Pet fee not paid

Joe2862
Level 2
Newland, NC

Pet fee not paid

This is my first year hosting, and we've had almost back to back guests since January. Lately we've had guests bringing dogs, (we allow pets), but they never paid the pet fee. Ours is $30. Have other hosts had this problem, and what did you do? Prior to the last month or so, any guest bringing a dog generally paid the pet fee.  Now all of a sudden, the last three  out of five guests have brought dogs. I let the first couple of times go. But now it happened a third time with the guest that just arrived this afternoon; she was out walking her big dog around the property.

I'm a little reluctant to approach them and ask for $30. I feel like this would get their experience off on the wrong foot. On the other hand, it's not fair to us, since we have to spent a little more time cleaning.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

8 Replies 8
Renee291
Level 7
Cincinnati, OH

No need to approach her in person. Use the Resolution Center in the platform and request the pet fee there. Include a friendly reminder message that the pet fee is due. This will also provide a convenient way for her to pay. If she doesn't voluntarily pay, handle it through Airbnb. Maybe snap an inconspicuous pic of her walking the dog in case there's a dispute. In the future, perhaps you can request the fee before or at check in?

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Joe2862  You can add the pet fee to the reservation but the guest has to indicate they are bringing a dog.

First, I would make it clear in your listing description that dogs are welcome with a $30 pet fee. (I didn't look at your listing so you might already have this)

Then, put it in your rules. Nobody reads these but it's a cover your a** sort of thing.

In your welcome message to guests after they book I would reinforce this..."If you are bringing a pet, please let me know as they will need to be added to the reservation and require a $30 pet fee."

Finally, my rule is "No pet fee, no entry." If you aren't able to collect the fee in advance, don't send check-in instructions. The day before check-in simply say, "Once the pet fee is paid I will send check-in instructions and your entry code (or directions for key pick-up)." That usually works.

Good luck!

Suzanne,

Thanks for your help. To be clear, the biggest issue is when we have no idea that the guest is bringing a pet, until they arrive. We make it clear in our listing that there is a pet fee, but apparently not clear enough for some.

We've had some guests bring a pet, and pay the fee. Others have said they are bringing a pet, but didn't pay the fee. But mostly, it's been guests that bring a pet, and never mention it.

I think I'll try your advice about reminding them, either in the message I send thanking them for the reservation, or the check-in message.

Joe

Kim866
Level 7
Puryear, TN

@Joe2862   In our welcome message I end with "will you be traveling with any pets?"  We don't charge any extra fee but if we did I think I would enter that information at this point also.  For those who show up with an unexpected pet--"We didn't realize you were traveling with a pet-- we do charge a pet fee ...." and put however you want to take care of that.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Joe2862 

Joe, I have studied your lovely listing description very closely and I cannot find a reference anywhere regarding a pet fee. If you are sure you do set a pet fee, I would check your listing in case the Airbnb programming gremlins have removed it!

The only reference I can find regarding pets is, you allow them, and you set a limit of 2 pets......or to be a bit more precise, in the booking section you accept more than 2 pets but need to be advised if more than 2 are coming! However in your house rules you set a 2 pet limit and advise that the guest must clean up after their pet and there is a pet waste station......but no mention of a pet fee!

From reading fully your listing description I would be a bit annoyed if a pet fee was suddenly sprung on me after I booked.

You need to make some fairly prominent mention early in your description that although pets are accepted they will need to be noted on the booking confirmation and a $30 pet fee will be required.

That way the guest can't claim they were not aware.

Cheers........Rob 

Robin4, Thanks for taking time to read our listing, and for your kind words. I've made the necessary changes. All part of the learning curve I guess. I mistakenly assumed that guests would realize they need to add a pet to their booking. Fortunately we've have very respectful guests.

Kim866, Thank you as well. Your comments were very helpful.

Best regards,

Joe

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Joe2862   Many people searching on AirBnB will enter the number of persons but they neglect to enter the number of pets.  Lots of my guests will ask "how do I pay the pet fee" when all they had to do was include the pet when beginning their search.

Anyway, my response or welcome message to a booked guest reiterates the dates of the reservation, the number of persons, and the fact that they will be bringing pets or NO PETS.  That tends to lead to the "Oh, I forgot to tell you about Fido" and then I bill through the Resolution Center and send my Pet Addendum.  Easy and done.

If the person insists that the "pet" is an ESA or service animal and no fee should be assessed, they get the ESA/service addendum which is far stricter on the expected care and activity related to the service animal (not pet), i.e., up to date on shots, under the care of a veterinarian, never left alone or crated in the property, leashed when outside, wearing identification harness and with the owner at all times.  It is surprising how many people will pay for the animal after receiving the Service Animal Addendum.

@Lorna170  Thanks for your advice. That makes sense now. We've had great guests so far, so I had to believe they weren't trying to sneak by the rules. I'll adopt your suggestions.