Pricing Trial

Dorothy190
Level 3
Hickory, NC

Pricing Trial

We are in a pricing trial area.  Was not even told about it.  The format shows nightly rates or total cost that include Airbnb charge (no breakdown).  They claim this does not affect my payout.  It's a way that their charge is not showing to the guest.  I will be sending feedback to Airbnb.

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Dorothy190 

I assume you are referring to the "split fee" or the "host-only fee" structures ?

The "host-only fee" will affect your payout, you need to change nightly price.

They can be set in your account (payment/payout section):

Emiel1_0-1633207382583.png

Airbnb states that my earnings will not change.  Our house is located in Emerald Isle,  NC.  Every Airbnb host in this area are  also in the trial.  Even if I change my amount it does not effect how it shows up on my page.  Waiting for answers from Airbnb.  I also believe this is away for Airbnb to hide their price.  I think they should have asked if we wanted to participate. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Dorothy190 @Emiel1 

I saw that “simplified pricing” scheme and it seems to be aimed at concealing Airbnb’s cut from guests who have discovered that other platforms are cheaper.

It looks a little shady to me and it won’t take guests long to figure it out. All they have to do is compare the bottom line across platforms.

I wish they would quit fiddling with things that work and concentrate on things that don’t.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brian2036  "saw that “simplified pricing” scheme and it seems to be aimed at concealing Airbnb’s cut from guests who have discovered that other platforms are cheaper."

That may be part of it, but I think that mostly it is a response to guests saying that they want to see the total price they will be paying, not a nightly rate, then taxes and fees and cleaning fees added on only when they enter dates and number of guests. Guests don't really care what the breakdown is, they just want to know what they will be charged in total. If they see the same listing on another platform, that has a higher total, they willl go with the one on Airbnb, and vice versa.

In fact there are threads on this forum with guests saying exactly that- that they aren't interested in seeing anything but the total price.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah977 

If people want to see the bottom line before investigating a listing further then I guess all the taxes and local fees should be added in also.

Last time I stayed in Manhattan there was a long list of taxes and fees levied by the state and city that nearly doubled the bill.