problems. in 5 years of hosting experience, I saw people from everywhere on this earth and I loved all of them. I learned life lessons from them and I'm still learning.

recently I'm trying to grow my business and manage other Airbnb accounts as not everyone like me has enough time to don't lose their first 10 minutes of golden time to answer their guests or even they don't have enough experience about how to manage to be a host

Kim2422
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone 

I have been hosting since 2017, but never really got to joining until now. Im hoping to learn more to become a super host.

Wish me luck 🙏🏼