Newly wed couple requesting sofa bed be made up

Vicki508
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

Newly wed couple requesting sofa bed be made up

Hi. Im a very new host - only one month. Have 1 bedroom unit and sofa bed that i ask guests to request if needed, as I understand not all two adults will be couples. Also allow children. 

A new guest on air bnb reached out and told me they are new wed. I accepted them and they are due to stay in the next week. They have extended their stay from 2 night to 7 nights and requested sofa bed be made up. I've asked confirmation of only 2 guests to which she replied yes. 

Its been bugging me, not to mention another bed to make up and clean. Im worried they are misleading me? I've just sent the following msg to her

"

Hi ###, im confused why a newly wed couple would request two beds? The sofa lounge will take up the entire lounge area. I recommend as a couple that you enjoy that space instead of an extra bed.

Vicki"

Is this reasonable? 

5 Replies 5
Patricia1375
Level 4
Nederland, CO

@Vicki508I would never assume newlyweds or any other two-some staying at my cabin would necessarily share a bed if more than one bed is available.  My Grandparents were married seventy five years and always slept in twin beds.  Some people snore.  Some people keep varied hours of the day and night and don't sleep together because their body clocks are on different times.  My belief is:  It's none of our business where our guests sleep.  Be happy they signed up for additional days to stay.  As hosts, we provide a place for people to stay.  If you offer a place with one or ten beds, some times guests try a bed out and decide it's too soft.  They go for a second bed, and it's too hard.  Like the Three Bears!  But our guests get to choose.  How and why they sleep where they do is none of our business.  Enjoy the additions income of the extra nights they are staying, and hopefully you will get a great review.

Thank you. I never thought about it like that. I have already experienced a bad guest (abusing neighbours, leaving dirty dishes everywhere etc) i guess im just paranoid. Thank you.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Vicki508 this drives my husband crazy! We have a couple stay, newlywed or no, and they use both beds-- lots of laundry that isn't expected. Its not uncommon. My husband has talked about closing off one of the rooms for couples requests but as we rent a whole house, it would seem stingy to me. It happens a lot. People sleep separately or think a different mattress will be more to their liking (though we tell guests ours are identical.) Or they soil one bed (cough) and want to move on to another with clean sheets. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Vicki508 Sorry you sent that msg to the guests.....you never know the sleeping habits, patterns or such and if the house has 2 beds....be ready for both to be used/soiled. If 3 then 3 might certainly be used.....ppl think I paid for this whole house with 3 beds,,, clean sheets every night.....I know, its ridiculous but that's how some very cheap ppl roll. And you got all the advice, its non of our business as hosts. 

Just send a new message like this: then leave these folks to it.....too many messages will turn them off. good luck.

I just want to make sure we are supplying enough of everything that you might need and for the correct number of guests. Just want to be clear 2 guests? 

happy hosting, and don't panic or always assume you understand what or why ppl do what they do.....its a mystery and sometimes will blow you mind.

Blessings, Clara

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Vicki508 After looking at your listing.....You offer 2 beds.....why for 2 ppl. You list that booking is for only 2 people yet you offer the sofa bed. so you created this situation. Understand my confusion. Why would you offer 2 if only 2 ppl......??? You see, guess you thought 2 friends would want to stay here.....and both have beds....Well, then why not 2 that are married? So You will have such a situation often....also, perhaps there's a couple and a child and they want to bring them also? Just make sure you have really strong mattress protection on that sofa bed....not even one night without or you could have severe problems. Just my take on it. Best regards, Clara