No communication

Bill977
Level 1
Simpsonville, SC

No communication

Hello! I have been hosting for a while now and have had great experiences so far with 99% of my guests. My question is, should I be concerned when a guest totally ignores me? I have had very limited communication with my guest since he booked my cabin. I usually check with them after they arrive to make sure that all is well and if they have any questions or needs. This guest has not responded. When he first instant booked, I sent him an introductory message to welcome him, but I did not receive any answers to my questions. He is new to Airbnb and does not have any reviews. Now he is supposedly checked in, but no response. Am I being overly concerned for nothing?

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Bill977 unless you asked him specific questions to which you need the answers, and you have asked at least twice, stressing that you require a reply, I personally would not be concerned. Many guests prefer to be left alone.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Bill977 It's always a little discomforting when a guest is extremely uncommunicative. It can heighten your worry of something being wrong, for sure. What are you worried about in particular? It's highly likely this guest just wants to unplug from the world, and may even not have any devices turned on. Your cabin sounds like the perfect place to do that. Do you have anyone who keeps an eye on the place for you, since you're not right there? If so, I would let it go. If he needs anything, he'd no doubt let you know.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I wouldn’t worry about it. Some people are just naturally more private than others. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I run a self-check-in guest suite with no shared space. It took me a while to figure out that the vast majority of guests just want to go about their own business and have their privacy. That's WHY they picked MY stay! So I don't send them any emails once they've checked in.

David6574
Level 2
Portland, OR

There have certainly been numerous horror stories about guests that were entirely uncommunicative- where the host comes to clean after the guest has left, only to find the place completely trashed. I guess that's the risk you take by hosting someone with no previous reviews.