Reviewing a guest who violates a house rule (smoking)

Alan1159
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Reviewing a guest who violates a house rule (smoking)

Hi,  I'm rounding the corner on my first year of hosting and have generally had a positive experience.  I've had almost no problems with anyone. 

I just had a booking for a weekend though, one of my guests smoked marijuana in one of the bedrooms.  There is a no smoking inside policy and there is a private backyard and garden where one could step outside and smoke.  My house manual encourages them to do so, if they are smokers.

Otherwise, the guests were not troublesome, did not damage the place and were not unusually dirty or anything like that.  Since it was marijuana, the smell has aired out pretty well, but there was just enough smell and some residue in the room from the marijuana grinder that I knew what occurred.  I'm not sure how to review this guest.  I don't think they deserve 5-stars for "respected house rules", but since there wasn't damage and there weren't any other problems.  On the other hand, I don't want to trigger a negative review of my place - there really wasn't any harm or sufficient damage done for me to need to pursue compensation - the room just needed to air out (luckily there wasn't a back-to-back booking). 

Obviously, I can't take a picture of a smell and really prove anything, but still, the guest unnecessarily violated a house rule.  I just wondered how other hosts handle a review for someone like this, or if I have to ignore the whole thing and emphasize I don't want smoking inside the unit in the future.

16 Replies 16

Thank you @Sudsrung0 for sharing your experience.  I found the smell of marijuana clears very quickly, and is less of a problem then cigarette smoke.  However, it is difficult to understand why anyone needs to violate a no smoking indoors rule, when this is more or less the norm and an outdoor space for this is provided.  It is very disrespectful.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

On the other hand, I don't want to trigger a negative review of my place - there really wasn't any harm or sufficient damage done for me to need to pursue compensation - the room just needed to air out (luckily there wasn't a back-to-back booking). 

@Alan1159 How would this trigger a negative review? If you're worried, wait until the last hour to leave a review, if you are going to say something.  

I have strict NO SMOKING ANYWHERE ON MY FARM rules, mentioned quite a few times, in winter i tone it down a bit but in summer bushfire season I am very firm. We've had people smoke recently (it's winter), outside, and one group I said nothing but another group broke 2 other rules so i did ding them for it in the review. 

I guess that's where I decide, were they otherwise perfect guests and was there no actual harm done? 1 infraction I tend to overlook.

like @Sudsrung0  we have an ozone machine which sorts our smells quickly.