Reservation and Cancellation

Reservation and Cancellation

Hello, so im a guest and I have a problem. So, I booked a trip back in February (the 10th) and it was group trip for me and some friends graduation. Well, recently, a lot has happened. First, my grandmother is elderly and keeps falling (recently had knee surgery) so she has to get the other knee done. She plans to get it done the week after the graduation, the week of the trip  (she's waiting as long as she can until I graduate because its a big deal for everyone, FIRST GEN YAYY!!!) so, I will be the one to care for her. My grandfather passed and her two sons (my dad and uncle) stay further away so I am always her care taker. So, I will be caring for her after surgery. She is literally like my mom anyways so I don't mind. But, that has happened as well losing my job. So anyways, I tried to cancel last week (March 11) and they told me they have strict policy and I could only get 50%. I was understanding and went to process my refund but it was only trying to give me $2 back. So, after re contacting the host they told me that Airbnb would explain it. So, I contacted Airbnb and they told me that they would try to talk to the man about getting my money back. After some time, they told me he refused and that the 50% only covers if I paid the entire cost and I only paid half ($1,100). For me, that is a lot of money. I was already being understanding to take half but I refuse to take $2 out of $1100 that I paid. So, I tried to move the dates back to at least accommodate my situation and try to get a job to save money and get my grandma situated. They have now told me they recently changed their policy to having to book for at least 31 nights so im not allowed to change the reservation either unless I pick 31 nights when I originally only had 3. I keep contacting Airbnb and they are no help and my host does not try to help me at all. I feel like I have to beg for a reply and when I do get one its a scripted paragraph. I just dk what to do. Should I take it to small claims court? Even I just will take my half back. Im trying to be understanding but my host is also rude and unhelpful. Please help me. Honestly even after this mishap, if things changed and I was able to stay I wouldn't simply because of how unhelpful the host has been.

32 Replies 32

Thankyou to everyone who has been helpful and given advice! It was never that I felt "entitled" to a refund, I was just asking for advice on the situation and I think that is where it was misconstrued. I hope everyone remains safe, healthy, and blessed during these trying times for everyone! Again, thank you!

@Brianna143 

You're simply amazing!

"Wish your grandma get well soon, and 

Congratulations on your graduation and best wishes for your next adventure!”

"Don’t let negative people keep you from seeing all the positive still around !” 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Post removed as requested by OP 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen