Pitiful Airbnb COVID cancellation policy

Pitiful Airbnb COVID cancellation policy

I would like to put on record my deep displeasure with Airbnb and the support I have received these past few days. In less than 24 hours, I had two canceled reservations, one of them was made last year, and they canceled the reservation on the guest's check-in day as his son tested positive for COVID.
Worst of all is that in both reservations, the full refund was made to the guests, that is, I will be at a loss.
I understand the situation we are going through, but unfortunately COVID has been around for a few years, I think it's unfair only for the host to be injured, to have this loss. And the guest? And Airbnb? I know that there are no culprits, but the least guilty, in my case, the hostess, is the one who is being harmed!
Airbnb's cancellation policy should change, guests should pay at least 50%, that's fair.
I've been a Superhost for a while and I've never used this community space before, but I came here today because it made me very upset.
See this Airbnb preference for guests, but it's worth reminding Airbnb that they would be nothing without us, hosts.

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Ana1276  It sounds like you have only just realised that Airbnb has this policy in place (it's been in place for at least a year) that both hosts and guests (not just guests as you seem to believe) can cancel penalty free if they have Covid.

I do appreciate this is frustrating - it's happened at least eight times to me since Xmas and I also had guests cancel in 2021 too. However as hosts we have freedom of choice about which platforms we use, and we can choose not to use Airbnb if this policy is a deal breaker for us.

When a guest cancels - we as hosts and Airbnb lose out in terms of lost fees. If a host cancels the guest loses out on their trip and Airbnb loses out on their fees. 

Hopefully Airbnb will amend this policy now Covid restrictions are lifting.  In the meantime I would suggest you look at direct bookings where you can set your own T&CS and other platforms which don't have this policy.

@Helen3 

Hi Helen! Yes, I am familiar with Airbnb's cancellation policy, in 2020 I worked for a company that had over 130 properties listed on Airbnb. Today I work on other platforms too, I don't just stay on Airbnb, but I believe it is my right and duty to show when something is not right. Do you agree with this policy? For both sides, I believe that responsibilities should be divided, it is unfair for only one side to be penalized.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes as someone who believes in mimimising the spread of Covid wherever possible, I believe this is a good policy.

Where it has gone wrong is that the policy should only apply to those actually listed on the booking and that Airbnb should collect proper proof of a positive Covid result.

As I have already pointed out both guests and hosts lose out under this policy when one side cancels.

As long as you continue to list through Airbnb you do so knowing there is a risk this could happen. 

@Helen3 

Statistically, this policy is much more harmful to the host as we cannot control COVID and I receive guests from all over the world. I take my opinion that the policy is indeed flawed and needs to be readjusted, but I appreciate your response.

I have just had a cancellation .Not Covid related . The possible weather that is forecast has put them off staying this weekend . Rain has been forecast but it is March in the UK. I feel a substantial deposit should be retained under these type of circumstances.

I hope Airbnb will alter their refund policy to take this type of cancellation into account. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Jenny1512 Since January 2021, the extenuating circumstances policy does not cover, amongst other things, cancellations due to weather or natural conditions that are common enough to be foreseeable in a location. In that case, your chosen cancellation policy should apply - you can find out more information here

I hope this helps 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Ana1276 and all, 

I hope you're well! We've announced some changes to the Covid Extenuating Circumstances policy recently. You can read up more on them and let us know what you think here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Update-to-our-approach-for-guests-sick-with-COVID...

Thanks 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Emilie Hi Emilie! I hope you are well too! That's awesome! This is great news, thank you for sharing it 🙂