Punitive 1* guest review as a result of upholding the non-refundable cancellation policy

Bradley125
Level 5
กทม, Thailand

Punitive 1* guest review as a result of upholding the non-refundable cancellation policy

As much as Airbnb's review system provides the illusion of being fair to both guests and hosts, the reality is that hosts are much more impacted by a bad guest review as our livelihood is directly affected.

A guest with a single decent review or even no reviews is able to book stays on Airbnb so if they get a bad review from a host, they can start with a new profile.

For hosts, the value of our listing is built up over time; one hard-earned review after another. If a guest decides to use the review system to punish a host, that value instantly evaporates.

Over the last 2 years, I've earned 14 consecutive 5* reviews, have a mean score of 5.0, Superhost status and reliably appeared high up in searches for a one-bedroom apartment in my city.

My last guest, who had no previous reviews, chose to punish me for not giving her the refund she wanted on her non-refundable stay. She gave me a 1* rating and wrote just four words ("not worth your consideration"). This punitive review & rating doesn't contravene any Airbnb policy and Airbnb support have refused to take it down.

As a model Airbnb host:
  • I consistently provide a first-rate service that has earned me fourteen consecutive 5* ratings on my apartment (average rating of 5.0)
  • I have earned and retained Airbnb Superhost status
  • I accept long stay bookings with Airbnb’s default long term cancellation policy
  • I accept Instant Bookings from guests without a previous recommendation 
  • I offered my guest a refund on the non-refundable stay but she declined as she considered the amount insufficient (she would lose the benefit of my long stay discount)

It’s at this point that hosts need Airbnb to step in and do the right thing. Instead, Airbnb is busy compounding and amplifying the punishment. Specifically:
  • Airbnb has sent me a delinquency notification advising that my listing is at risk of being suspended. 
  • Airbnb will remove my Superhost status at the next evaluation. It will be mathematically impossible for me to regain my Superhost status for at least 12 months after her review
  • Airbnb will incorporate the 1* rating in its algorithm that determines search order which will negatively impact my listing and business
  • Airbnb will incorporate the 1* rating in my average score and I will never be able to regain my 5.0 average. Punished imperpetuum.
  • Airbnb no longer publishes the ratings next to a review. This means that prospective future guests can only see my mean score and are unable to distinguish between a single aberrant review and an overall mediocre listing. Other online platforms provide much more transparency so that users can see the mean, mode and median ratings. Amazon is a good example of how informative reviews can be. Airbnb’s lack of transparency serves to increase the damage to hosts of a punitive rating.

Airbnb encourages hosts to accommodate long-term stays that are non-refundable stays and then allow guests to punish hosts when we stand by the policy. Airbnb’s review system facilitates a punitive review/rating and provides no support whatsoever to hosts who are victims of such punishment. Airbnb then uses a range of tools and policies to maximise the impact of the punishment.

The impact on me, my listing and my business is incalculable. I’ve taken my Airbnb listing off-line and looking to start from scratch; two years of hard work down the drain.

If Airbnb truly values our host community then urgent action is needed to rectify the damage done. Not just in this specific case but by introducing policies that appropriately protect hosts from vindictive guests.
25 Replies 25
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Bradley125 

IMO this "review' is nonsense and Airbnb should remove it.

From the content policy:

"reviews that contain no relevant information about a host or guest, listing, or experience may be removed"

There are to many stories from hosts about 1 guest ruined there reputation because of retaliation. Airbnb should work on this (and promised to do in the past) asap.

I noticed you did not wrote a review for the guest.

I noticed you did not leave a public comment on the review, at least giving you the opportunity to have your say.

Also i noticed this guest has no ID verified and no other reviews. I would never accept such a guest for Long term stay.

I wish Airbnb shared your opinion that the review contained no relevant information - they have said it's compliant with policy 3 times now. 

You make a really good point about accepting guests without verified ID - I learned my lesson there. The guest instant booked but I will restrict that to 'recommended guests' in future.

I plan to write a public comment on the review although, in this case, the impact is obviously the rating rather than the wording.

I am torn between continuing with this listing or starting from scratch..... 

@Bradley125 Many folks are of the opinion that reviews matter to guests more than ratings. And it's been shown that superhost and high ratings does not necessarily get you placed higher in search results.  The rating system serves Airbnb's purposes very well, and hosts are the only ones getting their knickers in a knot over them.

You can respond briefly and professionally to that review, state that it is a review written in retaliation, and point future guests to your 5 star reviews for an accurate and truthful representation of guest experience. That will go a long way toward encouraging guests to book with you.

By the way, I hope you are going to review this person. 

Teresa31
Level 9
Montana, United States

Leaving a response to the review is about your only recourse except for blowing up the phones at Airbnb, wasting much precious personal time and keep escalating the matter, that may help.

I recently had a guest lie to the fire dept., documented in fire report & submitted to Airbnb. The guest got a total refund for a long term stay. After over 10 hrs on the phone, 14 calls and 9 agents I was finally paid, her review stands. Airbnb doesn’t give a s…. About hosts, only income. Personally I’ve given up on the “status” of super host. It’s a mental tool Airbnb uses to get hosts to go above and beyond with giving us nothing in return. I do not book with superhosts when traveling myself just because of this. If you are a good host, offering decent lodging u will b fine. Respond to review. 

Your experience with the lying guest is horrendous - even with all your representation, not taking the review down is appalling.

I agree with you about the value of Superhost status - my sense is that it doesn't count for much. The big hit for me is my ranking in search results as I was mostly coming up on the first page and that's been a huge plus. 

I will respond to the review such as it is.

@Teresa31 Your comment on being persistent with Airbnb support inspired me to call them again. This time they agreed that the review wasn't relevant and have immediately taken it down. 

It shouldn't have been this difficult but it's a huge relief for me.

Whilst I got the outcome I wanted, Airbnb should have taken the review down because the guest abused the review system.

I've sent messages to Brian Chesky and Brent Potts about the need for Airbnb to better protect hosts.

@Emiel1 @Colleen253 @Jenny349 @Katja202 @Michelle53 @Christine615  @Z-2  @Pat271 Thank you all for your support, encouragement and suggestions.

@Bradley125 That’s great! So Happy for you! Airbnb should do better!

@Bradley125 You are so right about that. But very happy for you that the review is gone. Way to go!

@Bradley125  that is fantastic news. So pleased to hear it was resolved. 

@Bradley125 well done for persevering.

You are right that you should not have had to ask more than once.

@Bradley125 @Emiel1 @Teresa31 I think Airbnb should remove a lowest point and a highest point (per year?) when calculating the total score for host to make it more fair to the host. One off score can hit the super host very much.

That's a great idea - works for the Olympic diving and makes a lot of sense.

Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

@Z-2  Totally agree! That filters out the non realistic reviews. Great proposal. 

Groetjes Katja
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Did the guest mention anything about reviews in the messages? Sometimes this is enough to have the review removed, because it indicates that the review is probably retaliatory.

I just want to say that I feel terrible for you. You are so obviously a good host. As much as we try to give sound advice on this forum, this could happen to any one of us.